SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
1965 Corvair Corsa on the runway of Aux field 4 on Eglin AFB.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
55 Chevy Belair (I think but cannot say with 100% certainty) - Did I mention it had no body on it. My Uncle Jack made this homemade “dune buggy” for us to learn how to drive. He had a 8 acre field that was our learning zone (track). Never have I had so much fun as I did when we went to visit him.

Posts: 3332 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
1950 Buick Special straight eight, three on the tree.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2107 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1954 Chevy Pickup, three on the tree, with my Dad's Mobil Station emblems on it, and the truck was red and white, like the Mobil Gas signs and pumps. Lotsa fun, but a long time ago.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Datsun pickup...5-speed. On the way home from the dealership. At 2:20 in the morning. I went with my roommate to buy his new truck, and I ended up buying one too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridgerat,

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2872 | Location: Tucson Sector | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
I started to learn shifting from the passenger seat of dad's '67 442. He clutched and I shifted. Then I started really driving either our '76 K5 Blazer or an '82 Toyota Celica. First car was a '79 Z28 4 speed we built the motor in.

Posts: 805 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
A 1973 Mazda RX3 Wagon - man that thing was fast!! Gotta love rotary engines... Smile

'veritas non verba magistri'

Posts: 4005 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1954 Chevy Belair with bad clutch - slipped so bad you couldnt kill it -

Posts: 176 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Some kind of very forgettable early 90s Chrysler econobox. It was a green convertible and it was totally gutless, but I don't remember anything beyond that.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3574 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
1958 Plymouth station wagon, bare bones, three on the column.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
First, a Sperry New Holland riding lawnmower, then a Farmall cultivator tractor, then a Honda 90 motorcycle, then a Morris Moke, and finally, an early Toyota pickup.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12920 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
1952 Mercury with straight-eight. My first car was a 1958 Fiat 1100–and boy did I learn about fixing cars from that lemon!

Posts: 18351 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late 60’s, in a mil-surp jeep. I may have been introduced to the basics in another vehicle, can’t recall but I got familiarity on said jeep during an extended visit at relatives’ ranch of my Mom one summer.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1548 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
1963 VW “Variant” 1500N. My first car. Picture from the net:

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'm not the only one to notice the variety of interesting cars/trucks/whatevers we all learned on! Cool!

Me, an early 1960's VW Beetle, then a 1948 Ford converted to a Good Humor truck -- my summer job for a couple years in the mid-1960's. It had a 4-speed with a Granny first, just used 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9367 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
In 1972 or so in a Late 40's / early 50's Willys-Overland Jeepster convertible. 3-speed on the column.

A high school friend's dad had a fascination with the Jeepster. He had 3 or 4 in the back corner of his business parking lot. He'd let us drive them around town. Couldn't really hurt them any more than they were already. It was fun.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 519 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
1956 Chevy 210 4dr sedan, 3 speed on the column. (theoretically with freewheel overdrive, but it no longer worked by then)

I've told the story before that I learned in my sleep. One of the trucks we had was a '72 Ford F350, that I'd never driven. But I dreamt about driving it two nights in a row. Then got up early the next morning and just went out and drove the Chevy for the first time, like I'd been doing it for a while.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1967 MG MGB 4 speed with non synchro 1st gear ⚙️

Posts: 379 | Location: Mansfield, TX | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1947 DeSoto-transmission was 1/2 manual 1/2 auto. Called a Hydro something. First total manual was a 1971 Triumph TR6.

Posts: 102 | Location: Conway (Myrtle Beach) SC | Registered: August 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Pumpkin orange Ford Fiesta. That little was a screamer for what it was; very light and around 100 ponies if memory serves. It would chirp second gear most of the time without trying and roast it and jerk the front end sideways if you wanted to.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post