SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the single most expensive hobby you have?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the single most expensive hobby you have? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Don't have it now, but my daughter showed quarter horses as a child and teen. Cost of the horse (over time she had 4, last one cost more than a new car at that time) was just the start. Boarding was $500 a month if you did all the feeding, plus feed, vet supplies, shoeing/farrier, trainer fees, trailer cost, showing outfits, tack, show fees, gas/diesel, hotels and meals... Yeah, that was a huge money pit.

My standard joke was that God invented horses to make boats look like a good investment.

My sister used to show horses too and I saw how much time and money was involved for my parents, who had neither time nor money to spare. She used to work for slave wages on the farm she went to in exchange for free lessons or something.

This past Christmas she bought one of my daughter's a gift certificate for riding lessons, and I promptly threw it in the trash. No way in hell I was allowing that to happen. I told my wife I am a reasonable person and my kids are involved in plenty of activities, but I am putting my foot down on this one. No way!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Women (as a life long bachelor, I’ve accepted that I may not be able to form relationships.)

Far distant second

Sailboat racing (don’t have this one anymore.)

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
Motorcycles

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
During my younger days women

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care a hoot what your women habit is. But it will never, ever approach the costs of racing sailboats, cars, motorcycles or owning horses.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
Currently, it is my Corvette. My dad gave me an '04 that he didn't exactly take the best care of. Gladly, I know how to work on them, so that has eased the sting a bit cost-wise for parts to fix it.

Second, guns...

Third, and all-time most expensive would definitely be scuba diving. All of the equipment / training I needed (or wanted) for cavern/cave and wreck diving definitely takes the cake...

Posts: 2042 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
Motorcycles

Yup.

Had several hand built Italian motorcycles for a while, mid to end of nineties...

Rode them a lot.

Bimota.

nuff said.

please don't make me mention Lotus sports cars...

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Mine: motorcycles. Between the cost of the bike itself, bike accessories, insurance, gas, maintenance, gear (jackets, helmet, gloves, etc.), it adds up.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Traveling. Started in 2017: Peru, Ecuador, Galapagos Islands. 2018: Iceland, Norway, Estonia, Finland. 2019: Japan, Korea. 2020: Cuba and Transylvania. 2021: Antarctic Expedition.

Keystone are you planning on flying or boating into Cuba , I am also contemplating a trip for my 50th bday

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I don't care a hoot what your women habit is. But it will never, ever approach the costs of racing sailboats, cars, motorcycles or owning horses.

This reminds me of what a friend told me maybe 10 years back. He said “the most expensive 4 things a man can have are; a wife, airplane, horses, and a boat. Five years ago I had all four, as of last year I don’t have any of them.”

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7122 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Traveling. Started in 2017: Peru, Ecuador, Galapagos Islands. 2018: Iceland, Norway, Estonia, Finland. 2019: Japan, Korea. 2020: Cuba and Transylvania. 2021: Antarctic Expedition.

Keystone are you planning on flying or boating into Cuba , I am also contemplating a trip for my 50th bday

AS far as I know, there aren't any U.S. cruises going there now. My friend an American, bought a boutique hotel there and a house in the past year. His wife came from Cuba about 2 years ago and she has a US Visa, she's a singer/songwriter...….anyways. He flies there often and you fly through either Bahamas or Mexico, then to Cuba.

You could take a private boat there as well, but should go to the Bahamas, then here when coming back. I might be stopping there (via private yacht) in a couple of weeks, enroute to Mexico.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
vehicles and fishing boats.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Racing my Neon.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
Guns and motorcycles, mostly Harleys. Know how most bikers have tattoos? I have none. No nice clothes, just old tee shirts, jeans and one good pair of boots. All my money goes to support the guns and motorcycles. Has for years.

Now that I think about it, eating is my hobby. The guns and motorcycles are actually life.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Definitely my guns and all the costs related.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5055 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
Not in any particular order, motorcycles, hot rodding, shooting, and I have since joined a Jeep club. My S-I-L is an enabler, he gave me a back bumper that he won at an event and is dealing on a front bumper. Only mods to date have beeh lighting, tires and a radio upgrade but I fear things will get worse as time goes by.

We are tossing back and forth the plan of a getaway cottage, nothing spectacular, just a weekend retreat up north.

UPDATE: Went four wheeling with my Jeep club last weekend. Reminded me of my motorcycle enduro racing days 68-69. Before I went we replaced my front bumper. Club requires a CB for trail communications, that should show up in UPS today. Thinking about a gear change, (I was gifted a set of 3.73's) a leveling kit and next tire change going up a size or so. So down the slippery slope I go.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8139 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Golf.

Yep, same.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5915 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post