SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we maintain a thread of just joyous things…
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we maintain a thread of just joyous things… Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I volunteer with homeless care.
Found out recently that two folks, who were destitute and doing drugs for years, turned their lives around! Started attending rehab and church. Now clean, they also got married to each other. Change was so profound that I almost didn't recognize either of them.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My cousin’s Belgian Sheepdog won Best of Breed yesterday at Westminster and Best of show at Belgian Sheepdog Clubs of America’s National Specialty the day before that. She has worked really hard for many years to get there. I’m so proud of her

Posts: 449 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
A nice thread. So much good news. Mine is that fall is only 4-1/2 months out Big Grin

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My oldest son graduated high school and starts college this fall. He also got his AA degree while in high school so he has a bit of a head start:

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Nice, but he should work to pull that GPA up. Wink

I just got a 4% mid-year raise ("economic adjustment") and realized that my salary, after ~13 years, has doubled from my starting salary.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17575 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
My 11 yo just got into Kickboxing at my gym. I've been doing martial arts for x20 years. x15+ Aikido & 5+ BJJ. So it's part of my DNA.

The fact that he can't stop talking about kickboxing makes me smile. I've tried to get him involved with several things and none took. So I basically seem to live at my academy.

Assistant instructor in the BJJ program (purple belt) and help out where I can. Now I'm helping in the kids kickboxing class and learning while I help.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8920 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday my youngest graduated with BS in Nursing, he followed in his oldest sisters footsteps. We are so proud of him and our daughters.

We also have two grandchildren from our younger daughter, Mahlia will be 3 in September and Eli was born in January. I love them both more than words can express. Eli is an handsome little man who is starting to smile annd recognize people. Mahlia and I have a special bond and every moment with her is pure joy. We usually watch them on Saturdays but she told her Mom that she misses Nana and Papa and she needs a sleepover. Needless to say she’s coming tomorrow to spend the night and Papa is wrapped around her little finger.

Posts: 2351 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Went to Bossier City La. last month to see my son's retirement ceremony after 30 years in the USAF. Very moving. In July I'll be traveling to Aptos Ca. to visit a son and daughter.
Very joyous for me.

Posts: 72 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Denny220:
Went to Bossier City La. last month to see my son's retirement ceremony after 30 years in the USAF. Very moving. In July I'll be traveling to Aptos Ca. to visit a son and daughter.
Very joyous for me.

Safe travels Denny, I'm closing in on the halfway mark for my service. I can't imagine 30!

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Our youngest is home with us for a few weeks before departing to Alaska. We were able to get out on the water tonight.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8650 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Been a bit since I posted, life has gotten the better of me over the last few months several times.

Good to see a thread like this, I like the positive.

My small contribution: just returned from a family trip to Montana, Glacier and then Yellowstone. Beautiful trip, and was able to fanagle a couple fly casting lessons from the casting instructor for the "School of Trout" out there, which has me casting like I know what I'm doing. Never woulda thunk it.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
For those that know one of my kids received this for some recent “work” in the sandbox.

Nice, very nice.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7649 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A bit early for memorial day but I went to a deceased WWII Navy vet (dad) and his wife's grave today. My father and mother rocked my world growing up. They set me up for good things. Moms and Pops thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Posts: 7648 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday attended a meeting with the Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency (DPAA) to receive an update regarding my uncle that is MIA from WWII.
They will again attempt to excavate the crash site in July of this year. The plane went down in New Guinea in November 1944.

PC

Posts: 1369 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
My kid over several years has obtained (in order) BS PTA MBA BS & DC

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6400 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
I volunteer with homeless care.
Found out recently that two folks, who were destitute and doing drugs for years, turned their lives around! Started attending rehab and church. Now clean, they also got married to each other. Change was so profound that I almost didn't recognize either of them.

That's amazing! I've watched videos of guys begging for money. When one out of a hundred gives
them some, they repay them a hundred fold and thank them for being kind.
It made me change my perspective on the truly destitute.
We shut down our mental hospitals decades ago, now we have decades of homeless.
I don't get out much, but if someone asked me I'd buy them a meal.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My oldest turned 16 today. We spent the day (and night before) flying to Alaska via Seattle, so his birthday was actually about 28 hours long, and since we flew overnight we were awake for most of that. We finally made it to Kenai around noon, got some lunch and got unpacked and then decided to go climb Skyline trail, which ended up being about 2000-2500 feet of elevation gain over two miles after we went on to to climb the peak at the end. It kicked our butt, especially on top of travelling all night and not sleeping, but it'll be an awesome memory for years to come. So here he is, 16 years old, on top of a mountain in Alaska...it's been a good day!

Posts: 9167 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Photo

That's beautiful

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
My pipsqueak (Grandson)

Posts: 5897 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My nephew just landed in NYC. Was in Israel for a few weeks and his El Al flight was delayed a day due to missiles in the area… he was supposed to go for a legitimate archaeological dig but that got indefinitely delayed due to the war. So he went with a friend and traveled since his plane ticket was still good. All the

Posts: 4943 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post