SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 58
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please) Login/Join 
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Wordle archive is gone, the following message appeared today:

quote:
all good things must end.

It has been a fun three months since I launched this archive and it brought joy to a lot of us but all good things must end. The New York Times has requested that I shut the archive down - to be honest, I was wondering what took them so long.

To those of you who contributed to this open-source project, I thank you. To those of you who wrote to me, I thank you. To those of you who "requested" I take down the archive, I "thank" you.

Cheers,
Devang

Will this be the first step in the NYT moving "live" Wordle behind a paywall? Just as I was looking forward to having played 50 since they took over the site (now at played 47 out of 48 puzzles, and winning 46).

Posts: 6740 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've continued playing Wordle, and sometimes can do more than one puzzle a day. Lately I've only failed twice in 43 tries. I've actually solved almost 1/4 of them in the 3rd entry, following my standard 2 "fishing" entries: AUDIO and PESTY. I actually once solved it with #2, PESTY. Only 10% are solved in the last try.

The most challenging puzzles to solve are those that only return one "hit" letter of the 10 in the 2 "fishing" words--naturally, it's a vowel (since all of them are covered by the "fishers"). So far, I've not encountered a word that did not have at least one vowel.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
RENTS & AUDIO are my openers, got them from this thread.
There have been 1 or 2 with no hits from those, GLYPH being one of those, or maybe it was NYMPH.

Still doing Worldle, too. Some of those are really challenging.
Australia was a gimme.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A part of our morning routine, we also do QUORDLE, a matrix of four Wordle games played simultaneously with nine chances to guess correctly, and OCTORRDLE, a matrix of eight games and thirteen lines of guesses.

Our usual starter word is “adieu”, my wife likes “storm” as a follow up guess.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1547 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I use LEANS.

ETA: Just tried quordle. That's tough! I like it.

Posts: 20520 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Fun game to play during my morning activities. Only missed two so far, but one annoyance is if I start but don't get back before midnight it counts as loss. Almost perfect bell curve around four guesses.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21093 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I use LEANS.

SLANT is another good one.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14138 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I play every day. Usually doesn't take long to play. It's fun. Got it on my third try today,

Posts: 1070 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Daily Quordle 79
7️⃣3️⃣
8️⃣5️⃣
quordle.com

First time trying the Quordle. I like Wordle in the morning.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I use LEANS.

SLANT is another good one.
I favor initial trial words that cover all 6 vowels, with different consonants. I always use AUDIO as the first word (it has 4 of the 6 vowels) and either RHYME, PESKY, or PESTY as #2--I've been having good luck with PESTY lately. Word #3 is my first actual attempt to find the test word, using the outcome of the fishing expedition.

I noticed something interesting in today's puzzle--on the keyboard the correct letters are located going from right to left (ignoring being in different rows); yesterday they were from left to right.

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Today's Wordle: Is that even a word? Not part of my normal vocabulary.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Today's Wordle: Is that even a word? Not part of my normal vocabulary.

There are two meanings I'm aware of, one secular and the other religious. I haven't seen it used in print in some time.

Posts: 7383 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
You get a letter--how do you even consider that it might be used again?

Year V

Posts: 2671 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
You get a letter--how do you even consider that it might be used again?

a few days ago the word was FLUFF.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
For more fun, try the waffle and weaver word games.

Posts: 11540 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
not sure if anyone here is still playing. But if you got today's word, you are smarter than me.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
not sure if anyone here is still playing. But if you got today's word, you are smarter than me.
I surprised myself and got it on the 5th try. The wife didn't. I win. Big Grin

The wife and I compete in wordle and quordle. I also play worldle but the wife doesn't like it.

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
5th try. Didn't actually guess the word, I resorted to process of elimination.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21093 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

The wife and I compete in wordle and quordle. I also play worldle but the wife doesn't like it.

Wordle & Worldle here.
Wife only does Wordle

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

Wordle & Worldle here.
Wife only does Wordle
Have you tried quordle?

Posts: 45529 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post