SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
Do they still sell baseball bats & hammers?
The whole lot of them are stinking sniveling cowards.

ETA - stickman brings up a good point. This will help every other ammo seller!

At way higher prices for the consumer.

Well if places like Targetsports, MassAmmo, Outdoor Limited & SGAmmo don't have to compete with Wallyshit and their HUGE ammo buys they will be able to get a better wholesale deal.
Supply and Demand...and the above websites like SGAmmo don't buttream their customers and call for national bullshit worthless laws.

Their (SGAmmo) prices sometimes are a little bit higher on special stuff like HST but if you get their emails, there are a TON of deals to be had.
(especially right now)

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Today I needed to pick up a few grocery and household items. Normally this would entail a trip to my nearest Wally World, but I went to Kroger instead due to this new policy! I also have Target as a nearby option, and will go there when my shopping is less grocery oriented!

WM can kiss off as they will get no more of my money unless there is no other option... and I can’t imagine that ever happening!

Posts: 4592 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bronicabill:
Today I needed to pick up a few grocery and household items. Normally this would entail a trip to my nearest Wally World, but I went to Kroger instead due to this new policy! I also have Target as a nearby option, and will go there when my shopping is less grocery oriented!

WM can kiss off as they will get no more of my money unless there is no other option... and I can’t imagine that ever happening!

About that...
Kroger too

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Never understood the hatred of Walmart. But I can’t suffer virtue signaling so screw ‘em.

Then again, I haven’t bought ammo at Walmart in years since I started reloading.

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Then again, I haven’t bought ammo at Walmart in years since I started reloading.

While not feasible for everyone, anyone that is able to accommodate reloading should give it a try. I only have a single stage Lee hand press and I’ve reloaded tons of .44, .357, some 45-70, and most recently.223. It is an enjoyable and rewarding hobby in addition to cheap fun in the long run.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even less reason for me to shop there now. The one item I could only find there (compared to other stores) was not stocked last visit, but the local Army commissary had it.

Posts: 3225 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had no idea that Walmart sold so much ammo. From https://www.usatoday.com/story...new-laws/2198475001/

"The changes it is making will shrink Walmart's ammunition market share from roughly 20% to between 6% and 9%, Bartlett said. The retailer makes up about 2% of the gun market."

I live in a very rural area, and I really appreciate WalMart building a store here. I shop there every week since I can't beat their grocery prices, and it is nice to be able to buy auto parts and electronics in the same trip.

But I never bought ammo there. It was/is such a pain to find the guy with the key to the display case, and I can beat WalMart prices on line, and pay no sales tax.

Since WalMart had 20% of the national ammo market, there is going to be a lot of sales opportunities for other vendors. I hope those other vendors prosper.

I have been using WalMart.com for on line purchases instead of Amazon, because of Amazon's anti-gun policies. I guess I will have to look further.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Greed frequently is a factor.

I will say though that at my LGS I was told that they can't buy ammo for what Walmart sells it for. I don't know if that is true but that would certainly be a kick in the head for the local business.

It's true. For some reason manufacturers will allow retailers to buy at distributor pricing, and then retail the product at or below the wholesale cost that everybody else has to pay.

It's not "greedy" to need to make enough money to pay the rent, employees, taxes, utilities, etc. A retailer could be selling an item for 25% more than Walmart, and still end up loosing money. I wouldn't call that being "greedy".

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I went to Kroger instead due to this new policy!

The local news reported Krogers is doing the same!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4274 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
So, how many employees nationwide are they going to "let go?"[QUOTE]

I expect none. Even though I only went to Walmart a couple times a year, I never, ever saw a clerk in the firearms, ammo section. I find it hard to believe that they have sold as much ammo as they have.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2091 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
Wal Mart, Dicks and the like need to get off the fence and just stop selling all guns, ammo, targets and cleaning supplies. Just dump it all, don’t even hold on to one box of shells for old grandpappy’s double barrel. Don’t be half assed woke, go all the way.

I agree, either you service the community or you don't.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Maybe I don't get it -- WM will stop selling ammo and THAT fixes everything? How about bring God back to schools? How about letting parents "attitude adjust" their curtain-climbers?

Again, maybe I don't get it. Maybe WM will pull their CEO's head out of their companies ass and remind themselves that WM is everywhere as are ammo purchasers. They have an idiot in charge.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
to: doug.mcmillon@wal-mart.com
date: Sep 4, 2019, 10:40 AM
subject: opposition to your recent 2nd amendment decision
mailed-by: gmail.com

Dear Mr. McMillion-

My name is (name witheld for internet purposes). I live in Marion County, WV. I read yesterday of your recent decision to halt all handgun ammunition sales along with "assault rifle" ammunition sales.

I am writing to express my sincerest disappointment.

I will qualify my opinion by informing you that I am a proud active duty non-commisioned officer US ARMY veteran, and a seventeen year (17) full time sworn local Law Enforcement Officer. I also served for six years on a Federal Law Enforcement Task Force. I am telling you this to establish my credibility. My opinion is MINE. Not that of my Department or the ARMY.

I am disheartened to learn of your recent decision, just as I was disheartened in 2015 when my local Walmart stopped selling Sig Sauer and Bushmaster sporting AR-15 rifles.

A "good guy" with a gun is the best solution to a "bad guy" with a gun. We, the Police, are usually at least a few minutes away. Murder has been a crime, since the days of Jesus; it is within the Ten Commandments. CRIMINALS do not obey laws. Law Abiding citizens do. CRIMINALS usually steal their firearms and ammunition from law-abiding citizens, or facilitate straw purchases.

I am saddened that you would choose to symbolically deprive law abiding citizens, including me, of lawful purchase of firearms and ammunition afforded by the 2nd Amendment of the US Constitution. You sir, have infringed upon that right with your new policy.

As a result, I will be shopping elsewhere, for all retail goods, until or unless you remedy this knee-jerk decision.

We live in a free society, maintained by checks and balances, and protected by Patriots. I urge you to reconsider your decision which is limiting the law abiding customer of your chain. I must wonder what Sam Walton would say, if he where here.

Respectfully,

rangemaster(name witheld for internet purposes)

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
They don’t have to. The panic buying idiots will gobble it up with quickness now that this is getting lots of media coverage.

In a perfect world, I’d just love to see all the ammo they want to sell out of just sit on the shelves for the next twelve years because gun owners abandoned Walmart but I know that’s not going to happen.

Oh well, I still have Academy Sports to run to when I need that oddball box in a pinch.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If I need an oddball cartridge I just buy it at the range/shop. I'm not that concerned about the price of a single box of ammo.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I've been saying fuck Chinamart for I dunno, 15 years or more. Local stores or out of town, shit holes to me. I only go there if I need some kitchen utensil, measuring cup, etc, in the middle of the night when nothing is open and I need said item. Otherwise they don't get a penny. I always found their ammo prices stupid. I can order online for much cheaper and get better quality ammo to boot.

Well Bye.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12644 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Since the alcohol they sell contributes to alcoholism, spousal abuse and child abuse from said alcoholics, drunk driving which of course leads to killing innocent people, property damage, higher costs to government to enforce the laws, I presume they will also virtue signal their desire to end drunk driving and curtail alcoholism by working with congress to create common sense alcohol laws. And of course stop selling alcohol...

Not to mention reduce cancer by stopping selling cigarettes, and stop child youth participation in vaping and cease selling vape materials/machines or resupply vaping cartridges, whatever it is that vapers vape...

Come on WalMart, lets work to re-engineer all problematic items that contribute to the downfall and degrade health of society,

Be Well, Doug McMillion,

BTW has anyone figured out how to use the three seashells?

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
Problem is, this is just a sign of things to come.

I know a lot of folks will say just buy online. Issue is some states target that also. What happens then?

Yes, Commiefornia already does this. Yet another reason to GTFO.

quote:
Others will say start rolling your own. Great, but components won't be far over the horizon when they finally hobble the assembled ammo market.

Eventually what used to be a fun hobby becomes a pain in the ass and support drops out. People get busy with life and family and say fuck it, throw the shooter in the closet, drop their club memberships and stop going to competitions.

Anything like what walmart is doing is just another cut toward eventual death of what used to be a really fun pastime.

All this is probably true. Hopefully, either the pendulum swings the other way or the revolution comes before it becomes irreversible. Hopefully if it does come to revolution, it happens at the ballot box. Interesting times are around us and ahead...

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
quote:
but I went to Kroger instead due to this new policy!

The local news reported Krogers is doing the same!

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2702 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Kinda figured once Sam Walton was out of the picture that Wal Mart would be run by GDC's.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post