SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please)
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 58
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please) Login/Join 
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
My wife’s statement (she got it in six, I got it in three): “That one’s bullshit.”

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8868 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I got it in four. My exact question was "Is that even a real word?".

Posts: 1965 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I call bullshit.

Took me six, even after I made the mistake of looking at this thread so I had the hint it was an acronym and not a real word.

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I got it in 3. You guys need better opening words. Big Grin

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I got it on the 5th word. They cheated--it's not a real word, it's an acronym.

I almost never get anything on the second word because I use the first 2 as my test words: AUDIO and PESTY. I do often get it correct on the 3rd word, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It’s been in use longer than SCUBA. If scuba is considered a word, then today’s wordle is probably a word as well.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It’s been in use longer than SCUBA. If scuba is considered a word, then today’s wordle is probably a word as well.
IMO, if you capitalize it (upper case) it's an acronym, not a word. Radar and scuba have gone through the transition, but I was not aware that this "word" had.

flashguy

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
It’s definitely made the transition from uppercase.

I hate to link this article, but it’s from almost 20 years ago:

New York Times - click for spoiler on word.

Posts: 2340 | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Today's is not a word, is it?

The wife was not happy about it, and still insists it is NOT a word. Eek

Posts: 6558 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Since it’s now yesterday’s word:

I used SAUNA as my third word thinking SNAFU wasn’t a word. It still seems different from radar, scuba, laser, taser, etc. If someone were to ask me what any of those words meant, I’d give an explanation that didn’t involve the acronym itself. If someone asked me what a snafu was as, then I’d tell them flat out situation normal all fucked up.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that SNAFU word was odd and lately, some of their words seem to be outside of the norm.

They say no Spanish but GUANO was the correct word. Before that, it took UMAMI.

They seem to massage what's an acceptable word in other languages.

Posts: 4243 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Wordle recently had the first word I've never seen in life, LOCUS.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Guano and locus both stumped my wife. Guano has been used in English for hundreds of years. I read about it in several books, but can’t remember which. Maybe a Hardy Boys or Swiss Family Robinson. I remembered locus as a math term having to do with parabolas. Probably because I sub for Algebra, Algebra II, Geometry and Trigonometry quite a bit.

There was one with in the last couple weeks that I got just by putting letters in as I had no clue what the word meant.

What trips me up is when I’m thinking of the letter combinations and miss the pronunciation. For example, I’m sitting there thinking ratio, rhyming with patio, isn’t a word.

posted Hide Post
got LOCUS in 4. after first trying FOCUS as guess 3.

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
got LOCUS in 4. after first trying FOCUS as guess 3.

Same here. I always considered it a Latin word, which was why I hesitated to use it.

Posts: 6558 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Wordle recently had the first word I've never seen in life, LOCUS.
Obviously, your high school did not offer geometry.

flashguy

Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Got it in UNDER five

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Has it been mentioned that Quordle added a new version of their game called Sequence. You can only play one quadrant at a time. It’s in the drop down up top.

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Today's word almost threw me. Took all 6 tries.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2154 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Same here, 6 tries.
More commonly known as a brand name, not the word.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post