SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wal-Mart reverses stance, announces plan to limit gun and ammo sales Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Uh, guys, Target and Costco are more anti-gun than Walmart, even with Walmart’s dicklip new policies. Neither store sells ANY ammunition of any kind. And many of their stores are posted as prohibiting even concealed carry.

Has Target ever sold guns or ammo? Or Costco?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53249 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
The difference is the customer experience and product at Costco and target is at least decent. Walmart is a shithole that pretty much just had the ammo thing going for it

If I am going to a big box store that is anti gun I may as well go to one that is a pleasant experience (target) instead of the one that serves as a meeting place for the dredges and bottom feeders of my area (Walmart)

quote:
Uh, guys, Target and Costco are more anti-gun than Walmart, even with Walmart’s dicklip new policies. Neither store sells ANY ammunition of any kind. And many of their stores are posted as prohibiting even concealed carry.

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone thought regular ammo deals were to be had at WallyMart, they are morons.

^^^
During hunting season the Walmart in the adjoining redneck county has really good specials on 12 gauge buckshot. They even have giant plastic antlers so you can easily find the display. Of course you have to ask the guys working in the auto department to help you find someone in that department. Will see if that happens this year. Beat the price of online ammo quite a bit. But no,it is not a regular deal and I buy almost all of my ammo online.

Posts: 17529 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1368 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rarely go to WalMart these days, but back in 2007 I was just about a daily shopper at the ammo counter. Stocked up big time on .22 ammo. At about $14 dollars for a 555ct. box of Winchester, I amassed about 40K in .22

Probably more than I could ever shoot, but I felt it was an investment, and it has proven to be a good one.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The people they are pandering to will still hate Wal Mart and they won’t shop there.

Around here, WM was my only go to for 9mm actually bought in a local store. Everybody else is $15 per 50rd box just for range ammo.

There is no reason for me to go to their store from now on. I’ll just buy online until they get rid of that, too.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's their loss, not mine. Wal-Mart has always been a "fair-weather friend" of the Second Amendment anyway. If states or localities put overly burdensome regulations on firearms or ammo sales, or they just don't sell, they will dump them.

Although there were some good ammo prices to be had, it is a huge nuisance to A, even find somebody manning the sporting goods counter, or B, if it is manned, there are half a dozen people buying fishing licenses and other shit ahead of you. I have an Academy store and some other LGSs that can fill my ammo needs. But if nobody TELLS them all of this, they will think everything is fine.

Posts: 28690 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Ogie:
At way higher prices for the consumer.
If anyone thought regular ammo deals were to be had at WallyMart, they are morons.

They were the cheapest in my town. and way cheaper when they had roll backs or clearance. I bought 380 acp for 5.00 a box. 38 special for 11.00 . Remington core lokt in 243 and 270 for 14.00. 12 gauge 00 buck for 6.00

My state now takes sales tax on all internet purchases so the online isn't the savings it once was

Posts: 7876 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
My thought is that Walmart will modify this policy in the near future.

Foremost, how are they goind to cater to hunters and sportsmen by not selling them ammo? Shotguns are the only kinds of ammo they shoot? That leds me to the next point.

The CEO said he wants enhanced background checks, whatever that is, but since CA now has to have a background check to buy ammo from any vendor, Walmart can say that Point of Sale background checks do work and they can continue ammo sales.

If their policy is that even if a CA purchaser passes the CA DOJ background check, there still will be no ammo sales, then it's a spiteful policy.

I think they'll think this through a bit more and modify the new policy. If not, the only thing they have not available at Target would be oil and filters, at least that I'd purchase.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
All we have to do is convince Wal-Mart that all ammunition is made in China and those sumbitches will fall all over themselves to get it back on the shelves.

Posts: 109159 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Brass Pounder
Picture of roustabout
posted Hide Post
Every super WM I would go to made it difficult to get salespeople to the sporting goods counter. The store nearest me had a manager that shrugged his shoulders when I complained about it and told me their sporting goods help didn’t arrive until 3:00PM. Good luck any time before that. The ammo prices were pretty good, but they seemed to be on a mission to ensure nobody could actually buy any. I can get my groceries elsewhere, so to hell with em.

Posts: 1018 | Registered: August 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:

Has Target ever sold guns or ammo? Or Costco?

I don’t know why that would make any difference, but a few years ago I found a couple of old boxes of 12 gauge shot shells in my parents’ house, with price stickers from Target on them. My guess is they were probably purchased in the late 1970s or early ‘80s.

Target used to sell all kinds of stuff they no longer handle. I remember buying a set of bias ply tires for my VW Bus from them in the same time frame. They were terrible tires. I think they didn’t last 12k miles.

And I thought we were still boycotting Target because of their restroom policy, allowing men who identify as women to tinkle in the ladies’ room.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome to how Wal-Mart has treated the Bay Area for years. They aren’t the gunnies friend and never were. Their bottom line is and has always been what matters. How many who are pissed over this will stop shopping Wal-Mart and Sam’s Club? Probably not too many.

Posts: 4332 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chewbackup
posted Hide Post
I just read the Walmart press releases about the ammo pull back, i will no longer shop there for anything now. This type of BS liberal catering is sickening to me, this is exactly what is wrong with this country. I cannot believe that Walmart would turn its back on gun owners, and diminish the buying power and accessibility of ammo.

If anyone owns a firearm, or is part of the NRA, Walmart is a ZERO shop place from this date forward.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
A month ago, Wal-Mart stated that they did not intend to limit gun or ammo sales as a response to the mass shootings: https://www.bloomberg.com/news...sales-after-shooting

However, just now, the Wal-Mart CEO announced that the company is changing their policy:

From https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/0...rific-shootings.html

quote:
Walmart said Tuesday it will discontinue all sales of short-barrel rifle ammunition that can be used with military style weapons, discontinue sales of handgun ammunition and stop all handgun sales in Alaska, following two “horrific” shootings at Walmart stores this summer.

The biggest retailer in the world is also asking customers at Walmart and Sam’s Club to no longer openly carry firearms in stores, in states where “open carry” is allowed, unless authorized law enforcement officers are present.

It said it won’t be changing its policy for customers who have permits for concealed carry. And it will be adding signage to stores in the coming weeks to communicate the changes.

“We believe the opportunity for someone to misinterpret a situation, even in open carry states, could lead to tragic results,” CEO Doug McMillon said in a memo distributed to employees on Tuesday. “We hope that everyone will understand the circumstances that led to this new policy and will respect the concerns of their fellow shoppers and our associates.”

“We’ve also been listening to a lot of people inside and outside our company as we think about the role we can play in helping to make the country safer,” he added. “It’s clear to us that the status quo is unacceptable.”

McMillon said he will also be sending letters to the White House and other Congressional leaders, asking for action on “common sense measures.” He’s calling on the government to “strengthen background checks and to remove weapons from those who have been determined to pose an imminent danger.”

“Congress and the administration should act,” the CEO said.

The announcement from Walmart comes as the retailer has faced backlash, some from its own employees, for not pulling weapons from stores after a deadly shooting in July at a Walmart store in Mississippi, and another in August at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas, where 22 were killed.

When it reported quarterly earnings last month, Walmart estimated it made up about 2% of the market for firearms today, putting it “outside at least the top three sellers in the industry.” It estimated the company had about a 20% share of the market for ammunition.

Following Tuesday’s announcement, Walmart said it’s market share of ammunition will drop to range of 6% to 9%, falling to the lower end of that range over time.

“We know these decisions will inconvenience some of our customers, and we hope they will understand,” McMillon said. “As a company, we experienced two horrific events in one week, and we will never be the same.”

Walmart said it intends for its remaining assortment to be even more focused on the needs of hunting and sport shooting enthusiasts. McMillon said he is a gun owner, who grew up in a family that raised bird dogs, and he noted the company’s founder, Sam Walton, was an avid outdoorsman, who hunted quail.

“It will include long barrel deer rifles and shotguns, much of the ammunition they require, as well as hunting and sporting accessories and apparel,” he said.

Walmart also last month said it would be pulling violent video game displays out of stores following the shootings.

On Tuesday, McMillon said he will also be encouraging other retailers to act “to make the overall industry safer.”

“We are exploring ways to share the technical specifications and compliance controls for our proprietary firearms sales technology platform,” he said. “This system navigates the tens of millions of possible combinations of federal, state and local laws, regulations and licensing requirements that come into effect based on where the firearm is being sold and who is purchasing it. We hope that providing this information, free of charge, will help more retailers sell firearms in a responsible, compliant manner.”

Reports from employees in Wal-Mart stores in various states are they're being informed by corporate that:

1) Open carry will not be allowed in stores. Those customers seen open carrying will now be asked to return the gun to their vehicle, with law enforcement called to trespass the individual if they will not.

2) Wal-Mart will not be replenishing their inventory of handgun ammo. The stores can continue to sell what is on hand, but once current handgun ammo is sold, they will no longer carry it.

3) Similarly, Wal-Mart will no longer carry 5.56, .223, or 7.62x39 once current stock is sold.

4) Wal-Mart will no longer sell semiauto centerfire firearms. (The news report only mentions handguns, which are only sold in Alaska Wal-Marts anyway, but reports from stores are that this may involve all centerfire semiautos... If that's accurate, it's unclear if they plan to pull these from the shelves, or if it will be handled like ammo where inventory is simply not replenished once it's all sold.)

And Sam Walton continues rolling in his grave, as his company strays yet further from its roots.

I love my wife, kids, dogs, Sigs, and Glocks, knives--In no particular order!

Posts: 690 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Guessing the Walmart nearby was better than most. For a while, they stocked 50AE, but still no 7.65mm. Guess they don't sell everything...

Posts: 9424 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
While it has been years since I've bought ammo from Wal-Mart, this is disappointing because that's one less seller.

The CEO is an idiot. If I'm on that board, I'd want him to STFU and make money, not pander to a minority. If he can't do that, he needs to find somewhere else to work.

I bet local shops are happy as people will have less shopping options.

I have a feeling that WM will gradually go back to selling like they used to without any announcement. Afterall, they like money too much.

Posts: 13313 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:

I hope you know that “BabylonBee” is a parody site, much like the “Onion”. Roll Eyes

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2808 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Meh, I get that stuff at Academy or online anyway.

Screw 'em.

Posts: 7409 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wally World got my SIL registered to sell firearms and put him on the sporting goods counter a few years ago. He said they sold a boat load of ARs back then. And ammo sales were brisk.

It must be nice to be so big you can just piss away a whole segment of your customer base.

Collecting dust.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
The people they are pandering to will still hate Wal Mart and they won’t shop there.

so true

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post