SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    And Another Cancer Rant
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And Another Cancer Rant Login/Join 
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
How long does the chemo go on? Has she (or you) thought about head coverings or wigs? I only ask because my sis was very self conscious after her hair loss and subsequent regrowth.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5496 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We got the port installed yesterday.

I had no idea they were subdermal now, it works like her expander on the other side.

She hasn't been really paying attention to the doctor when being told what's going to happen. She's too focused on complaining about the discomfort that everyone experiences and wanting continuous pain relief. They aren't going to give her ANY more codeine based pain killers. Period. At least not until the permanent implant goes in and even then it will only be three days worth.

They DID give her a huge supply of lidocaine patches. The placebo effect is strong with her.

I had to inform her that she will be getting BOTH kinds of chemo. She didn't understand. One is every week, and the other is every three along with the first. I didn't tell her the side effects.

I have resorted to referring to them as kitten kisses and unicorn dreams. She will get the true horror show soon enough.

She has complained about the asymmetry of her breasts now. I told her I'd rather have her be alive than a pretty corpse.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34383 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Good news today.

She drove herself to the plastic surgeon for a spacer fill and they told her she is scheduled for a symmetry correction at the time of the permanent implant insertion. It's included in the mastectomy program.

She is elated.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34383 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
The miracles of modern medicine!! Smile

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9365 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The chemo ward is packed.
There are dozens in here this morning and this goes on all day, five days a week.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well, her hair is coming out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
Will it grow back? My GF had radiation rather than chemo, and I guess that's why she didn't lose hair. On the other hand, the radiation is responsible for her COPD.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9365 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chemo nurses have the best answers on this topic and more.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

Well, her hair is coming out.
Bald is sexy. (I keep telling myself).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31372 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was coming back from Etowah Valley on Sunday, passed Northside Forsyth and thought I should check into this thread.

Hair should grow back. They may offer a wig, we got one. The wife did not wear it much except I do remember once to see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy (who still rock any stage they get on and give it their all for any sized crowd, 30 years later). Usually at our local haunts she just put on a slouch hat.

Northside actually buzzed her hair just before it started coming out in bunches. We did it as part of initial wig fit, and I think she wanted at least some control over things. Plus patches out of a buzz cut are easier to deal with.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2387 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, and it’s every hair. Eyebrows are the rain gutters for the face. Doesn’t work so well while in chemo.

The bright side is no leg shaving for awhile. Smile

I told every stupid joke about it that I could. Either she’d smile or be mad at me, but either way her mind was off it for a bit.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2387 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
A member here sent Tabs a plushy cockatoo to cuddle while she's in chemo.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
A member here sent Tabs a plushy cockatoo to cuddle while she's in chemo.

SigForum Rocks!!! Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Tabitha has any idea how many well-wishers she has here, and how many people pray for her. She is with family here.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31372 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
So freaking thoughtful of them! Now we need to get Pippin a toy! Seriously, I think of her almost every day, and just hope that all is as well as it can be. She will persevere. Especially with you having her back.

"Trust, but verify."

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
While at chemo today, I went down to the cafeteria to get lunch. Well, there is the corn kernel Colon Experience® bouncy house you get to go through.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
So freaking thoughtful of them! Now we need to get Pippin a toy!

I thought about this, I was going to ask if anyone considered a stuffed Tabitha toy for Pippin. Big Grin

Posts: 12233 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Well, she looks like Smeagol now and is not taking it well at all.

She can't eat, but I managed to get her to eat mashed potatoes. She can keep them down.

Last chemo session, the doctor was trying to talk to her about her anxiety and she just did her usual rambling poor me, you have to figure out my hints story when I interrupted her to give the doctor my clinical observation about her behavior before and after they give her the Ativan. Tabitha clenched up and glared at me and the doctor stopped her on the spot and told her to let me clarify what she was trying to tell her.

After I got through with my observations, she said "didn't I give you some lorazepam back in December"? I told her it was gone by the surgery date. The doctor just said "well, here's two months more worth". "See, I would have had no idea of what you needed without him to help you", "let him help you".

Vindication that I'm not stupid at last.

Session #5 tomorrow.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Is reglan an option to help with eating and digestion?

"Trust, but verify."

posted Hide Post
quote:
..."let him help you"...

I wish my GF's doctors had given me the same credibility. She thinks, despite that, that they walk on water, and they're actually pretty sub-standard.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18