SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
1992 Ford Mustang.
Got the car when I was 15 We had a side driveway leading to my back garage that was about an 1/8 of a mile long. I’d start rolling, shift to 2nd, put it in reverse, back to where I started and do it all over again. I’d get home from school and do that over and over and over again.
By the time I turned 16 I probably put at least 100 miles on it in that side driveway.

I look forward to teaching my boys how to drive a stick in it one day.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25721 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
1960's Morris Minor with a 998CC engine.

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2440 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
First efforts in a '71 Capri.
Actually "learned" to be successful in a friend's dad's Datsun pickup.

Still own a 6-speed, love it.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12741 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My grandfather had a 1947 Willis Jeep.
I learned in that in Bay City Texas on his ranch.
In the mid 60s.

"The more People I meet, the more I like Dogs."

Posts: 2948 | Location: Houston,Texas | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
An old ranch jeep on my Grandpas 300 acres.

I was about 14 years old and we were in the middle of a big field. I was basically told, here’s the gas clutch and brake. Here’s the gear shift.

Ok drive boy…

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3654 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Model "A" Ford Pickup.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1983 Mazda GLC

It was my girlfriend's car (now wife). She twisted her ankle ice skating and I had to drive. I think she peed herself laughing at me trying to get the car out of the parking spot and to the door of the rink to pick her up.

Posts: 752 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
1951 Ford. Three on the tree.

Gained proficiency in my 1968 Dodge hippie van.

Posts: 11293 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1959 Rambler American 3 speed

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1372 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1972 Toyota Celica. My first car, bought it when I was 16 without knowing how to drive a manual. My mom taught me. Patience of a saint….

Posts: 579 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Synchronized : 1968 GMC truck. 401ci v6 and a 4 spd.
Non synchro: 730 two cylinder John Deere built in 1957.

Several different vehicles and various pieces of equipment after that.
Mack, Datsun, Chevy, Ford.
Gasoline, diesel, propane…
Manual secondary boxes, air shifted secondary, 2spd rear ends…
My Dad exposed me to a lot of different stuff growing up.

Posts: 6346 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
66 VW Beetle

Posts: 1695 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About a 51 or so Ford F3 pickup, granny gear 4 speed. What a beast. I was 7 at the time. Then got a 1930 Ford A model at 15, then 3 Corvairs over the years, and a Triumph TR-3. Got a new 84 Subaru 5 speed, taught the wife how in that, then a 93 F250 diesel that was her drive to work car. The guys in her office called it 40 acres. The F250 had a clutch like a tugboat. Got stuck in traffic in downtown Cleveland one time, my left leg damn near fell off. The good old days.....

Posts: 1646 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
1984 VW Rabbit GTI

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9446 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1960 Chevy short bed fleet side (Dad's) and 57 Bel Air w/ 3 on the tree (my cousin's car)

Posts: 794 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
1972 FIAT 124 sedan.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
I learned on my neighbor's Jeep Wrangler in preparation of buying a truck with a 5-speed manual.

Posts: 3541 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
1978 F350 dump truck. I worked for the city, and my boss told me this was the perfect vehicle in which to learn to drive a manual transmission. I asked why, and he said, "because this truck is nearly indestructible, and it isn't yours."

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
1971 Plymouth Barracuda.

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2124 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1986 Jetta diesel and an ancient 1970's F550 flatbed hauling pipe and steel for pool construction. Until the clutch mechanism's weld broke and became a real manual transmission without a clutch! Who knew?

P229

Posts: 3953 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post