SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please)
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 54
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wordle (word game). Don’t give spoilers! (Please) Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have played it twice and gotten it on the 4th try both times. I kind of like the game.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Wordle has been bought by The New York Times, will ‘initially’ remain free for everyone to play

The smash online word game Wordle has been bought by The New York Times, which will integrate the daily word puzzle into The New York Times Games suite of word games, creator Josh Wardle announced today.

Wordle will “initially remain free to new and existing players” once it moves over to the Times’ site, and Wardle says that he’s working with The New York Times to preserve players’ existing wins and streak data once the game heads to its new home. That said, The New York Times’ announcement leaves plenty of room for the company to decide to put Wordle behind its paywall in the future.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12377 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
Thanks LS1 for the link. It's a fun game and I've been going through the archived games that frayed linked.

Certain amount of random chance to it at times. My first two guesses were audio and stern followed by bound, sound, mound. Got lucky with pound on the 6th try. Found, hound, or wound would've ruined my streak.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Just looked at the settings out of curiosity and saw they have an adjustment for the colorblind.

The color differentiation is so much better now….

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5783 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My cable has been inoperative for a week and both TV and Internet were unavailable. However, I had gone to the Wordle archive before it went down and apparently that made it possible to me to access the earlier puzzles. I worked all 224 of the archived puzzles and solved all but 12 of them. Quite a few took all 6 tries, but I did do a couple in just 2 (my 2nd standard check word was the word).

I begin with "audio", which has 4 of the 6 vowels, and usually use "whelp" or "whelm" as the second word if several vowels appear in the initial test; if none or only one vowel I'll use "rhyme" as #2, to cover all the vowels. That ploy usually results in a solution.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another, similar game popped up in my news feed last week.

https://worldle.teuteuf.fr

You get an image of a country & 6 guesses.
Instead of highlighting correct letters, it gives you direction & distance from your guess to the correct country.

It pops up a lost as you type, so you don't have to know the exact spelling & choose from a populated list.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15731 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Instead of highlighting correct letters, it gives you direction & distance from your guess to the correct country.

It pops up a lost as you type, so you don't have to know the exact spelling & choose from a populated list.
I guessed today's (Sunday) in 4 tries--got it on the 4th with a lucky attempt to get close.

flashguy

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I installed the app called “Word Guess” which is the exact same as the Internet version. I figure soon The NY Times online version will soon be available only to subscribers so I downloaded this app. I just wish they would let you place letters into boxes you felt they belonged instead of entering letters from left to right. I do better visually seeing the letters in place.

Posts: 8712 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
My game history got reset today, I'm gussing the NYT has adopted the server.

Posts: 6647 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
got it in 3, with some luck.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11023 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm gack to the Aug 2021 archived games now. I solve maybe 95% of them.

flashguy

Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I like this one. First try on today's Cool

Thanks!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3541 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It is a fun little five or ten minutes.

My first word is one with lots of vowels. If you Google, you can find several suggestions. There are other strategies.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53177 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What's up with this one? Who'd guess a five letter word with three R's?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20992 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Back out and close your link. Then come back.

That was not today’s word. Smile

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14089 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It is a fun little five or ten minutes.

My first word is one with lots of vowels. If you Google, you can find several suggestions. There are other strategies.

I like AUDIO, RENTS, or LEANS.

I figure the first word or two are there to eliminate the most commonly used letters.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14089 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:

Back out and close your link. Then come back.

That was not today’s word. Smile

I know, I'm doing the archives on some fake webpage.

https://www.devangthakkar.com/wordle_archive

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20992 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah I don’t like words that a letter in more than one place. I wish there was an indicator.

Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I have now completely moved on to using the phone app I mentioned before that is the exact same.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had no trouble solving "ERROR". I've got a pretty good record with the Wordle archives--only 11 fails in more than 230 puzzles. My beginning words are "AUDIO" and "PESTY".

I've had pretty good luck with the 6-letter Wordle, too. For it I use "DOUBLE" and "SANITY" as the first 2 tries.

flashguy