SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the single most expensive hobby you have?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the single most expensive hobby you have? Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Golf. I play a lot.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is time and money as an expense, then Amateur Radio is it. HO scale model railroading is nearly equal.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1688 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Pickleball! The equipment is not that expensive but I don't dare try to look at how much I spend on travel to tournaments (e.g., a month in FL right now and two weeks in England & Scotland next summer). Plan on 6-10 a year and it gets up there. On the other hand, being competitively active at 73 does have it's rewards.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1976 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
For a number of years it was golf. Starting five years ago, I've been fulfilling a childhood fantasy of becoming a drummer. I began taking a one hour lesson a week. I just recently purchased my second, 7-piece drum kit. That has now overtaken golf as my most expensive hobby.

Side note - It was pure luck that the music store I went into had a drum teacher and it is Ron Hurst (drummer Steppenwolf). In the last five years he's become a great friend too.

Posts: 535 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:
Horses.

A dozen lovely draft horses. Some folks say that a dog is man's best friend, but I am not one of those folks.

I bought the oldest (25 years old) and the youngest (1 year old), and raised the rest. But then there is the maintenance cost....

And the time involved shoveling shit. I dated a gal some years ago who owned a horse. I was OK with that. I owned a motorcycle - she disliked motorcycles.

I always liked to remind her: a motorcycle will never bite you or step on your foot...and you don't have to shovel shit.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Interesting, not one hooker and blow response.

Posts: 3473 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I would say guns and ammo.

We live well within our means and getting ready to retire in a year.

It just may be raising Kids. Love it. We have offered our youngest $25K for her schooling. I surely do not have anything like that in my firearm Collection.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
My most expensive/longest hobby. Others have come and gone, this one has been around the longest and just never went away. Interestingly, I did not want red, and did not want a GT. But its always been a good car.

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clem, what year is your car and what color interior did it come with? I had a red GT just like that (minus the cowl hood). It was running 11.80's on NOS when I sold it around 1995 in FL and it went to Colorado back then.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Clem Eastwood
posted Hide Post
its a 93, with opal grey leather..or it did. I took the original seats out. I need to put the new carpet in it and mount the seats I am going to use. the stock seat frames are so notorious for bending i didnt want to tear them up. The car has been in the family since new. I got my hands on it in 1997.

I had to put the hood on it so the windsor would fit in it. It had a turbo technology kit on it for a few years, back in the late 90s/early 2000s. Then it sat, but the current build is just a carbureted small block ford that i put together.

fits pretty good though

Posts: 2068 | Location: North Texas | Registered: January 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THE SIGGUY
Picture of SIGGUY (THE 1ST)
posted Hide Post
Mine is SIG pistols, for sure my most expensive hobby. Anything else is miniscule in comparison.

-------------------------------------------------------2/28/2015 ~ Rest in peace Dad. Lt Commander E.G.E. USN Love you.

Posts: 5303 | Location: Great State of NH | Registered: January 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good memories seeing that Mustang GT - I had a 1990 ( ? ) I think, matching red with grey interior. Only negative was it was an automatic and I was looking for the 5 speed.

Most expensive hobby ? Probably boats, cars, and motorcyles - I'd hate to know what I've spent on each Smile

MDS

Posts: 382 | Registered: November 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Well seeing as how I can't buy any more guns, iive-steam model trains.

Posts: 11340 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Guns,gun accessories & cigars.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7660 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
Farming. Granted we live on the farm but it’s ridiculous the work (which I don’t count my time as it’s my gym and stress reliever) and equipment (tractors, implements, trucks, excavator, trailers, feed, fencing etc) I “need” in order to maintain this place and make some small improvements here and there. However it does offer some tax benefit and the experiences I get to share with my son who will soon be 3 makes up for it plus he will likely inherit this place someday and it will hopefully provide him a home or a good chunk of change to get him started in life.
Clearly my son is not a hobby but my wife considers his toys as such and she seems to have created a large collection for him. She also has a makeup addiction which I didn’t know existed but apparently they’re putting a combination of gold dust and cocaine in that stuff these days and before someone asks she’s not a hooker or stripper. I do indulge in a firearm purchase from time to time. One of the few things that doesn’t eat on the farm and typically holds its value.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1895 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boating by a bit over guitars. I have a roughly equal amount of money in my Ranger Fish and Ski and my guitar collection. Boating may actually be more expensive as maintenance and gas for a boat are way more than strings and tubes for guitar playing.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
Guns, ammo and training. I'm still not where I would like to be after four decades. My "needs" keep changing!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2043 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have had many hobbies come and go over my life but the only one that has been with me since I was old enough to pick up a stick and say "bang" has been firearms.
Hunting, collecting, tactical/self defense, mil surp, and just about any other category.
I've spent more to date on that one interest than any of the rest combined.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Children... lol.
word, my friend.

Guns and motorcycles for official answer. But kids are WAAAAY more expensive.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Don't have it now, but my daughter showed quarter horses as a child and teen. Cost of the horse (over time she had 4, last one cost more than a new car at that time) was just the start. Boarding was $500 a month if you did all the feeding, plus feed, vet supplies, shoeing/farrier, trainer fees, trailer cost, showing outfits, tack, show fees, gas/diesel, hotels and meals... Yeah, that was a huge money pit.

My standard joke was that God invented horses to make boats look like a good investment.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post