SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My brother's '71 (I think) Ranchero with three on the tree.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always drove family hand me down automatics till I bought my first brand new car, a 1979 (or ‘80?) VW Rabbit Diesel manual. Taught myself manual on that car, somehow not destroying it.
Only manuals since.

Posts: 833 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1970 VW Beetle
1980 Ford Grenada (right hand drive)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6290 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
1963 Ford Ranch Wagon - three on the column.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16628 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScotP7:
Always drove family hand me down automatics till I bought my first brand new car, a 1979 (or ‘80?) VW Rabbit Diesel manual. Taught myself manual on that car, somehow not destroying it.
Only manuals since.

My grandpa had one of those. He claimed 50 mpg.

I learned on a Ford 8N.

Posts: 526 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I had the basic understanding of how to use a clutch from using a small tractor around the property since a child which I think helped. My first actual experience in a car was in 1968 when at 15 my older sister's boyfriend taught me in his 57 Chevrolet, 3-speed column shift.

I had no problem at all starting out, shifting from 1st to 2nd, or backing up, going back and forth our long, but fairly level driveway. Then he said "now drive over to the field, you're going to practice starting out on a hill, on the grass." The field was sloped, some sections more steep than others.
He had me starting out on a slight hill.... "what you need to do is not stall it but also not spin the tires." After stalling it and spinning the tires a few times I mastered that, then we moved to the steep section. The challenge there of course was by the time I released the brake, moved my foot to the accelerator and released the clutch to the engagement point, the car was drifting backwards so fast that I was spinning the tires some when engaging. He said "you're doing fine, you just need to get it just right, quicker. Many experienced drivers wouldn't be able to do this here." So after a few more times I got better and finally was able to consistently start out on that slope w/o spinning. Looking back on that now, once a person masters how to use a clutch I can't think of a better way to teach them how to do it on hills than on a grass slope.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7253 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
1976? Toyota Celica

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17533 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four speed on the column while stationed in Italy. Full size and probably a Fiat, but not sure. It was the shop truck and the guy who was on-call that week ran the DIN calls during his rotation. (Do It Now - emergency service calls).

The one that was the most challenging was an old Dodge van 3 speed on the column, while in Saudi. We drove some old beat-up stuff there. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1954 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1978 Pontiac Trans Am. Awesome ride, wish I still had it

"Dyin ain't much of a livin...boy"

Posts: 350 | Location: West (By GOD) Virginia | Registered: November 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
‘78 Toyota pickup. It was my first vehicle. My Dad bought it pre-owned from a guy in 1978 and drove it to work until I was 16, then he gave it to me. I learned to drive in my Mom’s Toyota Corolla wagon with an automatic, but my Dad taught me to drive the stick concurrently so once I turned 16 and got my “real” license the truck was mine.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1727 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very fine, low mileage 1976 Chevette....It never showed but only saw the taillights of others. LOL!

Posts: 597 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early 70's Ford work van. Three on the tree.
Boss drove a 50's car, I think Chrysler, the only thing I remember about it
was you had to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor to engage the starter.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:

you had to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor to engage the starter.
My 1950 Studebakers (I had two of them), the starter buttton was under the clutch pedal. Step on the clutch really hard, to engage the starter.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billfasttax
posted Hide Post
1953 Chevrolet in 1954. Good old 3 on the column.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming…......WOW! WHAT A RIDE!

Posts: 768 | Location: North of Atlanta | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schmelby:
you had to push the gas pedal all the way to the floor to engage the starter.

Same with my dad's '57 Buick convertible.

Posts: 4173 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
1987 Mazda B2000. No power steering or AC. We taught everybody in the neighborhood how to drive stick in that truck and it never had a clutch or transmission issue. Probably still running.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post