SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
I can get bath soap, shampoo and shaving supplies cheaper from the dollar stores; food cheaper from discount grocers;

Have you checked to see what their stance on firearms is? Doesn't make a lot of sense to be running from one anti-gun business to another.

The point is that people feel stabbed in the back by Walmart. I'll walk into a Whole Foods for a bottle of hot sauce or a single tube of crappy natural, organic toothpaste rather than give Walmart the pleasure of my business ever again knowing full well the stance the Whole Foods corporate office likely has on guns.

Screw 'em. That's the point.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30560 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Like I said in another forum, Walmart's new stance is a kick in the gut since they were my go-to ammo store. I'm not up in arms about their doing away with open carry, but even so, not selling handgun ammo anymore seals their fate with me.

I usually alternate grocery store visits between HEB and Walmart, but now HEB will get my grocery business. Academy Sports will be my ammo source until I find a cheaper place online. I know Academy has been wishy-washy on their AR-15s in the past, so it will be really sad if stores like Academy follow suit.

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1201 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
[Sarcasm]Since the last panic, who needs ammo?[/sarcasm].

Posts: 3205 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I have a store 3 minutes from my house called Banks. The owner has an extensive class 3 collection and has taken several classes from me.

I know where he falls on the Second Amendment.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Never liked the place anyway.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
No big deal to me. I've bought some ammo there in the past, but I usually had to hunt around the store to find a worker to open the case and make the sale. Real PITA, plus their prices were not that great. I don't think I've bought ammo there in a couple of years.

This decision does however piss me off. Why the F to these retailers think they need to be everyone's more compass? Oh some a-hole shoots some people so no ammo for the good guys. There decision to not allow open carry doesn't bother me much. For some reason on the odd occasion I saw an open carry at WalMart I found myself closely checking the person out. Probably because it's such a rarity.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Screw 'em. That's the point.

I get that part. What I don't get is why some want to screw the guys with this opinion over here, while at the same time supporting others with the same opinion over there.

If you're not going to patronize a business due to their stance shouldn't you not patronize others with the same stance?

quote:
Why the F to these retailers think they need to be everyone's more compass?

The same reason bakers don't want to deal with wedding cakes for gay couples. It's their business, their property, and their right to sell or not sell whatever they wish.

Instead of spending so much time frothing over Walmart, go down the street to your local gun shop and buy your ammo there. They'll appreciate your business and support your cause.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15773 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Well.

#fuckwalmart is trending on Instagram. Big Grin

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate Walmart, haven't set foot in one in at least five years, maybe close to 10, so it doesn't personally affect me other than pissing me off when big companies take stances like this. Given their general clientele, I'd expect them to lose more customers than they will gain over this but they must be banking on it being a momentary dip.

Posts: 2508 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I do shop at Wal-Mart from time to time when I need to purchase groceries and dry goods both, but I'm going to do my best to avoid them from now on. They won't notice my absence but they may notice 100,000 shoppers going elsewhere. Time will tell.

Posts: 108121 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I needed some groceries today.....actually, a fair amount of them. I usually just go to the Walmart Superstore and get them. Today, I said NO, I don't think so. I went to a Basha's Grocery that I haven't been to in years. They had done a total remodel and it is a really nice, big, well lighted grocery store now. I enjoyed shopping there today, and plan to make this my default grocery store. Walmart won't miss me, but on the other hand.....I won't miss Walmart either!!!!

Posts: 6645 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Obesity and diabetes are two of the largest health problems in this country.

I'm sure any day now Walmart with stop selling sugar and candy and cake and cookies and ice cream and soda and iced tea and Gatorade and Kool-Aid and fruit punch and fake juice and pancake syrup and...

Though that does make up a large portion of their customer base. "Walmart, where all the people who can't walk shop!"

Posts: 21178 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
This was the email I sent Walmart several days ago.

Dear Doug McMillon and Walmart leadership.

I'd like to offer my most sincere sympathies and condolences to the Walmart family of employees who were affected and suffered because of the recent public tragedies. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

I'm writing you to express my deepest disappointment in your recently announced policies regarding gun and ammunition sales. In the past my family and I have shopped at Walmart for the reasons most of us shop there. Walmart offered products priced for budget conscious shoppers, convenient locations, and the ability to buy a variety of dissimilar products at the same time making shopping easier.

We would regularly buy guns, ammunition, and hunting/ sporting goods, sometimes buy fishing and hunting licences, while at the same time buying groceries, auto products, clothing, and sometimes even toys, as well as pre-paid phone cards. Very Convenient!

However, I deeply resent the inference by Walmart's new policy that I, my family, or the vast majority of gun owners are responsible for the recent tragedies. Guns and ammunition did NOT kill or injure the victims...criminals and evil deranged mentally ill individuals committed the tragedies. Blaming guns and ammunition or restricting law abiding gun owners from using them for all law abiding purposes is a ridiculous and needless over reach by Walmart.

If you plan on restricting gun and ammunition sales to your law abiding gun owning customers, thereby inhibiting their ability to defend themselves and their families or conduct legal recreation and activities with guns and ammunition, then I would like to know about your policy intentions regarding other dangerous products you regularly sell:

-If a car battery, motor oil, or tires are purchased in a Walmart and used in a car in which a crime is committed that results in death or injury does Walmart plan to discontinue the sale of said items?

-If beer or wine is purchased in a Walmart and later leads to a drunk driving death or injury does Walmart plan to discontinue alcohol sales?

-If a Walmart customer purchases medicines and later uses them to commit suicide do you plan on discontinuing the sale of medicines?

-If a Walmart customer purchases tobacco products and later develops an illness such as cancer will Walmart commit to stopping the sale of tobacco products?

-If a Walmart customer purchases a baseball bat or hammer and it is used to commit a violent crime resulting in death or injury will Walmart stop the sale of these?

My family and I, along with our friends, appreciate Walmart shopping, but not when you adopt bad policies or advocate for ineffective ridiculous laws that impinge upon our ability to defend ourselves or enjoy legal recreation.

I urge you to reconsider your harmful and insulting actions and have no reason to continue shopping with you at this time.

A former customer

This is the response I received a few days later:

Hi XXXX, We appreciate you taking the time to share your concern with us. Be assured that your comments have been documented for our management to review. Thank you for contacting Walmart where we are always happy to help.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Obesity and diabetes are two of the largest health problems in this country.

I'm sure any day now Walmart with stop selling sugar and candy and cake and cookies and ice cream and soda and iced tea and Gatorade and Kool-Aid and fruit punch and fake juice and pancake syrup and...
...and EVERYTHING made with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Shelves would be EMPTY...

Unfortunately, there are just a scant few things (maybe 2 that I can think of) that Walmart carries that aren't available at H-E-B or Kroger, but at least my overall spending will be drastically cut at WM.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If WalMart cares so much about public safety, maybe they shouldn't allow drivers without insurance into their parking lots....

Posts: 122 | Location: N. TX | Registered: June 22, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I will be very interested to see how this affects their bottom line. We are no longer shopping there.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10939 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
The only thing we regularly buy there now is Mobil One oil and maybe the occasional deodorant or soap. They won't feel me because I was already gone for the most part.

Posts: 7290 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The point is that people feel stabbed in the back by Walmart. I'll walk into a Whole Foods for a bottle of hot sauce or a single tube of crappy natural, organic toothpaste rather than give Walmart the pleasure of my business ever again knowing full well the stance the Whole Foods corporate office likely has on guns.

Screw 'em. That's the point.[/QUOTE]

Our new Whole Foods has “no guns” signs on the doors. We still carry there although only go there if we can’t get it somewhere else. Nice place though with a restaurant and full bar. Just expensive, Whole Paycheck is right...

Posts: 918 | Location: SE-PA | Registered: August 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always been a Walmart shopper. They have had what I want, at a good price and they are less than a half of mile from me. This is going to change things.Can't completely avoid them, but they are sure not my favorite. They have abandoned their customer base and shown their true colors.

To hell with them. I hope this bites them in the ass. You are either all American, all the way....or you are not.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some good insight from Hornady and their prior dealings with Wal-Mart.

I've yet to meet anybody who's related a positive business interaction with Wal-Mart, they pull you in with their number of retail locations and the possibilities but, they'll eventually destroy you by increasing the number of requirements in their vendor compliance agreements, while chiseling you on price. Eventually, it costs you money to do business with Wal-Mart.

Why Hornady Stopped Selling Ammunition to Walmart 12 Years Ago
quote:
When Walmart made its most recent decision to flip the firearms industry the bird by changing multiple policies, Hornady Manufacturing reminded all of us that they stopped doing business with the retail giant back in 2007. Jason Hornady’s quote from 2007, shows that the company sticks to its values and doesn’t shy away from making tough decisions. Jason is the vice president of Hornady, and we were able to pick his brain about his past dealings with Walmart and what he thinks the effects will be from Walmart’s decision.

RECOIL: Why did Hornady decide to stop selling to Walmart back in 2007?
Jason Hornady: In my previous life, I worked for a company that lived and died by Walmart. And like many companies, Walmart treated them poorly. And, as we were going through these things with Walmart, I decided that if I was ever in a situation where I didn’t have to do business with them, I would not. And when I got to Hornady, we were doing some business with them, it wasn’t a lot, but they started to become difficult to work with again. I was in a situation where I made the decision for our company to walk away and everybody in the company supported my decision. And we have not looked back.

RECOIL: Did you feel any repercussions from that decision?
JH: No. Quite to the contrary. We then started being very public with the fact that we weren’t going to do business with Walmart. And we were applauded by our customers and our partners. Everybody thought it was a great decision. By not selling to them made us a far better brand for a lot of our customers. Essentially what it boils down to is that we decided to pick who our partners are. And we don’t pick Walmart, ever.

We believe in our partners, and part of my issue with Walmart is that they don’t support our industry, they don’t support what we do– they don’t contribute back. They take out of the industry, and they don’t put back into the industry, which is important to us at Hornady Manufacturing. Stealing a quote from a friend of mine, “We don’t manage our business from quarter-to-quarter. We manage our business from generation-to-generation,” and that’s all we’re looking for in the long run. We don’t believe that they [Walmart] were going to be good long run customers. And it turns out we were right. We feel the same way about other companies- we don’t sell to Gander Mountain direct. I believe the person in charge there is anti-gun. Until he calls my father and me and says he’s not, we choose not to sell to them direct. We chose not to do business with Sports Authority because of the same thing; they weren’t good partners. We chose not to do business with the state agency of New York after Andrew Cuomo came out and said he was going to try and break the firearms industry. We’re lucky that we can choose people that we think see the world the way we do.

RECOIL: We’ve seen Hornady products in Walmart more recently. How did that happen?
JH: From what we understand, each Walmart store manager has the power to bring in products they feel are applicable to the marketplace, and so in markets there places where they can purchase from distributors. We do business with a lot of wholesalers who distribute our products, and so, what has happened is in certain areas Walmart managers have opted to bring in merchandise through distribution. And, we wouldn’t necessarily know about it; There’s no way for us to track that, but we do not have any direct accounts with Walmart or Walmart.com. We have no interest in doing business with them.

RECOIL: What would you say to the people upset about the recent decisions Walmart has made?
JH: They shouldn’t be surprised. People shouldn’t be surprised over their decision, and we respect their ability to make decisions as a business. I’m certain that it wasn’t an easy decision on their part. I’m also certain that I’m glad that we were not a partner of theirs for the last twelve years, and certainly now. I don’t feel like we missed a thing.

But, the thing about this is that it’s not good for the industry. Any time you make it harder for somebody to participate in a sport, I don’t care what sport it is, as soon as you make it harder for that customer to participate in the shooting sports, the more likely he is to find something else to do with his recreational time. It’s not going to be good for the shooting sports industry, and it makes me sad. Nobody thinks that it’s good for the shooting sports industry because it’s just eliminating access to somewhere around 4,700 to 4,800 stores.

RECOIL: What ways does Hornady give back to the industry?
JH: We are heavily involved with the NRA, NSSF, youth shooting sports, as well as 4-H, numerous competitive shooting matches, events, and banquets. We not only support our industry but our community and our state, as well. We try to give back to the places where we live. I can guarantee you that you’ll never see Walmart’s name on anything in our locality, but you see all the family-owned businesses on them.

RECOIL: What are you looking forward to in the near future, as it relates to Hornady?
JH: We’re excited we’ve got a meeting with our sales force in two weeks with a hundred people coming to town to see our factory, to meet with our employees, and we’ll be able to reveal our new products to them. Shortly after that, we’ve got a PRS match that we’re participating in with several employees. We’ve got several hunts– it is hunting season, so everybody around here starts to get kind of smiley at the season. We’re certainly excited about some of the stuff for 2020; October 23rd is when we launch our new products. We’re proud to be sitting in the middle of Nebraska, the Midwest, running a business, not quarter-to-quarter, but running it for shooters.

Posts: 14802 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post