SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus
Page 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guitars: I'm going back to electric after a 30 year hiatus Login/Join 
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I prefer the DAVA picks. They are easy to hold on to. They have different colors made of different materials. The different colored picks do give a different sound on electric guitar, from dark to bright.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Since about 1978

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Whether Fender set it up or not, by the time it gets to you, it won't be. Guitars move when shipped. The wood breathes, the neck flexes, and how much really depends on the individual guitar. The one from Wildwood may have arrived "pretty close," but don't feel like you totally missed out in that regard. All our inventory at the shop was obviously shipped to us, and there weren't many, if any, that didn't at the very least need a minor truss rod tweak. Find a local tech who knows his shit. Normally I'd suggest wading in and trying it yourself, but you bought a Strat that has a heel adjust truss rod, so I wouldn't. I see he talks about that in the video you linked. He doesn't talk about making sure the neck goes back in at the exact same angle. If the neck pocket is cut nice and tight, and it should be on a new American Fender for that money, you should be good to go if you want to try it out. You just won't know if you got it right until you get it up to tension. This could take a few attempts, or many attempts with removing and installing the neck. The good news is, with those tuners, you should be able to loosen the strings to slack, pull them straight up off the tuner with the bends intact, remove the neck and adjust, then reinstall and pop the strings back in and get them tuned back up. I really like the vintage tuners for that reason, and many more.

As for picks, if you want to try something other than Dunlop, well, there's billions of choices. I like Pickboy Meta Carbons, and I have probably a couple pounds of them left from when I worked at the store. Sound and feel great, take forever to wear down. Fender's celluloid formula has changed over the years and what Butch 2340 linked above is indeed not the same stuff they were producing in 1978, mainly as I understand it for "environmentally sound" reasons. The Pickboy celluloid picks are supposedly closer to what the original stuff was, or least my old boss who owned a number of music stores said so. I believe him.

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I remember those fender picks … particularly, a very distinctive taste. At least back in the 70s. Wink

No guesses on the blue (Herdim) pick?

P220Smudge is correct about shipping, plus your local climate for this season.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I use those Fender picks in that tortoise and the white moto or abalone.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
On that note, ya'll know why it's called "moto," right? Mother of Toilet. Wink

Posts: 17166 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Also, extra credit for ID on blue pick. Who, and how. Wink

That’s a Herdim pick. U2’s Edge often uses the dimpled side of one to pluck his strings.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cth1974:
quote:

That’s a Herdim pick. U2’s Edge often uses the dimpled side of one to pluck his strings.

Correctomundo!

1500 points to you; winner winner chicken dinner

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So after some experimentation and much deliberation, I decided on Fender's new model, the "American Vintage II 1961" Stratocaster. As the name implies, this is intended to mimic the Strats of the year, and it does a pretty good job but for some modern electronic attributes (5-way switch being the most obvious). I'd selected this model because I wanted a rosewood fretboard and Olympic white, and nitrocellulose finish, but NOT the faux aging/relic'ing. I also liked the original 7.25" radius fretboard. It seemed this would be a good place to re-start lessons, work on new jazz chordings and at some point, you've just got to say enough!, and pick something.

As is the way, when I decided that was what I wanted, I found that they were out of stock everywhere. Some of the bigger online retailers expected them in April/May. Ironically, Fender's own website had them available, and with a new registration, they offered 10% off. Done!

That was the hard part. The amp was easier for me, and is on order. I selected the Fender '64 Custom Deluxe Reverb combo-amp. As an electronics guy from way back, they had me at "hand-wired tube".Cool For the moment, all I have is my little BOSS solid-state acoustic guitar amp. It sounds very blah through it. I'll find someone for lessons in the coming days and I'll be setting aside an hour a day. Somehow...

Anyway, thanks for the help all!

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Nice setup! Oh, and Blue Chip Picks are some of the best but I think Dunlop Ultex are a close but much cheaper second.

Posts: 17896 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beauty!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Blue Chip Picks

I just looked these up. The TD80 is $50!? Is that for ONE PICK!????

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

That's a beaut. Good choice, my friend. You're at the point where I'd start tearing it apart and customizing. Big Grin

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
That is a beauty, for sure. I’ll bet it plays as good as it looks. Smile

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cth1974:
quote:

Correctomundo!

1500 points to you; winner winner chicken dinner

I might’ve cheated; Rick Beato mentioned it in a video a while ago. Smile

posted Hide Post
Very nice, an Olympic White Strat with a rosewood fretboard is always a good choice.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3539 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
That’s a great looking guitar. Congrats.

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Awesome guitar… Congratulations again!

Now start working on that sweep picking lol …

~Robert A. Heinlein

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That's awesome, congrats! Glad to see the wait wasn't too long. Cool

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Blue Chip Picks

I just looked these up. The TD80 is $50!? Is that for ONE PICK!????

Yeah, they are. I spend a lot of money on things I don't really need. A $50 pick is not going to be one of them. Roll Eyes

Posts: 6622 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post