SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus Login/Join 
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I envy anyone who anyone who can play the guitar. I like hearing the lingo so maybe it seep in. Had to look up PRS. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Well, so much for that. Seller called me. He canceled the deal because Reverb required him to file a 1099 (or some such) and he was going to have to pay income tax on an item he was selling at break even. Can't say as I blame him.

What was it though?

Collings 470JL

Those are really nice. My brother is a Collings fanboy (in a good way). He lives only a couple of hours from the factory. He has a 290 with P-90s, and two Collings acoustics - I think an OM size, and the other is a 12 fret dread. They really do make a nice guitar.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:My brother is a Collings fanboy (in a good way). He lives only a couple of hours from the factory. He has a 290 with P-90s, and two Collings acoustics - I think an OM size, and the other is a 12 fret dread. They really do make a nice guitar.

I ordered a 470JL. It'll be ready in 2024. Guess it's time to sell some watches! Big Grin

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Eek

Big Grin

Fwiw … Ron Ellis and his pick-ups are on a whole another level. You should go read about Ron and his work. I have a set of custom Ron Ellis PUps in my brondel s-type.

Ron works for general atomics and has access to magnetic measuring equipment that only a government dod contractor could afford. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Fwiw … Ron Ellis and his pick-ups are on a whole another level. You should go read about Ron and his work. I have a set of custom Ron Ellis PUps in my brondel s-type.

Ron works for general atomics and has access to magnetic measuring equipment that only a government dod contractor could afford. Wink

Interestingly, I read where Julian runs that rig through a B1G 1 Preamp Gain Boost pedal all of the time. I love his tone, and am hoping I get close. Been checking out online classes. Time to set aside the time now. The hard part. Finding the time.

https://shin-ei.com/Shin-ei/SH...01-PREAMP-GAIN-BOOST

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: Got a new tool. A reactive load box to allow me to variably pad my amps speaker, so that I can push the tubes a little harder and get some classic distortion without blowing my ear drums out.

It also allows me to completely bypass my amp speaker and practice through headphones. When doing this, I can use an app to model various speaker cabinets, mike placement, and in that mode it provides reverb, echo/delay effects and EQ etc.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can use an app to model various speaker cabinets, mike placement, and in that mode it provides reverb, echo/delay effects and EQ etc.

Welcome to the world of modeling … err, I mean… IR’s aka Impulse Responses … deep hole warning

Mix to your mp3 source eg spotify and enjoy!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
With this, I probably could have just stacked it on top of my BOSS acoustic guitar amp and been well enough without the Fender CDR tube amp. Ah, but where's the fun in that?

Incidentally, I'm nearing the end of my first journey through this playground . The OEM mint guard is coming off, and a proper tortoise is in the works.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Next up:

TC Electronic Polytune

BOSS RC1 Looper

TrueTone 1 Spot Isolated Power Source

Basically I look at these as more of a practice tool/s. Easy tune-up and allows me to practice some solo parts over self laid rhythm. There's Sooooo much stuff available, that when I considered going further, I am darn near tempted to go back to acoustic. Confused I do have reverb an vibrato via my amp. And some other stuff in my attenuator, but those are only available to me via headphones -- which I actually use a good bit at the moment since I have no other pedals to hit the speaker cabinet and enjoy.

Anyway, if there's something top of your mind, let me know, what else am I missing that I should really get early. Not looking to do everything all at once, and there's a million gadgets in the pedal world. Fuzz is on my someday list.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Heh, that goes back to my first post. A strat and a Fender Mustang Micro. That little headphone amp has a nice Deluxe model I use on the couch with an earbud in. Perfect for when something’s being watched on TV I’m not all that interested in.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Heh, that goes back to my first post. A strat and a Fender Mustang Micro. That little headphone amp has a nice Deluxe model I use on the couch with an earbud in. Perfect for when something’s being watched on TV I’m not all that interested in.

I find the Mustang Micro works nicely with a Tele while watching the Knicks game.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Basically I look at these as more of a practice tool/s. Easy tune-up and allows me to practice some solo parts over self laid rhythm.

I have the Boss RC-3 looper and it is very handy!

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Love it!

(everyone needs good tuners… I have four different tuner types/algos inside the AxFx3)

Big Grin

~Robert A. Heinlein

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
TC Electronic Polytune

Wow, planning on getting up onstage sooner rather than later, I guess.

I ended up sending back the One-Spot Power Supply in exchange for the CIOKS Pedal Power Supply. The One-Spot just didn’t fit under my pedal board. The CIOKS is great, but it was more expensive than the other.

Posts: 13260 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
TC Electronic Polytune

Wow, planning on getting up onstage sooner rather than later, I guess.

I ended up sending back the One-Spot Power Supply in exchange for the CIOKS Pedal Power Supply. The One-Spot just didn’t fit under my pedal board. The CIOKS is great, but it was more expensive than the other.

Just don't want to keep clipping the cheap tuner to my head. I kind of like the idea of it, and it's on sale this weekend.

I actually chose the One Spot because I thought it would fit under easily. But I see the Ciok is 1" vs. 1.25" for the One Spot. I'll check them out. Not much more money, and one more output, plus all outputs are configurable for all common voltages.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have the Roadie Tuner and I like it a lot.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Am I correct in the impression that I am forming that Strymon is, if not the best, generally a very superior pedal in many/most categories?

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Am I correct in the impression that I am forming that Strymon is, if not the best, generally a very superior pedal in many/most categories?

Strymon makes very nice pedals (drive, modulation, delays, reverb etc); they know how to dial in the algorithms.

“Best” is subjective … Wink

It just depends on how many boxes you want to chain together and how much work do you want to put in to config/control?

Anyone remember Bradshaw rigs … Refrigerator-sized racks of F/x from the 80s? Don’t miss the programming or cabling.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

Strymon is high-end and almost universally well-liked. I think your statement is reasonable, with the caveat that many of their pedals are digital and don’t appeal to the analog purists.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Interesting! Are there certain brands specializing in analog? Would be ironic to run a digital pedal into a tube amp. Razz