SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
My buddy in high school’s CRX. Fun times. By the time I got my first car, when I was 18, I was GTG and bought a turbocharged 6MT AWD car.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12930 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
1968 Corvette Stingray. You would think a powerful car like that to be a bad choice for a beginner, but the extra torque actually helped, resisting my every attempt to stall the engine.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16898 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
1967 Chevy Belair, slant 6 and a 3 on the tree.

Posts: 839 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
1967 Chevy Belair, slant 6 and a 3 on the tree.

Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Deleted. Double post

posted Hide Post
At the ripe age of 12, (in 1952) I would drive my grandfather from dry Irían County, Texas to the Tom Green County line, a ¨Wet* county for his half pint of Four Roses. I drove because he had to drink the bourbon before we returned because my grandmother did not allow any alcoholic beverages in the house! He did not want to risk a
DUI!

The car was a Model T Ford!

On the way back, it took us both almost an hour to figure out where the light switch was in the borrowed car! (On the steering hub, by the way)

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2149 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Learned on two old Ford tractors as a young boy. First non-tractor was a 62 GMC pickup.

Posts: 5748 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
First, a 1950 John Deere Model M tractor.

Then later a yellow 1950 Ford pickup, 3 on the tree, no a-c, no power steering, no power brakes, clunker-mobile.

Later a used 1969 Chevy pickup, 3 on the tree, no ac, no power steering or brakes, no radio, no armrests, had vent windows, took it fishing and hunging a lot.

I've been totally spoiled by cup holders and a-c Smile

Posts: 11981 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
66' Plymouth Valiant. It was my Dad's work & fishing car and we also had several trips to S. Dakota road hunting Pheasants in it.

Posts: 4837 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
A 1961 Willy's Overland Jeep M38A1 with a small block Chevy 350. It had four stick shifts.
-1,2,3,R
-Normal, Overdrive (Saturn all-range overdrive)
-2WD, 4WD
-Hi, Low

32 different gear combinations.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5519 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crappy early 70's work van. three on the tree.
But I think riding dirt bikes at 14-15 years
old made the transition very easy.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

TX in the late '50s early '60s, you could get your full DL at age 14, if you took Drivers' Ed, which I did. The DE car was a '57 Desoto, and I used the same car for my driving test. Never drove an automatic until years later, and never owned one.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10874 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VW Thing, luckily not mine.

Posts: 111 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsyodes:
VW Thing, luckily not mine.

Ughh, ugliest thing ever made!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1965 Chevrolet Pickup 283 with three on the tree.

Posts: 41 | Location: SOKY | Registered: March 09, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1953 Ford sedan my father bought off a friend for $25. My brother and I drove it around our ten acre pasture for a year until it threw a rod. My father then got us a 60 Chevy Impala which we used up until I turned 16 and got my license. Then I got a motorcycle and lost interest in cars for several years.

Posts: 31 | Registered: May 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
A '70-something Chevy pickup with 4 gears. First gear was so low my Dad and I always started in second, so it was basically a three-speed. And the steering was loose so it looked like one of those TV scenes where the actor keeps jerking the wheel back and forth driving in a straight line.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18091 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Bongo van with three on the tree in Busan, South Korea during rush hour traffic.

Posts: 12575 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I think we trained on a three-on-the-tree in Highschool Driver Ed?
Vaguely remember it.
I know we had a Fiat similar to the one pictured previously that I definitely drove and later in 1972 I bought a new Fiat 850 Spyder in Highschool that was a 4-speed manual.
My next three cars were manual as well > 240Z, Civic, 320i (still have Smile)

Posts: 23193 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
A '79 Honda Civic hatchback just like this one but blue. 4-speed. The town I lived in at the time had lots of pretty steep streets so I had to learn quick.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post