SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's hard being Paul Pelosi this year.
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's hard being Paul Pelosi this year. Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
...and his expression when the police opened the door is unreadable to me. Fear?
The human smile is a holdover from our primate ancestors. Do a bit of research on what this baring of the teeth means.

The human smile has evolved over the eons. It doesn't always mean someone is happy.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by sig239dlehr:
Why didn’t Pelosi let go of the hammer and run straight to the police officers crying “HELP ME!” As soon as the door was opened?

Because .... There are any number of possible explanations.

Of course.
Anyone who has dealt with people in high stress situations or knows from other experiences what people do and don’t do under pressure wouldn’t—or shouldn’t—be the least surprised by a reaction like that.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda is easy when sitting at the computer in the secure comfort of our own home. Someone who had been under the threat of a deadly attack for several (30?) minutes and doing what they thought was best to keep it from escalating to that may not be able to switch mental gears immediately from “accommodate and survive” to “flee!”

When I was a high school student we were taught that there were two basic animal responses to threats: fight or flight. Later, however, it was realized there was a third, which is actually very common: freeze. And freeze isn’t limited to deer fawns and baby rabbits. In fact, I suspect that in some form or another (not necessarily lack of all movement), it’s as common among people as the first two, if not more so.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Its a legit break in by a disturbed individual. Pelosi has had alcohol issues in the past and he may have been drinking prior to the break in. Which would explain the highball glass and his reactions during the event.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

I think the glass Paul had was possibly the only weapon available.

Posts: 1564 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

It you are willing to take some hurt, a glass smashed against an assailant's head can be pretty effective.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:

It you are willing to take some hurt, a glass smashed against an assailant's head can be pretty effective.

IMO, he would’ve been much better off putting both hands on the hammer.

Or dart towards cops.

MMQB is easier

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Pelosi didn't want to let go of the hammer. You can see what happened the instant he no longer had a hand on that hammer. If he had run towards the officers, he might have gotten struck in the back of the head. He's an old guy, and most old guys are not fast.

I agree. If he's got enough tension on the thing to keep dude from raising, the play is probably to hold that tension. You get a lot more strength holding the hammer down than the bad guy gets to try to raise it.

Moreover, you see exactly what happens and how fast when the bad guy gets control of the hammer again. I am pretty comfortable with violence and I was pretty startled the first time watching how quick the bad guy gets the hammer up and strikes with it.

There are some lessons here in just how dangerous something can get so fast. Most here don't need to learn those lessons, but there are definitely people out there that do.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
That escalated quickly.

Pelosi was knocked the fuck out. Look how limp his legs are.

Those two cops were taken totally by surprise.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
I agree the video shows that there was nothing weird going on, except that Depape is a nut case.

The door seems odd. did the police knock or call out ?

There is a click and the door swings open like it is being powered somehow.

I am wondering if the door is a special security door.

Posts: 19583 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I don't believe anything about the phoniest cabal of people in the history of man. They drug their feet releasing this that perfectly shows their narrative? I'd sooner believe they filmed it last week. Conveniently he's struck off camera and no blood in sight.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
I don't believe anything about the phoniest cabal of people in the history of man. They drug their feet releasing this that perfectly shows their narrative? I'd sooner believe they filmed it last week. Conveniently he's struck off camera and no blood in sight.

For chrissakes, man. It's clear as day what happened. Stop overthinking it. Everything is right there.

It's obvious now that it was actually the police who didn't want any of this video or 911 call released because they look like absolute idiots. If anyone was dragging his feet, it was the police. The 911 dispatcher for instance just sounds like a moron who couldn't grasp that Paul Pelosi was secretly trying to call for help. I actually don't even think this dispatcher had any clue who Nancy Pelosi is. The police were as usual trying to cover their asses.

I don't blame the Pelosis for not wanting all this out there. I wouldn't want a video of my father for instance in his underwear getting knocked in the head with a hammer by a nut out there for everyone to watch over and over again.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
So.....Pauls attacker called a LA news station KTVU on Friday, which they recorded. Here's part of it:

https://www.foxnews.com/politi...-didnt-get-more-them
"I want to apologize to everyone. I messed up. What I did was really bad. I'm so sorry I didn't get more of them. It's my own fault. No one else is to blame. I should have come better prepared," he said.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbslinger:
You can't be serious. Do you realize how silly this sounds, and how much of a paranoid whacko you sound like?

You're saying they made up a story, then they created a film to match that story. You're saying that the video we see is all false and that everyone in it- the police, Pelosi, and the guy facing up to 50 years in prison- all are playing scripted parts, and you base this on the fact that the hammer blow was off-camera.

The doctors and nurses who tended to Pelosi's fake injuries- they're in on it, too, and they went along with it while Pelosi was in the hospital for weeks. The hospital staff all risked their livelihood to be a part of this. Doctors who went to school for years and years to become MDs risked throwing their lives away for the sake of this little play.

The Capitol Police produced false surveillance footage. The 911 call was staged, and that's really interesting, since it's a time-stamped call.

And that's touching on just a few of the elements which would be necessary to create such an elaborate hoax. The lawyers for this loon DePape- they didn't fight to keep this audio/video from being released because it shows their client is guilty as charged. No, they fought to keep it from being released in order to give the producers of this hoax time to finish their little movie.

__

Is your judgement really this bad? Do you have any idea how ridiculous what you're saying is? Any idea at all how much of a whacko you're making yourself out to be?

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^ ...

Despite saying he didn't want to jeopardize his case, DePape told KTVU he attacked Pelosi because "liberty isn't dying, it's being killed systematically and deliberately."

The "people killing it have names and addresses, so I got their names and addresses so I could pay them a little visit … have a heart to heart chat about their bad behavior," he asserted.

DePape also made a chilling apology for not going further.

"I want to apologize to everyone. I messed up. What I did was really bad. I'm so sorry I didn't get more of them. It's my own fault. No one else is to blame. I should have come better prepared," he said.

DePape called KTVU after the San Francisco Superior Court released audio and video footage of the Paul Pelosi attack to the media.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The only thing I don’t get at this point is why was this footage blocked for so long?

In general law enforcement agencies are VERY reticent to release video footage... It typically only happens when they are required to or when they have made a directed decision that the release benefits them (usually in an attempt to control public opinion, to paint with a broad brush).

I've been involved in conversations regarding releasing video and in our case, we also consider the feelings of the victim and the family, to varying degrees, based upon the details of the situation. Violence is ugly, sometimes incredibly so. Privacy DOES matter.

Also, the video doesn't exactly make the cops look good, though honestly it also doesn't really make the locals look bad. Not in my opinion. I find their response 100% genuine and believable, not that anyone was questioning that.

When I watched it, I read it as Pelosi trying desperately to not do anything to trigger an escalation and hoping the cops would be able to catch up quickly and do cop things. Unfortunately, it seems to have just gone down too fast and they weren't ready for what they encountered.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I'm finding it hard not to be critical of the 911 operator. I'm trying to leave room for my ignorance as to what they deal with on a daily basis. I'm the one with the benefit of hindsight. I'm moved by cases where the operator caught on to callers who disguise their call for help, by pretending to order pizza for example. Pelosi must have felt hopeless with her clueless nonchalant responses.

What I found quite peculiar was DePape seemingly right next to Pelosi during the call. Why would he allow Pelosi to make the call?

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have watched the video repeatedly and I cannot figure out who opened the door. Am I missing something?

Pelosi is holding a drink in his left hand and the other is holding the hammer. Depape has the hammer in his right hand. His left appears free at first then grabs Pelosi's wrist. Pelosi was slightly in front of Depape and I dont think Depape could open the door lefty with Pelosi's arm in front of him.

Posts: 5419 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

What I found quite peculiar was DePape seemingly right next to Pelosi during the call. Why would he allow Pelosi to make the call?

If you listen, you will hear Pelosi in the beginning remark, "oh, I called you by accident." He likely told DePape that he had to call Nancy to get her to come home, or something along those lines, and of course instead dialed 911. He then desperately tries to get this idiot dispatcher to understand the situation, and she simply doesn't really grasp it until the end. He even asks for the Capitol police because Nancy is always with them or something like that, still trying to fool Depape while cluing this dumb broad in. It's like she had no idea who Nancy Pelosi was. In all honesty, I thought Paul Pelosi was pretty measured during this whole thing. I'm sure it was driving him nuts that he couldn't get this dispatcher to understand that he was in distress.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
Why would he allow Pelosi to make the call?
Because he's a loon. His little riverboat has grounded on a sandbar and the captain has fled the wheelhouse.