SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Now I'm not sure if I should buy a guitar, or burn my guitar. I've never seen such a thing. Incredible.

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’m not even going to watch that. Microtonal fretboard? Nah, I’m good.

Posts: 17162 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That’s great! Guitar is a very satisfying and therapeutic hobby/addiction.

Before my watch addiction I was BIG into guitars. An American Tele and a modded Jaguar and MIJ Mustang more or less satisfied my guitar collection addiction.

My brother and his friend just started playing at bars in VA Beach and he has been bugging me to start playing again and join him for a show. The offer is tempting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21115 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I’m not even going to watch that. Microtonal fretboard? Nah, I’m good.
It's just untempered ... Err, it's just just. Safe to watch.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Andy Wood model.This particular one was AMAZING! Unfortunately the neck was just too thin. Otherwise, extremely easy to play.Fantastic Tele!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Now I'm not sure if I should buy a guitar, or burn my guitar. I've never seen such a thing. Incredible.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OVZShd7GZAY" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

When I saw the photo, I thought it was a way to adjust for the difficulties of tuning each string perfectly in relation to the others (tempering). It is more than that, and allows you to play notes outside the traditional Western system of whole and half steps. Other forms of music cannot be played on conventional Western guitars. There are, for example, no quarter tones on a Western instrument. Each section of each fret can be adjusted to create a fretboard that is entirely different from a Western guitar's fretboard. Fascinating.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking a tele needs to be added to the stable…

Knaggs
CP Thornton
Suhr

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Bought and sold numerous Strats over the years. I have NEVER found one( including 2 PRS Silver Sky’s) that I could love for one reason or another. Just bought one I have been entertaining for a while now. THIS one, after the rust and DNA was carefully removed, will stay….. period
https://imgur.com/a/Gn7EmmO

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:
Bought and sold numerous Strats over the years. I have NEVER found one( including 2 PRS Silver Sky’s) that I could love for one reason or another. Just bought one I have been entertaining for a while now. THIS one, after the rust and DNA was carefully removed, will stay….. period
https://imgur.com/a/Gn7EmmO

That's gorgeous. Please tell us about it! I finally made it to a shop in the city. I tried a Gresch Jet, a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. I found the Strat to be the most playable for me. I guess perhaps just saying, the others would take some getting used to. The Gretsch has a tall fretboard, pickups and strings. Gibson not nearly as much, but a similar feel. All of this with the caveat that I'm perhaps just a few notches above a complete novice at this point.

Anyone here ever build up their own Strat?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sybo:

That's excellent.

My Strat is a faded Olympic white with a cream pearloid pickguard and parchment controls and covers - the color inverse of yours. It's an '85 Japanese import, and it sounds amazing. I need to scratch the itch for a surf green Strat before I die. I bought a set of Lollar Dirty Blondes before I left them just for that reason.

quote:
I finally made it to a shop in the city. I tried a Gresch Jet, a Fender Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. I found the Strat to be the most playable for me. I guess perhaps just saying, the others would take some getting used to. The Gretsch has a tall fretboard, pickups and strings. Gibson not nearly as much, but a similar feel. All of this with the caveat that I'm perhaps just a few notches above a complete novice at this point.

You might also try an Ibanez, just for comparison, to see if it's a scale length and fretboard radius thing you're tuning into. Fender style stuff tends to have wider string spacing and longer scale length than Gibson, and I'm pretty sure Gretsch also. Gretsch was never my flavor, so I never really paid attention, but in general, Gibsons are going to have flatter fretboards (larger fretboard radius) and shorter scale length (the active vibrating length of the string, at 24 3/4") and Fenders are going to have more contoured fretboards (smaller fretboard radius) and longer scale length (25 1/2"). The string spacing is also wider, and many find them more comfortable to play for these reasons. They are general rules, and not hard and fast per se, though. It's not widely known that Gibson started using Fender string spacing on some Les Paul models starting some time in the 90's, and there's no rhyme or reason to which ones do have it, and which ones don't. My 2001 Les Paul Smartwood Exotic has standard Gibson string spacing, while my 2005 Les Paul Standard Double Cutaway Plus has Fender spacing. That guitar is meant to compete with PRS' models, but there are a number of more traditional Les Pauls out there with Fender spacing. I didn't learn this until some time last year, and when I checked, I was shocked that I had missed this on my own guitars. However, after 25 years of playing many, many different guitars, little things like this don't jump out at me anymore. They are likely to be a major difference to someone starting out, however.

quote:
Anyone here ever build up their own Strat?

I have built a number of them. What do you want to know? Start with this: It's a cutting board with a guitar neck attached. That should tell you how doable it is. The only things original to my Strat are the body, neck, frets, and the bridge, and those only because they were the reasons I bought that guitar.

Posts: 17162 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Gotta love a good strat (type Wink ) w/ a skunk stripe.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’ve always liked this one
https://www.adorama.com/fe0144570002.html

If I didn’t have a Strat I love already I’d be looking at that one.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I bought that same Strat, same color in 1998 for $300 and the store was in an economic enterprise zone, so 3% sales tax. $309 out the door.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This is from my gig two nights ago. I'm playing a Hentor Sportscaster clone I threw together with a mish mash of parts. It's not my favorite guitar to play, but since it's a Rush tribute band, the other guys want me playing something close to what Alex played live.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That microtonal fretboard was very cool but it seems like it would need to set up for a very specific song

Posts: 53197 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Gotta love a good strat (type Wink ) w/ a skunk stripe.

That's beautiful!

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I’ve always liked this one
https://www.adorama.com/fe0144570002.html

If I didn’t have a Strat I love already I’d be looking at that one.

I recently picked up a Squire Affinity Strat in a charity auction. It is autographed by a bunch of musicians etc, and will go to a grandchild as their first electric guitar.

Street price is $259. Made in Indonesia.

And it is a pretty impressive instrument! The fit and finish is excellent. Fretwork looks very good though I haven't played it much.

The point being that modern manufacturing produces darned good instruments at a very cheap price.

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
https://imgur.com/a/T4KDs2j
Chopped the Trem bar, I don’t play a trem much, they are just too long for me.. Cranked up the grinder and had at it. Now, THIS is what I am talking about. Guys, give it a shot, cool “ short cut” Cool

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
This is from my gig two nights ago. I'm playing a Hentor Sportscaster clone I threw together with a mish mash of parts. It's not my favorite guitar to play, but since it's a Rush tribute band, the other guys want me playing something close to what Alex played live.

Looks like fun!

Posts: 9460 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
...since it's a Rush tribute band, the other guys want me playing something close to what Alex played live.

Yeah? You should ask them if they want you to buy a TriAmp MKII head and floor controller in minty condition. I'll even drive it to Cave Creek. Big Grin