SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the single most expensive hobby you have?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the single most expensive hobby you have? Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Classic German car collecting. So far I don't have any cars - but I'm researching a lot until I get richer.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2277 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Over time it's been firearms. Far and away. But at any particular point in time it's The Hobby Of The Week

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I still enjoy shooting but have cut back on that as of late. Some health related some just because I've done it so long. As for current, I've spend a good deal of money modifying my Tacoma. I know it's money I'll never recoup when I sell or trade the truck, but I just can't help myself. I've done mods that I'll never use, so I guess I've made a mall-crawler LOL. But that's okay. It's satisfying to me and if I don't have some project at least in the planning stage I feel lost.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have the most money tied up in my hunting gear, which includes all but 2 or 3 guns. But I don't really spend a ton on it in an ongoing manner. I hunt private family/friend's land and I only buy a new gun when I want one, which isn't too often anymore.

Once I'm not spending $3000 a month for daycare for my two kids I'll probably redirect a little more to guns or hunting trips.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10515 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Racing motorcycles. I used to race cars and that was even worse. But motorcycles eat tires and parts...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11049 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Classic German car collecting. So far I don't have any cars - but I'm researching a lot until I get richer.

Classic roadsters from the 50-60s or sports sedans /coupes from the 80s and 90s?

P229

Posts: 3875 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Got my big girl
breeches on!
Picture of coffeeaddict
posted Hide Post
Horses. What do they cost you ask?

Everything!

http://dressageonthequarter.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1926 | Location: TN | Registered: December 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother and i raced sprint cars for 15 years. If i had half of the money back that blew up or ended upside down or in the fence i would be a rich man.
We sold the sprint cars and got the kids quarter midgets. Had 10x the fun with the kids. The kids moved up to mini sprints 250,600,1200s.
The wife and i just bought a class a motorhome We are loving it i think this may be my next hobby!

Posts: 24 | Location: FT Smith | Registered: January 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Older S&W revolvers.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5074 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
It's varied over the years from registered trap, scuba diving and sailing.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3814 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Motorhome Abel and upkeep and Cuban cigars. Life is good.

Posts: 12943 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
Right now it's ice fishing. Of course my location requires you to have a active sport in the long winter months or go crazy. I upgraded some equipment this year. A sonar gps combo $800, a couple new custom rods $130 ea, ice reels $30 to $50ea. Bought a battery powered ice auger a few years ago around $500. All the miscellaneous stuff like endless amount of lures and you need them all of course in every color and size available.

Then there is the fish house. Lots of guys spend $30 grand and even more than that on a fish house to spend the weekend or longer in out on the ice. Because I'm retired I fish by myself quite often so I didn't need anything too lavish or lots of room so I purchased a well built home brew job from a guy for about 5 grand. Then there's all the things you need to outfit the house. Tv, dvd player,on and on and on.
So you catch a few fish and the cost per pound of that fish is almost incalculable.

But then there's this.

Quiet solitude. Priceless. Sunset a couple miles offshore. I was out 4 days by myself. Sometimes not enough cell phone signal for incoming or outgoing text messages. Fine with me.

Game warden stopped by once to check license and make sure I was within bag limits. I go out during the week when it's only old retired guys like myself out there and leave on Friday before the lake gets invaded like D Day. I'll drive in once or twice and go to the resort bar for a drink and conversation if the fishing is slow sometimes not even that.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8554 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a toss-up between guns and golf for me.

Dum Spiro Pugno

Posts: 174 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for all of the responses.
I have read everyone of them and find it fascinating at what we all do for fun or as a hobby.
Keep them coming and Happy New years.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2593 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cars. Definitely cars. Firearms are in second place and trying desperately to move into first.

Posts: 423 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Motor vehicle related hobbies - cars and tractors primarily are probably my number one expense outside of our mortgage. However, there is a legitimate need for reliable vehicles and equipment to take care of my property so not all of those expenses could be considered hobby expenses. Firearms and related accoutrements and scuba diving are definitely the next biggest expenditures in absolute terms. So I’d say it’s hard to calculate exactly which “hobby” is the most expensive, especially when amounts spent vary so much from year to year, but I can definitely say that guns, scuba, and things with engines are at the top.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5592 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Currently, Firearms. No contest.

However as we are now empty nesters traveling around the country might surpass that......

The rest of my hobbies are relatively inexpensive (hunting, fishing, hiking, firewood, etc.)

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8565 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
It used to be audiophile sound equipment; turntables, amplification, speakers, etc. I still have a system all setup, and a collection of loudspeakers stored in my storage unit. Last time I spent money on it was several years ago, a Sumiko cartridge. But firearms is the most expensive hobby for the last 10-2 years. Other hobbies that soak money (not as bad as guns) include collecting wine/single malt scotch and cigars.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16803 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several, but over the years, scuba diving has to take top spot. Boat, gas, several trips to Cozumel to dive and many other places.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Horses.

A dozen lovely draft horses. Some folks say that a dog is man's best friend, but I am not one of those folks.

I bought the oldest (25 years old) and the youngest (1 year old), and raised the rest. But then there is the maintenance cost....

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post