SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Free?

Wasn’t that the deal? A one time window to register your brace, avoid becoming a felon overnight, and there is no charge?

Or did I misunderstand?

That's what was stated in the video by Armed Scholar, but I guess we'll have to read all 293 pages of 'factoring criteria' to be sure.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
So if you have something like this DB15 pistol that uses the smooth pistol sized buffer tube you are GTG?

No need to do anything?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
(1) whether the weapon has a weight or length consistent with the weight or length of similarly designed rifles;
(2) whether the weapon has a length of pull, measured from the center of the trigger to the center of the shoulder stock or other rearward accessory, component or attachment (including an adjustable or telescoping attachment with the ability to lock into various positions along a buffer tube, receiver extension, or other attachment method),that is consistent with similarly designed rifles

In typical ATF form, they refuse to put any actual numbers forward to determine what may or may not apply! Roll Eyes

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
So basically every brace will be illegal unless you register it as an SBR. Free/amnesty or not they force damn near everyone onto a list and get their wet dream with millions on the new AR's on a registry. Considering what the left is doing in Illinois, Washington, Delaware and every other state i'm going to ignore this and take my chances with the lawsuits...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Will. Not. Comply.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
So if you have something like this DB15 pistol that uses the smooth pistol sized buffer tube you are GTG?

No need to do anything?

The original AR pistol was like that, or just the bare tube. No issues. Until the stabilizing brace came along, and all sorts flip-flop FATF rulings with it.

Did I mention FATF?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Nice they waited for late Friday to drop this ruling. They know they suck.

Obviously we can never be %100 certain when a government entity is involved but, once the Friday over Christmas/ New Years prediction was missed (due to the lawsuit) the smart money was bet on today being the day the BATFE planned the rule drop because it was the Friday before a 3 day federal holiday (MLK day falling this coming Monday.)

I've been watching for the rules drop today. Now the fun part begins... reading it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Okay, say I create a device I wear on my shoulder that I can slip the buffer tube into and out of while shooting…..

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Free?

Wasn’t that the deal? A one time window to register your brace, avoid becoming a felon overnight, and there is no charge?

Or did I misunderstand?

The ATF will forebear the $200 Tax:
quote:
Individuals and FFLs that are not Class 1 (Importer) and Class 2 (Manufacturer) SOT holders in possession of firearms equipped with a “stabilizing brace” that are subject to the provisions of the NFA as of the date this rule is published will not be subject to the $200 making tax so long as they timely submit an E-Form 1 by [INSERT DATE 120 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER].

Sooo, FREE Tax Stamp!

Live Free or Die!

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Okay, say I create a device I wear on my shoulder that I can slip the buffer tube into and out of while shooting…..

That’s a good idea- a rotating half sphere cup shape. Or even build up a shoulder pad on an external body armor.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So is the ATF trying to find out how many of them are out there and register them? That’s what it smells like to me. If there’s no serial number and they don’t have any way of knowing, why would anyone voluntarily comply with this BS?

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

No need to do anything?

The original AR pistol was like that, or just the bare tube. No issues. Until the stabilizing brace came along, and all sorts flip-flop FATF rulings with it.

Did I mention FATF?

Don’t worry, they’ll be after those evil assault-rifle-powered-death pistols next. All part of the agenda.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So is the ATF trying to find out how many of them are out there and register them? That’s what it smells like to me. If there’s no serial number and they don’t have any way of knowing, why would anyone voluntarily comply with this BS?
Sales records, if they're kept.In fact, there was a link to a story posted of a brace manufacturer's website hacked a day or two ago here.

Posts: 5755 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free and you don't have to mark it. That's the plus that I can see. I've been hesitating on some very unique firearms from SBRing them and this seems to fix that. I know its not much, but its what I can see.
BUT how exactly is the ATF is going to deal with the influx of new F1's I can't even imagine. They truly have no idea how to do eforms already.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
So if I do their free Form 1 and they approve it, does it mean that I'll be able to take the pistol brace off and put on a real stock?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:

Don’t worry, they’ll be after those evil assault-rifle-powered-death pistols next. All part of the agenda.

They’ve been coming after them for years. Inside pretty much every “assault weapons” ban bill I’ve read there is language banning pistols depending on the weight and/or that accept magazines that aren’t inserted into the grip.

Whenever the magazine part comes up online people always seem to joke about Mausers but that language is 100% directed at AR and AK style pistols.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
So if I do their free Form 1 and they approve it, does it mean that I'll be able to take the pistol brace off and put on a real stock?

One of my questions - are you registering the brace or what you have it attached to?

How do you report it? They don’t have serial numbers. Does the rule require reporting and identifying the firearm it is attached to?

What if you swap it between firearms?

If you have to identify the receiver and a brace equipped pistol is now considered an SBR, than it would stand to reason you could swap out for an actual stock on your now “tax free” SBR.

Say I have two pistols with braces and a third lower that isn’t finished. Could I say it has a brace and get a third free stamp, and then after replacing one brace for a stock move my previously used brace to the new build?

In true .gov fashion, I think it raises more questions than it answers.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
At first blush, reading what Grumpy posted, this sure as hell looks like standard DI AR pistols would be subject to this since they require a receiver extension.

Subsection 6 oughta make IrishWind moist.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yup you can put anything you want on it. They want notice if you change the length (I don't actually think they have the statutory authority for that, but who cares).
From the ATF FAQ.
Most of the other questions above then follow that and are easy to answer. You are Form 1'ing the receiver with a serial number. The brace matters not. There is zero mention in the ATF rule about evidence of actual being in a braced configuration at the time of the F1 submission. So I think its anything goes. But we have not seen the actual changes to Eform1 to make this work so they may (as they do now) ask for you to attach a picture.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Free?

Or did I misunderstand?

I honestly have no idea.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post