SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
So report them, all of them. The Governor, Lt. Governor, health dept. folks at all levels, every member of the legislature, etc. Flood the system with reports.

^^^^^^^^^^^
I suspect there will be a STEEP fine for false reporting but NO reward for turning in your neighbor. Putin would be proud.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjevans:
...more people doing the right thing, less people doing the wrong thing.

I have no idea what this means.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Nashville has already started enforcing mask mandates with citations and arrests.

quote:
Deshawn Williams, Patrick Walls and Jesse Burger were each charged with County Board of Health regulation violations,

https://fox17.com/news/local/4...roadway-this-weekend

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
With schools going on line due to the Chinese Virus - In a strange twist, I guess this is a good thing.
------------

Teachers Openly Fret That Parents Might Hear Them Brainwashing Children, Call Parents ‘Dangerous’

In one of the creepiest yet most revealing Twitter threads ever to be posted on the platform, a teacher recently fretted out loud that virtual classes might allow parents to hear him brainwashing their kids. Matthew R. Kay, an educator and author of a book on “how to lead meaningful race conversations in the classroom,” worried that “conservative parents” would be able to interfere with the “messy work” of indoctrinating children into critical race theory, gender theory, and other left-wing dogmas.

Here’s the entire thread, which has since been set to private:

So, this fall, virtual class discussion will have many potential spectators — parents, siblings, etc. — in the same room. We’ll never be quite sure who is overhearing the discourse. What does this do for our equity/inclusion work?

How much have students depended on the (somewhat) secure barriers of our physical classrooms to encourage vulnerability? How many of us have installed some version of “what happens here stays here” to help this?

While conversation about race are in my wheelhouse, and remain a concern in this no-walls environment — I am most intrigued by the damage that “helicopter/snowplow” parents can do in the host conversations about gender/sexuality. And while “conservative” parents are my chief concern — I know that the damage can come from the left too. If we are engaged in the messy work of destabilizing a kid’s racism or homophobia or transphobia — how much do we want their classmates’ parents piling on?

It’s important to note that while some teachers responded to Kay’s comments with the appropriate level of horror and disgust, many others chimed in to share their own strategies for brainwashing during a pandemic. One teacher said she’d also been “thinking about” the problem Kay described, and had decided that she’d ask students about their preferred pronouns via survey — though she still worries that “caregivers” might see it and learn something about their children that they weren’t supposed to know.

Another teacher said that students last semester would sometimes “type secrets into the chat” whenever the discussion turned to “anti-racism and gender inclusive content.” Another complained that a white parent— she made sure to specify “white” — in her district recorded a Zoom class and “filed a complaint against the teacher for an anti-racist read aloud (saying the teacher’s commentary was inappropriate and biased).” This, the teacher says, “is going to be an issue.”

A ninth grade teacher shared in the commiseration, saying that her class required students to “read and respond to a news article,” but that participation in this exercise is stunted now because “outsiders” are “listening.” The “outsiders,” to be clear, are the children’s parents. A teacher with pronouns listed in her Twitter handle said that she plans to use the chat function more than voice lectures because she wants children to share “information” with her in a “parentless way.” A science teacher agreed with all of the sentiments expressed here and summarized it bluntly: “Parents are dangerous.”

And these are just the comments that were captured in screenshots before the tweets were all made private. Presumably, there is more where this came from. A lot more.

Several points must be made in response.

First, classrooms are certainly not “safe places” for children to be “vulnerable.” Students may say and do things when they are with their peers in school that they would not say and do at home, but only a fool who doesn’t understand the first thing about child psychology and the effects of peer pressure would assume that the child’s at-school version of himself is the most authentic, much less the most healthy. The pressure to conform to the values and opinions of your peers in the classroom is immense, and often suffocating. There is a reason why rejection and alienation by peers has contributed to a true epidemic of suicide among young people.

The very same people who extol the classroom as a “safe place” for vulnerability will also tell us, on different days and in different contexts, that bullying is a major problem for today’s youth and many of them are driven to self-destruction because of it. So, which is it? Is the classroom a place for open and genuine dialogue, where children can safely express their truest feelings and beliefs, or is it a place rife with bullying and mockery, where rigid conformity is demanded and those who fail to meet the demands are severely punished? It certainly can’t be both.

Second, an adult keeping a secret with a child, and helping the child conceal that secret from his parent — especially when the secret has anything to do with sexuality — is acting in a way that is nothing short of predatory. If you heard a strange man on the playground whisper to your child, “this will just be our little secret,” you would assume that the man is some kind of sex offender. Does this behavior suddenly transform from disturbing to admirable if the strange man is a teacher? No, it doesn’t. But this is the sort of license society has given to teachers, on the the theory that they cannot do the work of educating unless they have more power over, and intimate knowledge of, their students than the students’ own parents.

That brings us, finally, to point three, which is that a public school teacher is not supposed to be, and should not try to be, educator, parent, shaman, spiritual guide, therapist, friend, confidant, and sex counselor, all rolled into one. He or she is meant to fill only the first role on that list, and only in the subject the teacher has been assigned to teach. A child’s actual parents only come to be viewed as “dangerous” interlopers and intrusive “outsiders” when teachers begin to view themselves and the school system as the true guardians and conservators of the children that are temporarily in their care. And that, ultimately, is the problem with the modern education system.

Children are not old enough to be emancipated. They cannot yet go out and live their own lives. They cannot make every decision for themselves. They must belong to someone — not owned like objects but cared for and protected like the vulnerable human beings they are. The fundamental question is who do they belong to. Different cultures in different times and places have had different answers to this question.

Here, in contemporary American society, there are generally two ways of looking at it: children belong to their parents, or they belong to the school system (which is to say, the government). In one vision, a child is a son or daughter, in the other, the child is a ward of the state.

Only one of these visions is healthy, natural, and humanizing. Only one can properly facilitate a child’s emotional, mental, intellectual, and spiritual growth. The school system doesn’t just have a wrong and harmful idea of what education is — it has a wrong and harmful idea of what a child is, and what its fundamental role in a child’s life is supposed to be. And that is why I will not send my kids into its clutches. Neither should you.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...m_campaign=position1

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doctor Recommends Children Wear Yellow Badges If They Haven’t Been Vaccinated

The response to that idiot doctor should be to come on out and try to put one of those on my kids and see what happens.
As John Wayne said (as Davey Crockett) in "the Alamo" about Santa Ana....Guess we can't stop him from coming. But I reckon we can arrange for him to limp going back

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Nashville has already started enforcing mask mandates with citations and arrests.

quote:
Deshawn Williams, Patrick Walls and Jesse Burger were each charged with County Board of Health regulation violations,

https://fox17.com/news/local/4...roadway-this-weekend
Wonder what the mechanism is (assuming there is one) to follow up on these citations. Something tells me the vast majority of these will never be paid. I surely wouldn't fork over anything.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
600 pages and the pandemic is not over.

By half.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31444 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
600 pages and the pandemic is not over.

By half.

Those assholes are going to run with this pandemic until a communist gains the presidency, so we have 8 or 12 more years of this BS at least.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
FFS, cut it out. All the time you've been here and all the posts you've put up, and you come out with something like that.

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:
Those assholes are going to run with this pandemic until a communist gains the presidency, so we have 8 or 12 more years of this BS at least.

Last time I checked, Donald Trump ain't no fuckin commie.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16702 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wonder what the mechanism is (assuming there is one) to follow up on these citations. Something tells me the vast majority of these will never be paid. I surely wouldn't fork over anything.

You can't challenge these things in court without standing, and being cited/arrested is a good start to getting that foot in the door.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I thought Memphis had a monopoly on the ding-a-lings in Tennessee. Eek

A Nashville, Tennessee, councilwoman wants those who don’t wear face masks during the coronavirus pandemic to be charged with attempted murder.

Sharon Hurt, an at-large councilwoman of the Nashville Metro Council, joined an Aug. 5 meeting between Public Safety, Beer & Regulated Beverages and Health, Hospitals, & Social Services committees.

“My question goes back to legislation,” she said during the meeting. “But my concern is — you know I work for an organization, that if they pass a virus, then they are tried for murder or attempted murder, if they are not told … and this person who may very well pass this virus that's out in the air because they're not wearing a mask is basically doing the same thing to someone who contracts it and dies from it.”

“It seems to me that we have been more reactive, as opposed to proactive, and a little too late, too little. So, my thing is, maybe there should be legislation, stronger legislation, I don't know if Mike Jameson is ... can speak to it, but maybe there needs to be stronger legislation to say that if you do not wear a mask and you subject exposure of this virus to someone else then there will be some stronger penalty as it is in other viruses that are exposed,” she added.

Director of legislative affairs for the mayor’s office, Mike Jameson, responded by saying that the city council doesn’t have the authority to create criminal legislation.

"The council does not have the opportunity on its own to create criminal legislation, that is a state creature. We're warranted by state law, to apply criminal application to violations, just for example, as the state law allows us to apply a Class E misdemeanor to violate a health director violation," Jameson said. "But, in terms of creating a new code, or class of criminal offenses, that is a creature of state law."

“I was afraid that was going to be the answer,” Hurt responded. “I guess that’s the whole point of asking for something to be done as early as the Council was pushing. It seems it was not taken as seriously as it should have been and thus we are in the situation we are in right now.”

Hurt’s comments come as some states push for stronger mask mandates, including in Indiana, where Republican Gov. Eric Holcomb signed a mask-wearing mandate at the end of July. Hundreds of protesters gathered outside Indiana’s Statehouse in Indianapolis over the weekend to denounce the face mask requirement.

https://www.washingtonexaminer...t-wearing-face-masks

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

You can't challenge these things in court without standing, and being cited/arrested is a good start to getting that foot in the door.
My question revolved more around the how do they make you pay issue. Something tells me with court dockets overflowing with cases, stuff like this will never see its day in court nor are there any real punishments they can level against you for non-payment. So I say, write away if it makes ya happy, I won't be paying a one of them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by roberth:

Last time I checked, Donald Trump ain't no fuckin commie.

I think you misunderstood what I said.

The communists won't win this upcoming presidential election and they won't win 2024, 2028, or 2032. I think they've really screwed themselves good, hopefully no democrat gets in the White House ever again.

When I'm driving around I see ZERO Biden sticker, NONE, and I live in a democrat city. I see Trump stickers and old Obama stickers, but not Biden.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So who's going to be first in line for the Russian vaccine that's been 'stringently tested' for less than two months????

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/c...navirus-development/

quote:

Moscow — Russian President Vladimir Putin says a coronavirus vaccine developed in the country has been registered for use and one of his daughters has already been inoculated. Speaking at a government meeting on state television Tuesday, Putin emphasized that the vaccine has proven efficient during tests and offers a lasting immunity from the coronavirus.

"I know that it works quite effectively, forms strong immunity, and I repeat, it has passed all the needed checks," the Reuters news agency quotes him as saying.

He said one of his two daughters has received a shot of the vaccine and is feeling well. "In this sense, she took part in the experiment," he observed.

........ (more at the link) .....

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1748 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
It seems only right that we let our heroic Russian comrades do their fraternal internationalist duty by beta testing that vaccine before anyone else does. Why deny them the glorious place in history that they've earned?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
And in actual news, Dr. Scott Atlas of the Hoover Institution and Tucker Carlson Tonight has been appointed to the White House Task Force. When he was on TCT last night the banner read “WH Coronavirus Task Force” but there was no explanation.
Today’s news confirms this.
PJ Media link

Atlas has been cheering for the rise in cases in the US as building herd immunity, while MSM and even FNC have been putting up scare headlines “most cases in the world!!!”.
Atlas will bring a very different perspective to the Task Force.
I hope he will be listened to; and hope that he will educate the idiotic media on what is good news and what is bad.
For example, Dr. Atlas cheered the news of young people getting together at bars. Without masks.

Sweden appears to have been successful in achieving herd immunity; only 16% of Swedes wore masks; they got a bad rap as early on they had more cases and more deaths; but now they have a near-zero new deaths rate while other countries that locked down are experiencing a second wave—because not enough low-risk people got immunity.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweden appears to have been successful in achieving herd immunity; only 16% of Swedes wore masks; they got a bad rap as early on they had more cases and more deaths; but now they have a near-zero new deaths rate while other countries that locked down are experiencing a second wave—because not enough low-risk people got immunity.

The thing is that there may be no such thing as long lasting immunity. In one German study, they looked at antibody levels in severe cases, and they found that %15 had no protective antibody levels just two months after getting the disease. This goes up to 40% in those that had little to no symptoms. This could be part of the reason why some people keep getting it over and over again.

In other words, the virus itself may not confer immunity.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leavemebe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mm_shooter:
The thing is that there may be no such thing as long lasting immunity. In one German study, they looked at antibody levels in severe cases, and they found that %15 had no protective antibody levels just two months after getting the disease. This goes up to 40% in those that had little to no symptoms. This could be part of the reason why some people keep getting it over and over again.

In other words, the virus itself may not confer immunity.

Researchers are finally beginning to look at the entire picture. Your immune system is not just antibodies. A lot of people who are exposed to this virus never show any symptoms at all. Why is that?

From a recent paper out of Sweden:

"ABSTRACT

SARS-CoV-2-specific memory T cells will likely prove critical for long-term immune protection against COVID-19. We systematically mapped the functional and phenotypic landscape of SARS-CoV-2-specific T cell responses in a large cohort of unexposed individuals as well as exposed family members and individuals with acute or convalescent COVID-19. Acute phase SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells displayed a highly activated cytotoxic phenotype that correlated with various clinical markers of disease severity, whereas convalescent phase SARS-CoV-2-specific T cells were polyfunctional and displayed a stem-like memory phenotype. Importantly, SARS-CoV2-specific T cells were detectable in antibody-seronegative family members and individuals with a history of asymptomatic or mild COVID-19. Our collective dataset shows that SARS-CoV-2 elicits robust memory T cell responses akin to those observed in the context of successful vaccines, suggesting that natural exposure or infection may prevent recurrent episodes of severe COVID-19 also in seronegative individuals."

You can read the pre-print of the paper here: Robust T cell immunity

"It is easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled." Unknown observer of human behavior.

Posts: 671 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, my biology is a bit rusty - but from what I recall - antibodies generally do fade over time, but the body has mechanisms to remember how to recreate them if they run into a similar virus. So I'm not sure that all this focus on fading antibodies is really relevant - but I'm sure others may be more knowledgeable in this area.

Posts: 247 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: December 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post