SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 ... 1206
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
I also know I can't get meat and some other staples at the grocery store. I've tried.

Unless you're hurting for staples, right now, my suspicion is the mindless panic that's causing everybody to buy up everything in sight will soon subside and you'll be able to acquire those things. Of course ICBW.

I'll say a week and things in the stores should normalize a bit. I mean seriously, how much toilet paper can one fit in his garage? Eventually people will begin to head to the stores again for just those little items that they need at that moment. That could be just wishful thinking too of course.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Next up: People panicking over people panicking.

Panicking is more contagious than the virus.

By a long shot. Everyone is being effected by it, unlike the virus itself.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

quote:
I also know I can't get meat and some other staples at the grocery store. I've tried.

Unless you're hurting for staples, right now, my suspicion is the mindless panic that's causing everybody to buy up everything in sight will soon subside and you'll be able to acquire those things. Of course ICBW.

I'll say a week and things in the stores should normalize a bit. I mean seriously, how much toilet paper can one fit in his garage? Eventually people will begin to head to the stores again for just those little items that they need at that moment. That could be just wishful thinking too of course.

I agree. Things will settle down after this week when all the boomers have their 25 cases of toilet paper and realize the world is not ending.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It almost has to.

Obviously, the food-selling capacity of grocery stores in the United States is plenty to feed everyone.

People are buying way more than they need right now because they're being stupid, but most people have a fairly limited capacity to store excess food. They're going to hit that capacity, and then, unless they want to just buy stuff to throw away, they'll stop.

That assumes there won't be any widespread disruption of food distribution to grocery stores, but there's no evidence that will happen at all, much less any time soon.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
... You're probably not, literally, terrified.

OK, good point. Terrified was a strong word then. I'm somewhat more than mildly concerned, then. Smile

This is unprecedented in my lifetime. I have seen some supply chain interruptions from hurricanes and winter storms (no gas and no electricity for a week), and that was no fun. Add an invisible and sometimes deadly bug coming in and trying to kill me at the same time, and make it last for 8 weeks plus, and my antennae go up a bit. Wink

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Did my weekly shopping today. Kroger was busy. Normal # of people but filling carts. No paper products, canned goods, etc. Most of the meat was gone. Granted with all schools closed parents have an additional meal a day to fix but no need for this run on everything.

Employees were stressed and irritated. I know the manager, said he hasn't seen anything like this in 45 years.

People were starting to get stupid too. Arguing with employees over restrictions. On the flip side people were being helpful too, assisting short people reach things on high shelves, etc.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AirmanJeff:
quote:
quote:

quote:

I agree. Things will settle down after this week when all the boomers have their 25 cases of toilet paper and realize the world is not ending.

I am not a boomer but please stow that boomer bullshit. So fucking sick of hearing that. A big chunk of the people here on this board are in fact boomers, is your intention to insult them as stupid?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of y'all are panicking as badly about the economic impact as others are about the virus, itself.

The panicking about the panicking started about 100 pages back, as soon as Ballsy Hallsy started to be inconveniced.

Posts: 2347 | Registered: October 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

I am not a boomer but please stow that boomer bullshit. So fucking sick of hearing that. A big chunk of the people here on this board are in fact boomers, is your intention to insult them as stupid?

Not an insult - it's simply a generational difference, no need to get your panties in a wad.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigwylde:
quote:
Some of y'all are panicking as badly about the economic impact as others are about the virus, itself.

The panicking about the panicking started about 100 pages back, as soon as Ballsy Hallsy started to be inconveniced.

Cute. Feel better now?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I haven't been able to get key items with having little children like baby wipes and powder, etc

Placed an order via Amazon Prime and got some but now seeing that even Amazon is having supply chain issues between the panic ordering and China supply chain being cut off.

The next few months are going to be fun. Confused

My pregnant wife has been pretty stoic so far but is now starting to get uneasy about the empty shelves everywhere and stores now restricting hours which is NOT a good sign. She said "I don't have any meat!" - I opened up the freezer and said "what? We can't fit anything else in here because it's FULL of venison!"

She also said she was having a hard time finding bread anywhere and I said "Did you forget you married an ex-baker and pasty chef?"

I had her get flour and yeast and oil on her last run which luckily hasn't been stripped bare yet and told her we will make our own bread if it comes down to that. Hell, I might be planting a big vegetable garden in the back yard this year at the current rate! My COVID-19 Victory Garden!

I learned how to bake bread over the weekend, it came out amazing. I've always wanted to try but had a shit oven, new one is 1000x better. Wish I bought more flour, hopefully there is some left after work.

For my garden this year I bought all seeds, usually buy my plants at local greenhouse, but I didn't want to count on them since I'm a month away from planting.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
The thing that’s becoming more interesting to me as this progresses is how many divisions it’s leading to, even among members of an Internet forum who will never so much as lay eyes on each other.

A specific thing that fascinates me is seeing examples of the fact that although I am far more worried about the economic effects that the country will feel for a long time—and apropos of nothing, far longer than November—than I am of the disease itself, many people are demonstrating much less empathy over the possible loss of someone’s [human] loved one than we would see if someone’s elderly dog had died. The Internet allows me to learn things that I would have never known otherwise.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I'm a boomer, and I'm not very concerned. I'm not buying cases of TP and sanitizer. I'm prepared.

So, you can't make generalizations about boomers and this event any more than you can make them about other things.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16516 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is going to happen to all the restaurant food supply? Will most of the fresh vegetables be diverted to groceries or will it rot in the warehouses? Are the owners of restaurant & bar rental properties going to forgo rent?

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
... You're probably not, literally, terrified.

OK, good point. Terrified was a strong word then. I'm somewhat more than mildly concerned, then. Smile

There ya go, man, keep as cool as you can
Face piles of trials with smiles
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
And keep on thinking free

-- The Moody Blues, On the Threshold of a Dream, In The Beginning

Smile

quote:
This is unprecedented in my lifetime. ... my antennae go up a bit. Wink

You're not alone. It's unprecedented in nearly all our lifetimes. Thing is: It's not really as bad as the Dominant Media is making it out to be, and many who are literally panicking believe it to be. Once people realize that, and the Dominant Media find Another New Thing To Hype, it will pass.

Next time, and there will probably be a next time, just let your antenna go up a bit sooner. Then you won't be caught short like you were this time.

quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
A specific thing that fascinates me is seeing examples of the fact that although I am far more worried about the economic effects that the country will feel for a long time—and apropos of nothing, far longer than November—than I am of the disease itself, many people are demonstrating much less empathy over the possible loss of someone’s [human] loved one than we would see if someone’s elderly dog had died. The Internet allows me to learn things that I would have never known otherwise.

Hear! Hear!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I got to wondering if the powers that be have established the criteria for continuing or rolling back all the restrictions (at least here in Ohio). School is out for at least three weeks. So how do you decide then whether to go back? When can restaurants re-open? How many cases or deaths will determine whether they open or stay closed? What if the numbers are getting worse nation wide but not in Ohio? And if they have these measures determined do you think they will be made public?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:

I tend to agree with this. In my mind, there are two variables though.

One is that grocery stores will be servicing a much greater amount of people now that restaurants are affected and closed. Many people on this board do not fall into this category, but there are many people 40 and younger that, for the most part, just do not grocery shop. They eat out nearly every meal. They have no idea how to cook anything other than microwave a frozen meal. That group, and it is a large group, will now have to grocery shop and learn how to prepare meals at home.

The flip side of this is that many people are going to run out of money very soon. With the service based economy in Orlando, many of these people live paycheck to paycheck, or even shift to shift on daily tips, and since nearly everything is shut down, those people are not going to be able to shop even they wanted to.

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
She also said she was having a hard time finding bread anywhere and I said "Did you forget you married an ex-baker and pasty chef?"

I had her get flour and yeast and oil on her last run which luckily hasn't been stripped bare yet and told her we will make our own bread if it comes down to that. Hell, I might be planting a big vegetable garden in the back yard this year at the current rate! My COVID-19 Victory Garden!

My wife baked bread for the first time in 10 years this past week (we've been on low-carb diet for past 10 years--her whole-wheat bread made with freshly-ground wheat berries is so irresistible when it comes hot from the oven!. Ordered 50 lbs. of harder winter wheat berries from Amazon.

She's also talking about planting tomatoes in the back yard, so we may have a Virus Victory Garden too.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
I think RHINO was speaking about watching the liberal utopia fucks having to deal with the real world and that their communist utopia is all fantasy.
Yes indeed.
quote:
quote:
Why would it be fun? I am here in Ohio where the same thing is happening, and it is terrifying.

"Terrifying?" Get a grip, man. It's concerning, sure. But should hardly be "terrifying."

Yeah, definitely an 'over-reaction' to be 'terrified'.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Notice just emailed out by my gym:

quote:
Through executive order by [Michigan] Governor Whitmer, all gyms and health clubs must be shut down today by 3 pm effective until March 30th. Please plan accordingly and feel free to get your workout in prior to 3 pm. At 3 pm, we will be asking any members remaining in the club to kindly exit per this order, and we will be disabling 24 hour door access until this order is lifted.

No surprise there.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post