SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
If I have a braced gun (a "pistol") and I decide to register it, tax-free, during their "amnesty", I'm not actually creating a tax-free SBR, but I just get to keep the fucking brace and not actually put a stock on it? And presumably, because it's now an NFA item, I need to beg permission to take it across state lines?

No, it's a SBR. Same as any other SBR, except you just don't have to engrave your name on it or pay the $200 tax.

As a SBR, you can put a normal stock on it, along with a vertical foregrip.

You do have to follow all the usual NFA stuff pertaining to things like Form 4 transfers and travel across state lines.

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Can this be done by eForm1?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. They have a specific eForm 1 set up for these amnesty registrations. It's already live on the ATF's eForm site, even though the rule itself hasn't been formally published in the federal register yet. Click on the big red button on the right side here: https://eforms.atf.gov/

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, the ATF is offering an amnesty/registration at no cost. Is that correct?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, the ATF is offering an amnesty/registration at no cost. Is that correct?

That’s the crux of it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31373 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it sounds like a bad idea.

Posts: 107250 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
It's ONLY a good idea if you have Braced Pistols you planned to SBR anyway, and then it's actually not a bad idea at all. If you already have NFA items, there's really NO downside because you're already in the NFA Registry anyway.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8784 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you were going to SBR something anyway I can't see the downside. And the huge plus is you don't have to engrave it, and you can use it as an SBR right away rather than wait for your F1 (2 months?), or F4 (9 months?) to come back.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
So, if you have a lower receiver that you were going to SBR, you can get the amnesty if you have a pistol brace for it but no amnesty if you intended and don't have one yet?

Posts: 12433 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I wonder if SHOT will have any new innovations for all those AR-15 pistols never designed to be shouldered. Big Grin My wrist-rocket was much better than a slingshot. The AR grip module can take a little abuse so why not leverage it a little and take the shoulder out of the equation.

We need more FUs to the ATF. So, I'll read this 290 page rule and see if I can take the brace off and attach a single point bungee sling for a pistol and the brace and 16" upper for a rifle. Hoping the rule of strict construction applies. I'm not really a stamp collector as they seem more illiquid down the road. A 22 suppressor would be nice, I'll get on that someday.

The NFA is racist and should be abolished. The ATF should just vanish with a finger snap.

Watching now.

Posts: 3483 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It's ONLY a good idea if you have Braced Pistols you planned to SBR anyway, and then it's actually not a bad idea at all. If you already have NFA items, there's really NO downside because you're already in the NFA Registry anyway.

Aside from the whole “shall not be infringed” thing, the biggest downside is being restricted from not transporting it across state lines without informing the ATF. I have an AK pistol with a brace that is my travel companion when I drive that I’d really like to keep in that configuration and not have any restrictions.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Well, there is that, if that's something you'd typically do. Honestly that's not always an option anyway, depending on where you live. While I 'might' be able to do that in ME, it's not an option anywhere else in New England, and NOT in NY or NJ either! I'd probably have to drive 400 miles through 'enemy territory' to get to PA, before I could do that legally. Roll Eyes

I guess another thing 'could' be that while you CAN keep a loaded 'Pistol' in your car, you can't keep a loaded SBR in you car, so that could be a downside for some as well

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8784 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I live in the south so I’m free to travel with the AK pistol and brace as of right now. This ATF ruling changes that.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I see this...

quote:
The rule’s amended definition of “rifle” clarifies that the term “designed, redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder” includes a weapon that is equipped with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment (e.g., a “stabilizing brace”) that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder, provided other factors, as listed in the definition, indicate the weapon is designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.

I wonder if you could design a brace that attaches to the forward handguard and then runs down the side of the receiver. Then it wouldn't be a rearward attached accessory and wouldn't meet the new definition of rifle. Right?

Posts: 11151 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I see this...

quote:
The rule’s amended definition of “rifle” clarifies that the term “designed, redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder” includes a weapon that is equipped with an accessory, component, or other rearward attachment (e.g., a “stabilizing brace”) that provides surface area that allows the weapon to be fired from the shoulder, provided other factors, as listed in the definition, indicate the weapon is designed and intended to be fired from the shoulder.

I wonder if you could design a brace that attaches to the forward handguard and then runs down the side of the receiver. Then it wouldn't be a rearward attached accessory and wouldn't meet the new definition of rifle. Right?

your new invention would deemed in violation of the "spirit" of the rule.

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ @Skull Leader, You probably could and get it approved and then two years down the road the ATF changes its' mind again. Which gets you right back to what we are all facing today, illegal or not. I truly hope this blows up in their faces but with all the vagaries of court decisions and the fact that some folks bought these with a "Wink, wink Bob's your Uncle" attitude to circumvent laws and did so with numerous video clips posted to the internet, it makes it harder to defend that it is anything but a defacto SBR. I don't like it either and wasn't one of those doing those things, but am going to be caught in the middle of this shitstorm just like everyone else. Perhaps we will get real lucky and this fiasco will precipitate an actual legal change to the NFA which is what ultimately needs to occur.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2872 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
So, if you have a lower receiver that you were going to SBR, you can get the amnesty if you have a pistol brace for it but no amnesty if you intended and don't have one yet?

Not sure. I think you could but this whole thing is a clusterfuck.
At one time I think they wanted a photograph of the brace. That might have changed.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, it sounds like a bad idea.

My thinking also.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Is ATF open today to do this? MLK day shut gov down normally.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Today is a federal holiday, so ATF offices won't be open.