SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please)
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 58
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please) Login/Join 
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
It took me 5 today. Lucky to get it at all.

Interesting about streaks. I did not start the NYT Wordle till fairly recently. My streak was somewhere around 50 when I missed a couple of days due to my internet provider losing power. I didn't think anything of it until my streak was reset to zero. Oh well, it's just entertainment.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Broke mine today. Had 4/5 correct on the 3rd guess & picked 4 wrong words.

2 of the 7 folks in our wordle group busted today. Like you, one of them had 4/5 correct on the 3rd try, yet he busted. He was not a happy camper.

I was lucky and got it in 4.

Posts: 6565 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Same, was going to post frustrating pic in AM. Last guess, phew.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had to go for it in three today and it was very close.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Got today's in 4. Almost had it in 3, but tried a political name there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:

Same here.

I hate those words. It broke me yesterday, too. I had three shots but didn't guess right.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
on one of my guesses, my daughter was looking over my shoulder and said, "Did you really think it would be that?"

Smile Smile

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11088 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Same here.

I’ve only ever missed one (Homer), as I assumed that was sports slang and wouldn’t be a word.

For wordle, the trick is not go for an early solve if there are multiple possibilities remaining.

For example, if you have -ROVE, and still have the letters T, G and D available and only two guesses, don’t try to pick. Instead, make a word that uses ALL of the letters, in this case GATED, and you can solve on the next try.

Posts: 2346 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

You got lucky, skins! Viable answers you didn’t try are BOUND, MOUND, SOUND, and WOUND.

After fOUND, a better choice would have been to try to eliminate the following letters: B, H, M, P, R, S, and W

“WHIPS” gets 4 of them, then if all are blank you can eliminate B, M, and R with BRIMS.

Posts: 2346 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I think you're the same one that gave that tip a few pages back. I've tried it with good success, but usually I just keep guessing at random for some dumb reason.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

Same here.

I hate those words. It broke me yesterday, too. I had three shots but didn't guess right.
When I'm faced with 4 letters right and many possibilities for the 5th letter, I use a test word containing as many of the possible choices I can to eliminate some of them.

flashguy

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Got it two today.

But, my wife asked me what’s a word with these three letters before I did it and I adjusted my first word accordingly. I couldn’t just I unhear her. Normally, I do it before she starts asking for hints.

Posts: 11597 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
I got it on two also. It helps to get three greens on the first try.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Got it in 3 today. (First 2 are standard test words.)

flashguy

Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Today’s (671) was tough for me. I got the last letter on the first attempt but didn’t find another letter until the third try (and it wasn’t even in the right place). Fortunately that meant I’d burned a bunch of letters and eliminated most of the common combinations with the one I had. Took a wild guess on 4 instead of trying a letter elimination word and was surprised to get it.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
6 today, was nearly out of letters

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15970 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I mixed it up a little and didn’t use my standard first two words. By the third guess, I had only 1 letter and it wasn’t even in the right place. Fourth guess got that letter in the right place and I got 1 more letter in the wrong place. I stared at it for 10 minutes before it dawned on me and I got it on the fifth try.

Posts: 11597 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got it on the fifth try

Tricky today.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post