SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 40
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^I edited my previous post while you were typing. I will be away from my PC for about one hour. If I can be of help, I will.

Also, there are many here with a Trust from HeavyD, so hopefully someone knowledgeable can provide some direction. Maybe a new Thread requesting such guidance would be appropriate. Wink

Yea - I messaged him as well. I got a feeling his inbox probably got smashed with questions.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8920 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Yeah, it sounds like a bad idea.

My thinking also.

VERY bad idea. I'd like to act like I'm surprised at how many people are going to voluntarily register their guns and invite the ATF to come inspect them and how they're stored at ANY time they want...but I'm not. Gun owners inherently want to do "the right thing". We're the good guys.

Whenever the government offers you something for free, they have an agenda in mind. I would plead with fellow forum members to consider this VERY carefully. The more of you who bend to this tyranny, the more costly its going to be when we have to finally go to blows to stop this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13983 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
And there is debate whether they can legally waive the making tax (let alone redefine "rifle") Well, since nothing was made or even transferred I guess that makes sense Red Face. This is starting to feel like a scene from the movie Brazil. Also, I read there's only 8 people who approve the form 1s, do the math. According to the NFA, these braced pistols have been SBRs the whole time.

Posts: 3586 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
It's ONLY a good idea if you have Braced Pistols you planned to SBR anyway, and then it's actually not a bad idea at all. If you already have NFA items, there's really NO downside because you're already in the NFA Registry anyway.

That's where I am. I have only one "pistol" and numerous items already in the registry, so not like they don't already know there are other SBRs. This "pistol" was already going to get SBRed anyway, just low on my list of priorities.

Saving $200 and not having to schlep the gun up the road to my engraving guy is a bonus.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Yeah, it sounds like a bad idea.

My thinking also.

VERY bad idea. I'd like to act like I'm surprised at how many people are going to voluntarily register their guns and invite the ATF to come inspect them and how they're stored at ANY time they want...but I'm not. Gun owners inherently want to do "the right thing". We're the good guys.

Whenever the government offers you something for free, they have an agenda in mind. I would plead with fellow forum members to consider this VERY carefully. The more of you who bend to this tyranny, the more costly its going to be when we have to finally go to blows to stop this.

Do you have ANY NFA Firearms? I ask cause that's NOT how it works!

And for the most part, anyone here that's discussing 'voluntarily registering their guns', was considering SBRing those Pistols anyway, so in the end it's a $200 savings and you're NOT required to engrave the Firearm as the 'Maker'. I have two B&T Pistols that I'd prefer NOT to engrave w/ the Name of my Trust & City, State and have been holding off SBRing them pending what we all knew was likely coming. There is NO downside if that what you were gonna do anyway! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
How exciting we're going to get registry free SBRs MAYBE SBS's too.

Posts: 8177 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As it has been raised (once again), I’ll ask for clarification (once again):

Do ATF agents have legal authority to show up at one’s residence—announced or unannounced—and ask to see any NFA registered items? (I have seen some references to Fourth Amendment protections as having a bearing on the question, but there are sometimes administrative exceptions that allow government agents access to private property without its being a 4A issue.)

If they do, may they demand to see how they are stored in the residence (or elsewhere)?

If they may do that, are there Federal storage requirements that must be met for NFA items?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47644 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, off to the notary. Thanks, nhracecraft! Smile

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
How exciting we're going to get registry free SBRs MAYBE SBS's too.

Yeah, I wondered about that.

Posts: 17571 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have ANY NFA Firearms?

Yes.

I'm far from an expert and not claiming to be one.
I sent Heavy D money, and he sent me forms.

In the years since, the ATF has changed the rules multiples of times, and my latest purchase a few months back is still sitting in limbo as my trust apparently doesn't meet the new rules.

I'm sick and tired of employees changing rules.

You go ahead and keep registering more guns. See how that goes for you. My line has been crossed. I'm done. Do what you want.

"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13983 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You missed the point of his question/statement, which was specifically aimed at your erroneous claim that NFA registration allows the ATF to show up and inspect your firearm(s) and storage at any time.

That is not accurate. NFA registration does not waive your 4th amendment protection or allow the ATF or other to perform warrantless searches/inspections of NFA items.

The ATF is only allowed to do warrantless compliance inspections on FFL holders. And that's only allowed once per year.

Besides, you're badmouthing people who you claim are supposedly so willing to sign away all of those rights, but then admit that you yourself already have NFA registered firearms... So since you believed that you were signing all those 4th amendment rights away in the first place and yet still went forward with your own NFA firearm registration(s), wouldn't that put you right in the middle of the very same group that you're (incorrectly) attempting to disparage?

That's a real headscratcher.

The good news is that you're wrong. So you can feel better that neither yourself nor any other NFA registrant (or person considering NFA registration) has willingly signed away any of their 4th amendment rights to the ATF.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'd sooner email my SS# and bank account info to a Nigerian prince than trust the process being laid out here, guys.

Can anyone blame me for sensing a trap, even though I don't understand the process fully?

I just have a bad feeling about this. If a thing looks too good to be true...

Posts: 108937 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I was, and I'll stop following this post, imploring people to use their heads and not fall for this trap. I'm not the only one.

I don't believe I've badmouthed anyone, I think Heavy D is great. I appreciate him. If my post came across as badmouthing him, it was not my intention. I'm not going into details about my NFA items on hand.

For any asshats, I've not knowingly broken any laws, nor have I intended to yet.

www.rikrlandvs.com

Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I can't make sense of any of this horseshit. As such I'm going to ignore all of it and just carry on.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30862 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you who have shared info here. I don't feel quite so dumb as it seems even many guys who have trusts don't completely understand the rules. Mainly because they are always changing. As I previously stated given my personal circumstances and the fact I want to add a silencer to my roster seems to me I should just go ahead and sbr it and have HeavyD set me up a trust. I don't mind paying the $200 to give my wife the piece of mind that she's covered if something happens to me. I agree that it would be nice if someone could do a Gun Trust 101 thread or sticky. Thanks again

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
This is especially a huge mess for those that live in states that don't allow SBRs like Illinois. I bet that most that own them in those states don't even know that their state bans SBRs with severe penalties if caught with one. What would happen if they tried to register it during the 120 period? Would the state field in the form tell them that they can't register it or would they be "visited" by local authorities?

On top of that as an example Illinois is requiring registering of one's banned "assault weapons" by the end of the year. What will they do if they try and register a banned weapon that they don't even know is now an SBR with the Illnois State Police? Most likely nothing good.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd sooner email my SS# and bank account info to a Nigerian prince than trust the process being laid out here, guys.

Can anyone blame me for sensing a trap, even though I don't understand the process fully?

100% Agree
Nothing is Free

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1091 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’ve read the whole thread and the ATF pdf of the process and don’t see why some folks think marking the firearm as the maker is not required.

As far as states that don’t allow SBRs, wouldn’t that be up to state law? Thinking of marijuana being illegal federally yet legal at the state level, wouldn’t braced pistols be the same? If a state allowed braced pistols, but not SBRs, wouldn’t then the braced pistol still be such under state law?

Posts: 11543 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:
quote:

100% Agree
Nothing is Free

I’m not saying much, just that I agree with everything I just quoted.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
secure the Blessings of Liberty
Picture of rackrack
posted Hide Post
Why would I want to register my pistol as an SBR? Once I do, it's no longer a pistol, ever; I can't conceal it; I can't have it in my vehicle while loaded. I bought it to use it as a pistol, with the advantages that has.

If I didn't already have SBRs and wanted one, I'd buy a new lower and submit a Form 1 for it. Then I'd just take the upper off the pistol and put it on the new registered lower when I wanted to shoot an SBR, then swap the upper back to the pistol when done.

I just don't get it, this rush to register these pistols. Just to save $200?

Posts: 1463 | Location: NC | Registered: February 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
over the entire history of the ATF, they have shown their true stripes as having the utmost contempt for the American citizens, and they loathe the Constitution

they haven't changed

there is an ulterior motive to what they are doing, entirely consistent with past practices and deceit

Trump had a chance to abolish the ATF on his second day in office and he didn't - what an opportunity missed

do NOT trust anyone from ATF, EVER

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post