SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 ... 1212
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Just realized something about CA - the governess closed or restricted capacity of all non-unionized businesses (farmer's markets, diners, bars, etc) but has not imposed state mandated restrictions on unionized businesses (grocery stores are a big one in this state).

I wonder how that was determined....

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14069 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Question: Given 2 basically identical healthy middle-aged people, say in the 40's, with identical medical history, does anyone know what causes one person to have severe symptoms and the other to have very mild ones? Is it based on which parts of the body the virus reaches?

Posts: 2341 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
We - the Royal "we" - seem to be staggering at the starting block with a - rather mild so far - pandemic, but improving.

I was thinking about this earlier this morning. That may be one of the few silver linings in what's going on. Compared to something really nasty getting loose (e.g.: Ebola), SARS-CoV-2/Covid-19 isn't particularly horrible. So perhaps a good, if expensive, exercise.

Question, Doc H: Do we have any current, more-or-less credible, guesstimates on R0? First it was thought to be as high as 6+, then as low as 2+, now I'm seeing some suggestions it may fall more near 4.5.

Seasonal influenza falls right around 1.6. SARS-CoV-2 does seem to be a lot more infectious, but just how much more?

An interesting (unpublished) Yale study early on:

https://www.medrxiv.org/conten...020.02.16.20023770v1

With an R0 of 3.6. And a more interesting conclusion that the pandemic would end in early April.

Same thing from JMV, early:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.co...ll/10.1002/jmv.25723

My educated guess is, based on the one adaptation already seen from SARS-Cov-2, about 4. Which means an earlier estimate from Harvard predicting 70% of the global population exposed by the end of the year is not unlikely.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TAllen01:
Why would it be fun? I am here in Ohio where the same thing is happening, and it is terrifying.

"Terrifying?" Get a grip, man. It's concerning, sure. But should hardly be "terrifying."

I've got an asthmatic son who, if he gets it, well, I don't want to put that down in writing.

I also know I can't get meat and some other staples at the grocery store. I've tried.

I also know that medication supplies are about to be interrupted because so many come from China.

I also know it is in my community, and several people with it are being treated at two of my local hospitals (and some have been released). It literally could be right next door.

I know a lot of my friends and family who are over 60, or have pre-existing lung and heart conditions, will have a significant chance of dying when (not if) they get it.

Yes, that's terrifying to me. Maybe not to you, but to me, it is.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The libtard Governor of PA has ordered that all bars and restaurants in PA 5 counties, including Montgomery County PA which borders Philly, close down for 2 weeks and the restaurants can only do take-out. Many of them are just not set up for this and shutting down, including two restaurants owned by my sister and brother in law in Phoenixville, PA. I now fear they will not survive this and are basically already out of business. Frown

What is hilarious is he just tried to order Philadelphia to do the same now and the equally libtarded Mayor of Philly is refusing to comply, citing Philadelphia's "home rule" that gives them the ability to not follow state mandates.

This is going to be a total shit-show. Eek

Washington States resident commie did the same thing last night. It's fucked over thousands of people.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some of y'all are panicking as badly about the economic impact as others are about the virus, itself.

Next up: People panicking over people panicking.

The economic damage from this panic will be far worse than the virus.

Mark my words. No panic, just facts.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3988 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:

With an R0 of 3.6. And a more interesting conclusion that the pandemic would end in early April.

I think they are saying that they expect the epidemic in China to be over by early April, not worldwide.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I’m being told that around here local cops have elected to not enforce an UnConstitutional bar and restaurant ban.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37133 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bozman:
TAllen01...

I think RHINO was speaking about watching the liberal utopia fucks having to deal with the real world and that their communist utopia is all fantasy.

I am also in Ohio (hell, we may even be close).

Take a deep breath and chill man...

If you are in central Ohio, you are OK (for now). Butler County, where I am, has 6 confirmed, and groceries are in limited supply and rationed.

And yes, I get that he want to 'own the libs,' but my point is that this is happening in red states with Republican governors too. It is not fun for me to watch a deadly virus invade this country and destroy the economy and businesses, no matter the political leaning of a particular city or state.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

I think they are saying that they expect the epidemic in China to be over by early April, not worldwide.

That is correct, and in fact looks to be trending toward.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:

Panicking is more contagious than the virus.

Year V

Posts: 2649 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TAllen01,

Nothing I or anyone else on this board can do to help you deal with reality.

Our grocery stores are empty too, me and the wife also require some meds that may soon be unavailable, and my mother is in her late 70's. However, what I will not do (unlike many others here), is lose my everlovin shit.

If you feel you need to shelter in place and eat rice and beans to protect you and yours, then do it.

If you are unprepared for this, then I am sorry. People on this forum have been talking for years about cleaning their rifles, prepping (not crazy, but having a couple of weeks work of supplies), watching and learning what has happened with numerous recent natural disasters, etc.

Please stop with the panic.

Most of us will get through this just fine as long as we keep our heads about us.

With respect...

The "Boz"

Posts: 1535 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I’m being told that around here local cops have elected to not enforce an UnConstitutional bar and restaurant ban.

Molon Let eat!

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

That’s great to hear.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3988 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why would it be fun? I am here in Ohio where the same thing is happening, and it is terrifying.

"Terrifying?" Get a grip, man. It's concerning, sure. But should hardly be "terrifying."

I've got an asthmatic son who, if he gets it, well, I don't want to put that down in writing.

I've an asthmatic wife with a weak immune system, who is deathly allergic to many common medications and most antibiotics.

quote:
I also know I can't get meat and some other staples at the grocery store. I've tried.

Unless you're hurting for staples, right now, my suspicion is the mindless panic that's causing everybody to buy up everything in sight will soon subside and you'll be able to acquire those things. Of course ICBW.

quote:
I also know that medication supplies are about to be interrupted because so many come from China.

See above.

quote:
I know a lot of my friends and family who are over 60, or have pre-existing lung and heart conditions, will have a significant chance of dying when (not if) they get it.

Don't we all? Hell, I'm at least marginally in said group, being nearly 70 years old, an ex-smoker, and recently diagnosed with mild coronary artery disease.

quote:
Yes, that's terrifying to me. Maybe not to you, but to me, it is.

"Terrified," to me, means "A quivering lump of Jello frozen in a corner, able to do little more than babble incoherently." If you're still able to form a coherent sentence, still able to type on a keyboard, you're probably very concerned or worried. You're probably not, literally, terrified.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to get key items with having little children like baby wipes and powder, etc

Placed an order via Amazon Prime and got some but now seeing that even Amazon is having supply chain issues between the panic ordering and China supply chain being cut off.

The next few months are going to be fun. Confused

My pregnant wife has been pretty stoic so far but is now starting to get uneasy about the empty shelves everywhere and stores now restricting hours which is NOT a good sign. She said "I don't have any meat!" - I opened up the freezer and said "what? We can't fit anything else in here because it's FULL of venison!"

She also said she was having a hard time finding bread anywhere and I said "Did you forget you married an ex-baker and pasty chef?"

I had her get flour and yeast and oil on her last run which luckily hasn't been stripped bare yet and told her we will make our own bread if it comes down to that. Hell, I might be planting a big vegetable garden in the back yard this year at the current rate! My COVID-19 Victory Garden!

Posts: 34110 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
quote:
Some of y'all are panicking as badly about the economic impact as others are about the virus, itself.

The economic damage from this panic will be far worse than the virus.

Mark my words. No panic, just facts.

And as a consequence, is anyone even talking about the likelihood of a spike in suicide rates? And after we finally started to see a real drop in those rates after the terrible Obama years.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30589 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
TAllen01...

I think RHINO was speaking about watching the liberal utopia fucks having to deal with the real world and that their communist utopia is all fantasy.

I am also in Ohio (hell, we may even be close).

Take a deep breath and chill man...

I probably live a little north of you. I am not panicked. I have a small retail tire business. Several employees rely on this place for their living. If people stop driving they stop buying tires. I have a couple residential rentals. When tenants don't have jobs they have trouble making rent. I also own one commercial rental property. Guess what, it's a restaurant. It's a pizza place so delivery and carry out will probably save him. The point is that while I am not panicked, I'm a long way from chill.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5696 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And as a consequence, is anyone even talking about the likelihood of a spike in suicide rates? And after we finally started to see a real drop in those rates after the terrible Obama years.
Man, you've got to cool it. Now you're going out and dreaming up bad shit to happen.

Snap out of it

Posts: 108174 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you are unprepared for this, then I am sorry. People on this forum have been talking for years about cleaning their rifles, prepping (not crazy, but having a couple of weeks work of supplies), watching and leaning what has happened with numerous recent natural disasters, etc.

This ^^^^^

I don't mean to attack TAllen01, and I'm not. But, generally speaking, we all should have learned from The Millennium Bug to engage in a bit of on-going preparedness.

I suspect what happened was the IT industry and PHBs got enough advance warning, and took it seriously enough, that the vast majority of systems that would have otherwise been paralyzed were fixed in advance. The little that was missed was hardly a drop in the bucket.

The unfortunate lesson most people took from this was "It was no big deal. Just the Usual Suspects freaking out and over-hyping everything, as usual." So everybody let their guard back down.

I'm not bragging, just pointing out that, as soon as I saw how this was developing in the early stages I told my wife "I have a bad feeling about this. We should prep like we did for Y2K." She agreed and we did. A good two-three weeks before it even started dominating the "news," much less became a problem here.

Had we not done that, been caught with our pants down, I'd be quite concerned right about now, and more than a little annoyed with myself. But I wouldn't be terrified. Or even panicking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post