SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The MSM has their hair on fire about “asymptomatic cases”. I say “Hooray!!”
More people with at least partial immunity!

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
It seems only right that we let our heroic Russian comrades do their fraternal internationalist duty by beta testing that vaccine before anyone else does. Why deny them the glorious place in history that they've earned?

This is how the Zombie Apocalypse starts.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leavemebe:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mm_shooter:
The thing is that there may be no such thing as long lasting immunity. In one German study, they looked at antibody levels in severe cases, and they found that %15 had no protective antibody levels just two months after getting the disease. This goes up to 40% in those that had little to no symptoms. This could be part of the reason why some people keep getting it over and over again.

In other words, the virus itself may not confer immunity.

Researchers are finally beginning to look at the entire picture. Your immune system is not just antibodies. A lot of people who are exposed to this virus never show any symptoms at all. Why is that?

From a recent paper out of Sweden:

"ABSTRACT

SARS-CoV-2-specific memory T cells will likely prove critical for long-term immune protection against COVID-19. We systematically mapped the functional and phenotypic landscape of SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell responses in a large cohort of unexposed individuals as well as exposed family members and individuals with acute or convalescent COVID-19. Acute phase SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells displayed a highly activated cytotoxic phenotype that correlated with various clinical markers of disease severity, whereas convalescent phase SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells were polyfunctional and displayed a stem-like memory phenotype. Importantly, SARS-CoV2-specific T cells were detectable in antibody-seronegative family members and individuals with a history of asymptomatic or mild COVID-19. Our collective dataset shows that SARS-CoV-2 elicits robust memory T cell responses akin to those observed in the context of successful vaccines, suggesting that natural exposure or infection may prevent recurrent episodes of severe COVID-19 also in seronegative individuals."

You can read the pre-print of the paper here: Robust T cell immunity

I saw that too, and another similar paper that discussed how people with no prior specific COVID-19 exposure had T-cells that responded to multiple coronavirus strains, so there's that hope too.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
So, after going all this time with not knowing anyone with C-19, I now know five including one person I work with. Another co-worker is waiting for their test result after being exposed by a sister.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The MSM has their hair on fire about “asymptomatic cases”. I say “Hooray!!”
More people with at least partial immunity!

I guess I have a bad attitude, but when I hear the Lame Stream Media (LSM, fixed it for you Wink ) has their hair on fire about anything, my initial response is “Who gives a rat’s rump what those lying sacks of fecal material have to say?”

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
@ slosig...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
I didn't realize how bad Australia had become...

Melbourne woman choked by Victoria Police as she resists arrest for not wearing a face mask.

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3924 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I wish long life to those in authority who treat people this way. I do. I want them to live a long, long time. I want them to live well past the point of realizing how horribly they behaved and how they were merely political tools.

I want them to live with that realization for a long, long time. I want them to randomly encounter throughout the remainder of their life these videos of them abusing people for horrible, false reasons. I hope they can never forget, no matter how hard they may try. I hope all of this weighs on them like a great granite mountain they can never get out from under.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of talk about people testing positive and assuming they are asymptomatic. I know two people that felt great, had to get tested for travel, and tested positive. They took a follow-up test a few days later and tested negative.

I do not believe many of the tests being administered are accurate, or are conducted properly, thus creating bogus results and inflating numbers for the fall narrative,.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
People want people to not be prosecuted for crimes like smoking and selling illegal drugs, but those same people want folks who don't wear a mask thrown to the ground and put in jail...system error, does not compute.

As an aside, my mom (70 years old) has been sick since Saturday. She got tested and just got her results back today; she is positive with COVID. My dad is 72 and has respiratory issues. While my mom hasn't been on her feet much, she's hanging in there and actually sounded better this morning when I talked to her. My dad is her primary care giver and not freaking out. He's being smart and they are isolating best they can.

My parents are not special or rare. Two folks in their 70's handling it smartly and getting through it on their own with no medical care required. The media would have you believe they would have been dead days ago.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
In case you were wondering why hospitals were reporting every person who walked thru the door as positive for Covid...Here are $822 million reasons why HCA did it. When you multiply that by every other hospital in the country you begin to see why we have so many bogus 'positives'.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/b...5afEhCU#22b98360593c

Hospital Giant HCA Makes $822 Million Profit Off CARES Act Stimulus Money

The large hospital operator HCA Healthcare reported improving profits thanks largely to government stimulus income from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, known as CARES.

HCA, one of the nation’s biggest hospital operators, said it is also seeing an increasing demand for elective surgeries that were cancelled or postponed as inpatient facilities across the country freed up space for patients infected with the Coronavirus strain Covid-19.

But HCA’s biggest profit driver and boost to surviving the pandemic and the influx of Covid-19 patients in the second quarter came from the federal government. In HCA’s second quarter, the government stimulus passed by Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump turned into a windfall as of the end of the second quarter.

The price of HCA shares soared more than 12% or $13 a share to more than $122 a share in Wednesday’s mid-morning trading on the New York Stock Exchange following the company’s release of its quarterly financial report.

“The Company recognized $822 million ($590 million net of tax), or $1.73 per diluted share, in government stimulus income during the second quarter of 2020 related to general distribution funds received from the provider relief fund established by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (“CARES”) Act,” HCA said in its earnings statement Wednesday morning.

The CARES Act was designed to provide relief to providers of medical care who gain reimbursement even if patients have no health insurance coverage. Congress said the money can be used for costs related to treating Covid-19 patients or providers can use it to reimburse for lost revenue related to the pandemic.

Because HCA is investor-owned and publicly-traded, it has to disclose its financials quarterly. Most hospitals are tax-exempt and considered nonprofit and therefore don’t regularly disclose their financials as regularly or in a predictable and timely fashion.

In HCA’s case, second-quarter revenue declined to nearly $11.1 billion from $12.6 billion in the second quarter of last year, net profits jumped to nearly $1.1 billion, or $3.16 per share, surprising Wall Street analysts who follow the company.

During the quarter, HCA said so-called “same facility admissions” fell nearly 13% while same facility “equivalent admissions” tumbled 20% in the second quarter of 2020, compared to the prior year period.

“Patient volumes across most service lines were significantly impacted in April due to state and local policies implemented to contain the spread of Covid-19 and preserve personal protective equipment,” HCA said in its earnings report. “Patient volumes gradually improved in May and June as states began to re-open and allow for non-emergent procedures.”

Looking ahead, HCA Chief Executive Officer Sam Hazen said he couldn’t predict how the company would perform as hot spots in markets arise where hospitals see an influx of Covid-19 patients. HCA has several hospitals in Texas and Florida where states have had difficulty controlling the spread of the virus.

In April, HCA announced it was putting off capital projects, suspending its dividend and share repurchase program and pulling its 2020 financial forecast as the Covid-19 pandemic began to hit its operations.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not believe many of the tests being administered are accurate,

In Denver, there are plenty of places to get tested - hospitals and urgent cares for example. My kid and wife for various reasons have gone to each. You stay in your car, and the nurse shoves the swap up your nose to your brain. Results for either scenarios were either same day or next day.

Pepsi Center, on the other hand is offering the same, but it is self-administered. I am fairly certain no person can shove the swab up their own nose as far as necessary to get an accurate test. Results are 5 days.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw a local news report that here in N.C, the testing lab (Lab Corp) has over reported the number of tests given by 200,000. So... someone needs to ask just how accurate the other results are. I'm sure we all know that answer Mad

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pepsi Center, on the other hand is offering the same, but it is self-administered. I am fairly certain no person can shove the swab up their own nose as far as necessary to get an accurate test. Results are 5 days.

I would of figured you would of decided it just was not worth posting your non sense in this thread by now. Guess not.

I am pretty sure if you can pick your nose. You could do as good of job as those who supposedly are the only ones qualified to do as you suggest zip.

Your credibility as a believable poster has been shredded thanks to your contributions in this thread. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not wanting to be outdone by other liberal idiots, KCMO's lame brain Mayor Quinton Lucas goes big with his latest emergency declaration and mask mandate.State of Emergency extended until Jan 16, 2021 Roll Eyes

https://www.kcmo.gov/Home/Comp...s/News/News/1421/625

Posts: 170 | Location: Kearney, MO | Registered: October 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
The numbers I have found for the accuracy of the tests are 80% for the blood antibody test and 70% for the nasal swab PCR test. That means you need to take them twice in a row and get the same result if you want to be 96% confident or 91% confident respectively.

Posts: 1502 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I think Aetna's profits for the last quarter were up over $6 billion from the same quarter last year

don't tell me that no one is making money off the DemPanic...the insurance company's are making out like bandits

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
The numbers I have found for the accuracy of the tests are 80% for the blood antibody test and 70% for the nasal swab PCR test. That means you need to take them twice in a row and get the same result if you want to be 96% confident or 91% confident respectively.
Anybody tries to stick that shit into my nose again and I'll shoot 'em 14 times in the spleen. Once was more than enough.

I'd rather be jabbed in the sack with a sharpened pencil than to go through that again.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ 2 pages back I noted that I tested positive for the China Virus. The test was for an upcoming Proceedure.

Had another test done the next day and those results just came back negative. More inclined to believe the second test as I don’t have any symptoms.

The shitty thing is it pushed my Proceedure to the end of September for no reason....

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5752 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Current figure is that 40% of people with COVID-19 are asymptomatic.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16352 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post