SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I learned how to drive a stick on an old Ford tractor and the first car was an early 60s beetle.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
Mid-70s GMC rack body truck

Posts: 615 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
1980 Ford Pinto.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Late 60s Ford Cortina.

Ford USA imported them until 1970 when they switched to the German made Capri. I had a 1974 one of those later on.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3604 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Don't remember the year but it was an Oldsmobile Omega. Same as a Chevy Nova.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
VW station wagon, sometime in 1976. The car was older than that.

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Some ratty pickup on the Navy base. The guys with me thought it was pretty funny when I turned the key, the truck lurched, and then stalled. I had no idea what a clutch was at the time.

Posts: 3541 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
1982 Dodge Challenger. That was a fun little car for its time.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5291 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
1968 Volkswagen Square Back.

Posts: 572 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Chevy Luv truck.

Posts: 4222 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My old mans 1961 Chevy Biscayne. 2 door. Odd shade of tan. Straight 6. No power steering or power brakes. 3 on the tree. You did not drive it, you wrestled it. It was indestructible. It survived my learning process and the old man drove it another 10 years.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16379 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A dump truck with 12 gears, each with a hi/lo. I also had to learn to double clutch that boy.

Posts: 999 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
In 1964, a 62 Chevrolet Biscayne, local P.D. Car.
I was twelve and washing cars at my uncle’s gas station. From the wash bay to behind the station.

And the clutch survived.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8378 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1963 GMC Pickup, Granddad’s farm truck.

Posts: 1133 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
It was my Dads Chevy P/U, 3 speed on column in 1974-75 time frame.

Dam thing was famous for hanging in gear and had to get out and under hood realign linkage.

Posts: 1970 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
1985 Ford Ranger

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7148 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Interesting question for me. I learned manual on motorcycles then moving empty grain trucks around the farm, I was probably 13. I feel like I just always knew how. Those grain trucks had gearing and torque that certainly simplified the task. The 2 speed axle that was likely 3 years later

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5236 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
A 1962 Chevy Impala, three on the tree. That was 50 years ago. I drove manuals until 2005 when the vehicles appropriate for my needs no longer had a manual option. I will own another.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 739 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
1937 Dodge pickup. Three on the floor.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I grew up on a farm in the 50's and 60's.

Tractors, pickups, trucks, cars...all manual. Cars mostly 3 on the tree, pickups usually the same or a "4" speed where 1st was a creeper and only used occasionally, the "big" truck was a Chevy 6100 (?) a 2-1/2 ton, inline 6, 4 speed with a 2 speed rear end, vacuum shifted. With a full load of wheat on, you might...might... get it up to 35 MPH and if you missed a shift, you started over from a dead stop.

Good thing most of central Michigan is as flat as a table top cuz if you had to stop that thing loaded and going downhill, you were well and truly screwed.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post