SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
[T]he main reason a lot of Americans went to Soviet Russia during the Great Depression to find work, believing the utopian stories they were reading in the papers. A lot of them never made it back home to the US.

An excellent book about that little-known aspect of history: The Forsaken.

Thanks! Reading it now.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
OK we are officially in a science fiction movie.

NYC using drones to tell people to social distance.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMbSpnlOOtE

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
98, 91, 83, 71 year olds added to the body count today in Oregon, for a grand total of 34.

Governor says lockdown will remain in place until there's no deaths for two weeks. Unfuckingbelievable!

https://www.oregonlive.com/#/0

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
We just found out my wife's cousin's son died this morning from the virus. Mid-30's and just had a son. San Diego area.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/heal...entilator-stockpile/

The story, reported by ProPublica on Monday, echoes a similar report by the Los Angeles Times last week about California’s stockpile. In both cases, Republican leaders built up emergency supplies, which were later cut for budgetary reasons.

The Times reported that then-Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, worried about recent pandemics in Asia, and noting the political fallout of Hurricane Katrina for President George W. Bush, invested hundreds of millions of dollars in ventilators, masks, and mobile hospitals.

Similarly, and at the same time, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg prepared a stockpile for use in case of a pandemic.

In July 2006, with an aggressive and novel strain of the flu circulating in Asia and the Middle East, New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg unveiled a sweeping pandemic preparedness plan.

Using computer models to calculate how a disease could spread rapidly through the city’s five boroughs, experts concluded New York needed a substantial stockpile of both masks and ventilators. If the city confronted a pandemic on the scale of the 1918 Spanish flu, the experts found, it would face a “projected shortfall of between 2,036 and 9,454 ventilators.”

The city’s department of health, working with the state, was to begin purchasing ventilators and to “stockpile a supply of facemasks,” according to the report. Shortly after it was released, Bloomberg held a pandemic planning summit with top federal officials, including Dr. Anthony Fauci, now the face of the national coronavirus response.

In the end, the alarming predictions failed to spur action. In the months that followed, the city acquired just 500 additional ventilators as the effort to create a larger stockpile fizzled amid budget cuts.

Even those extra ventilators are long gone, the health department said on Sunday. The lifesaving devices broke down over time and were auctioned off by the city at least five years ago because the agency couldn’t afford to maintain them.

Ironically, ProPublica adds, the experience of the H1N1 swine flu in 2009 lulled the city into a false sense of security, because it turned out to be far less destructive than had been initially feared.

USA Today confirmed last week that the Obama administration depleted the national stockpile of respirator masks and other supplies during the H1N1 outbreak, but never restored it.

President Donald Trump has faced criticism as states have struggled to obtain emergency supplies in the coronavirus outbreak.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/heal...ne-pills-from-india/

President Donald Trump persuaded India’s prime minister to release many millions of hydroxychloroquine pills on April 6 after the Indian government had announced it would keep all of the pills for its own population of almost 1.5 billion people.

“I called Prime Minister Modi of India this morning … and I said I’d appreciate it if they would release the amounts that we ordered,” Trump told reporters April 4, adding:

They make large amounts of hydroxychloroquine — very large amounts, frankly. They had a hold [on exports], because, you know, they have 1.5. billion people, and they think a lot of it. And I said I’d appreciate it if they would release the amounts that we ordered …

But we have already 29 million [dosesin stock]. That’s a big number. Twenty-nine million doses. And we’ve got millions of doses that are being made here and many millions of doses that are made elsewhere that are being shipped here, and it will be arriving…

But there’s a lot of very positive things happening with that. That’s a game changer if that’s the case. Obviously, we continue to work on the vaccines, but the vaccines have to be down the road by probably 14, 15, 16 months.

Posts: 19575 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG228:
98, 91, 83, 71 year olds added to the body count today in Oregon, for a grand total of 34.

Governor says lockdown will remain in place until there's no deaths for two weeks. Unfuckingbelievable!

https://www.oregonlive.com/#/0

Uhhhh, what?

Seriously, do we any adults in charge anymore? That is so juvenile it actually surprised me even though it came from a moronic leftist.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
CNN Roll Eyes

Adjusted coronavirus model predicts fewer people in US will need hospitals, but 82,000 will still die by August

It’s total bullshit. 3 weeks ago it was “OMFG 2 million people!”

Last week was “OMFG 200,000 people!”

Now it’s 80,000? These people have no goddam clue what’s going to happen but they enjoy keeping people terrified. Mad

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Maybe my funny bone has been a victim of all this social distancing and lock down nonsense, but Sam Jackson looking like a black smurf in a beret sitting in Pee Wee's Playhouse and telling me to "Stay the F home" rubs me the wrong way. Maybe Sam and his other Hollywood assholes can "Shut the F Up" and stay out of my life.
quote:
Yep. Because the current models have been oh so accurate to date". Roll Eyes No agenda with this garbage.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Well hell! That's straight off the IHME model, EXACT number, who knew... Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
CNN Roll Eyes

Adjusted coronavirus model predicts fewer people in US will need hospitals, but 82,000 will still die by August

Now it’s 80,000? These people have no goddam clue what’s going to happen but they enjoy keeping people terrified. Mad

You have to look at context, the models' assumptions, and what the numbers actually mean. That has not always been well reported.

The 2 million number was an upper limit based on the idea that no one does anything to slow the spread and everyone goes about their business like nothing is happening and 100+ million people get it in the next few months.

The 82,000 number is the best estimate of a model (the IHME model) that assumes, essentially, that everyone stays inside until the virus is gone. They also report an "uncertainty interval" - the range that they figure there's a 95% chance the actual eventual result will be in. For the IHME model, today, that's about 50,000 to 136,000.

I'm not sure where President Trump's 100,000-200,000 number the other day came from.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Skins2881:
OK we are officially in a science fiction movie.

First, don't fuck with me. I'm a desperate man! And second, I want some fresh coffee. And third, I want a recount! And no matter how it turns out, I want my old job back!

And I want a bigger office! And I want a new car! And I want the city to pay for it all!

Something with reclining leather seats, that goes really fast, and gets really shitty gas mileage!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Well John Prine is gone.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I'm not sure where President Trump's 100,000-200,000 number the other day came from.

Where do you think? Fauci. The President didn’t pull the numbers from his ass. Don’t tell me you’ve already forgotten. It was just last week for Pete’s sake! Lmao

https://www.npr.org/sections/c...from-the-coronavirus

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 2 million number was an upper limit based on the idea that no one does anything to slow the spread...

You left something out. That model was also hastily done, was not peer reviewed prior to release, and when peer reviewed found to have many flaws and errors.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
CNN Roll Eyes

You have to look at context, the models' assumptions, and what the numbers actually mean. That has not always been well reported.

The 2 million number was an upper limit based on the idea that no one does anything to slow the spread and everyone goes about their business like nothing is happening and 100+ million people get it in the next few months.

The 82,000 number is the best estimate of a model (the IHME model) that assumes, essentially, that everyone stays inside until the virus is gone. They also report an "uncertainty interval" - the range that they figure there's a 95% chance the actual eventual result will be in. For the IHME model, today, that's about 50,000 to 136,000.

Come on, lets be honest for a moment. The models and projections have been spectacularly wrong to date. The primary reason? Likely the incorporation of data and unsubstantiated assumptions into the models based on foreign data. And again we're back to the most important question we all should be asking...."Is the immense damage done to the US economy worth it based upon where the numbers sit now (and are likely headed)?"

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
This coupled with his errors way back in the 80’s with the HIV/AIDS virus, I shall now refer to Dr. Fauci as Dr. Falsi

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I'm going to take a guess and say it was that little technocratic Napoleon Fauci and his models that told Trump that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Uhhhh, what?

Seriously, do we any adults in charge anymore? That is so juvenile it actually surprised me even though it came from a moronic leftist.

It's like a bad SNL skit. Until no 98 year olds die, everyone sits home with their thumb up their ass.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post