SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
2014 international straight truck.

Has more gears than I'd hoped to ever see, but I did get my CDL on the first try with no restrictions.

Posts: 9404 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
The year was 1968 and I was twelve years old and got my first summer job working on a farm about a mile away (yes I had to walk there uphill both ways!).
The farmer was starting to bale the hay into square bales that would be shot into a wagon that was towed behind the bailer. Occasionally a bale would not land in the wagon and the farmer had an old (Ford?) pick up with a three speed shifter on the column. He showed me how to use a clutch and keep it in first gear as I followed the wagon around the field. As the days went on I was allowed to shift into second and by the end of the summer was driving that old truck all around the farm.
Thank you Mr. Bates!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6467 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
1978 VW microbus. It was a fun car.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
54 GMC faded red, with three on the tree and the gas, brake, clutch pedals and starter peg to deal with.

A little challenging for a 12 year old, but damned determined!

Used to drive my Pappy all over the county while he peddled is farm produce.

Posts: 1569 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fiat 128 sedan was the second car I ever drove with a manual. Got kind of proficient with that, then the same buddy who owed the 128 allowed me to get pretty good with a stick using his Fiat X1/9. I owe him a ton for that. Later on I got more experienced driving a neighbor's 240Z. So what did I get for my first car? An Olds Omega with a Turbo-Hydramatic 400 slushbox. Naturally... Roll Eyes

The first car I ever drove with a manual was a Ford Granada with three on the tree. A weird eye-opening experience since my parents only had automatic transmission cars since before I was a terrible two, but the Ford experience was useful in getting me interested in 3-pedal driving.

-MG

Posts: 2208 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
A motorcycle of some kind before I was 16. It was some flavor of a small (125CC?) dirt bike. Once I got the concept down, I had no problem translating it to four-wheeled vehicles (and one three-wheeled Cushman delivery thingy too).

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3350 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
First for me was a motorcycle around 10yo and then various trucks working for my Dad.

Posts: 749 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

3 speed on the column , in 1974, 6 cylinder.

Not this truck, but one just like it.

Dad bought it from The Iowa, Illinois Gas and Electric company with 78,000 miles on it for a song.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55174 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I learned in a mid-60s VW Beetle.

My first manual transmission car was a 76 Toyota Corolla SR-5 Liftback

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14248 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
1969 Plymouth Roadrunner

Of all the enemies that the American citizen faces, the Democrat Party is the very worst.

Posts: 10830 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WW 2 surplus Willis Jeep herding cattle on the farm. My 3 sisters also learned on it.

Posts: 617 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
1931 Chevrolet truck. It formerly carried ice for the Kansas City Ice Company, my dad bought it for $25 when they shut down in the early 1960s. Both my brother learned to drive a stick in the same truck.

Posts: 7631 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive a stick in a Deuce and a half when I got assigned to a mobile unit at Homestead AFB in 1990.

Weird. I can open and see the image in a separate tab but I can't see it in this thread in my post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Paten,

Posts: 3466 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1962 Porsche 356 Roadster

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mr.Brooks,

Posts: 598 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Early to mid-90's Mazda. It was either a 323 or a 626, I can't remember much about it other than it was a dark color.

Posts: 944 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Late 70's diesel VW-Rabbit

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
VW bug. It was a pizza delivery car, I learned driving business cars gave me a free rein to push the limits which was a big help later as a tv news photog.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8544 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
1997 Nissan Maxima. I still have it.

Posts: 7444 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nash Rambler three on the column.

Posts: 88 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
1959 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite like this one >

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1492 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post