SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The PSA AR-15 16" Freedom uppers are reasonable enough right now.

Skip to about 1:25:00 to watch the models (some) affected.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
Boz, Yep. I agree. As JLJones once said unless you are sitting on a pallet of cocaine you will be fine. ATF ain't coming to your home. They ain't coming for 922(r) either. I have tried my whole life to follow the rules but when the rules constantly change I don't really care to comply. I shouldn't need to get a law degree and spend hours every day to make sure I haven't run a foul of the three letter guys and the rules they make up on items I purchased legally with their damn blessing years before.

Free men don't ask permission. My Braces will stay where they are.

I'm not saying you're wrong but what with the current climate at ATF-Mafia Central they won't at some point come for you?
Certainly, there have been several incidents where ATF intimidation has been documented.
IMO, given the chance and the agenda of the Commie-Dem regime they will do everything they can to Eff with us.
I hope I am wrong and we right the ship.

I have thought long and hard about that. If the government and the ATF comes so be it. I am done worrying about that.

If/when they come it will be for all guns and at that point tweeting I will not comply just ain't gonna do it. When they are here i guess they can collect my bump stock and my rare breed trigger too.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobtheelf:
If someone was theoretically planning on registering an sbr through normal methods anyway, would it make sense to take advantage of the free and easier registration?

I'm one who is/was going to do some Form 1's by the normal means. If I'm reading all this discussion correctly, then what I'm going to do is put my Bren 2 in the property of my trust tomorrow or Monday, however that works.

Posts: 17124 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^You can do that now/today. Assuming you have control of the Property Schedule doc for your Trust (and you are the Settlor or Grantor/Trustee), all you need to do is add the Firearm to the Schedule and BOOM, it's Trust Property! Does your Trust (or State) define and/or require anything otherwise to do so?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
So the point of SBR's being on the NFA was because only gangsters used them back in the prohibition era, correct?

Can this ruling now the the battlefront that removes SBR's from the NFA since SBR's appeal to smaller shooters, like women and children, of which there are millions now? Brace pistols are now in common usage.

If we won the battle over bump stocks, would it stand to reason that we can win on SBR's and pistols?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
The left wants the whole tamale, not just these evil black baby rifles that, oddly enough, statistically can’t be shown to have a significant affect on criminal activity. They’ll be after the brace-less pistols in the near future because these super deadly war weapons are so compact and concealable and COULD be used to slaughter millions.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The left wants the whole tamale, not just these evil black baby rifles that, oddly enough, statistically can’t be shown to have a significant affect on criminal activity. They’ll be after the brace-less pistols in the near future because these super deadly war weapons are so compact and concealable and COULD be used to slaughter millions.

We can't forget those deadly hunting rifles that can kill from great distances. We need to keep the chillins safe.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Saw this on IG, made me laugh.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

If we won the battle over bump stocks, would it stand to reason that we can win on SBR's and pistols?

Tony.

Yes, it does stand to reason and I'm relatively certain that we can and will win on braces as well. The GOA has said they'll be filing suit and they're the ones who were mostly responsible for the bump stock win.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
So... In english for us slow folks .... My Ruger AR pistol, which is registered as a pistol, and has a brace, now must be registered as an SBR or turned in?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:

Can this ruling now the the battlefront that removes SBR's from the NFA since SBR's appeal to smaller shooters, like women and children, of which there are millions now? Brace pistols are now in common usage.

As are SBR’s by military and police and how many thousands already on a stamp? Seems there is another argument for just dumping the whole tax stamp/registry scheme all together

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
So... In english for us slow folks .... My Ruger AR pistol, which is registered as a pistol, and has a brace, now must be registered as an SBR or turned in?

Or:
Remove the brace
Destroy it

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Yup.
Put a 16” barrel on it, or
Take off the brace, or
Register it as an SBR

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I know we're probably sick of the videos by now but I thought Ian does a good job of providing a little background history on barrel length etc.

Posts: 3519 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m no lawyer but what is the real-world legal risk?

The ATF is just a bureaucratic LE agency. On the one hand, they do not make law. The laws passed by Congress are what they are and say what they say.

On the other hand, the ATF can’t prosecute anyone either, can’t even make that decision.

So…they can write bureaucratic letters and make bureaucratic “rulings” about their internal interpretations of the law, so what?

How would a prosecution play out in front of a judge and jury when the ATF has it’s own rulings on this issue all over the map from it’s completely legal (letters to manufacturers), to maybe not, to yes again but don’t shoulder it to now no again…

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve read the whole thread, and I know this has been addressed, but thought I saw both answers.
Under the rule, does the braced pistol registered as a SBR under the amnesty provision still need to be engraved?
Thanks.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ No

From the FAQ doc by the ATF:

ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED, AM I REQUIRED TO MARK THE FIREARM SINCE I MANUFACTURED A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR)?
• If the SBR equipped with a “stabilizing brace” is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker’s marking exception is only applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the firearm is a personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 & 479.102 prior to submitting the E-Form 1.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-...orrectedpdf/download

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The requirement to collect the $200 tax is the law. It would take an act of congress to change the amount which why it hasn’t changed. Would not collecting the tax be against the law? Can the ATF arbitrarily decide not to follow the law?

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^ No

From the FAQ doc by the ATF:

ONCE THE FIREARM IS REGISTERED, AM I REQUIRED TO MARK THE FIREARM SINCE I MANUFACTURED A SHORT-BARRELED RIFLE (SBR)?
• If the SBR equipped with a “stabilizing brace” is registered within the 120-day tax forbearance period, the possessor is allowed to adopt the markings on the firearm. The maker’s marking exception is only applicable to firearms that are registered pursuant to the final rule. If the firearm is a personally made firearm, the possessor must mark in accordance with 27 CFR 478.92 & 479.102 prior to submitting the E-Form 1.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-...orrectedpdf/download

Thank you.

Posts: 826 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
The requirement to collect the $200 tax is the law. It would take an act of congress to change the amount which why it hasn’t changed. Would not collecting the tax be against the law? Can the ATF arbitrarily decide not to follow the law?

I don’t see why the ATF couldn’t arbitrarily decide not to follow the law.
The rest of the Biden administration has followed that course.