SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2)
Page 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 ... 1211
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When will the coronavirus arrive in the US? (Disease: COVID-19; Virus: SARS-CoV-2) Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

Overall population isn't really relevant to disease spread unless a significant percentage...

If the outbreak in the US was limited to a certain geographic area, I might be inclined to agree with you. Since the outbreak is nationwide, then I think total population and population density plays a major role.

Posts: 8651 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:

Now everyone in Cali likes guns. Assholes.

Have fun fighting off the hoards with your 5-round shotty.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6861 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
He specified the need for companies that make ventilators, surgical masks, and hand sanitizers to be taken over and made to work around the clock.

When they are taken (by force = theft) who is going to run them? Government employees?
Cronies of politicians?
That's what Cuba did. That's what Venezuela did. Now they sit on an ocean of oil and don't have the ability to produce and refine it.
nationalization = destruction

If it saves one life. If the hystericals are willing to flush the US economy, do you think they care about private property Rights?

I have a friend that is a small business owner. He is about one more over reaction by the government away from being done. And he’s good with it. He’s bought into the government saving him from a disease that he and likely everyone he knows will recover from anyways. He’s a grown man and should be able to flush his livelihood if he wants.

But, it’s his employees that he is willing to sacrifice that bothers me. He seems not to give two shits about them. Everybody seems so willing to do whatever it takes to fight for the lives of those who might theoretically be afflicted, but they ignore horseshit like this. Or their answer is the government needs to come to the rescue.

I especially liked the post yesterday where it was stated a giant “reset” needed to happen like the dates never happened. Don’t you think that lenders have bills to pay too? And those bills are the small business owners who already being crushed by government intrusion. I’m seriously starting to think that many really don’t understand economics or how it works.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37132 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Is he so ignorant to think that these privately owned corporations are not interested in ramping up production (and sales) of their much needed products?

I agree with the thesis, that the left just can't let a good crisis go to waste in their lust to take over our society.

Posts: 13696 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
Prepared position for the shit-pocolypse...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The French president is supposed to address his nation this evening. Everyone there expects that he will order everyone to stay in his or her homes. My in laws sent us pictures of the lines outside the supermarkets in anticipation of that. Nuts.

Yeah, these are all rational actions. Roll Eyes What should be happening is that the elderly and those vulnerable to a cold like the Wuhan should be self isolating and practicing social distancing. Not the whole damn planet!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Focusing on “average” population density is like the old story about the statistician who has one foot in ice water and the other in boiling water: “On average, I’m comfortable.”

As is frequently true of other issues, people without personal experience with the western U.S. may not realize how much things like population density are affected by the large swaths of land on which no one lives and therefore the population per square mile is zero. My small county covers 384 square miles and has a population of about 7800 people; the average, therefore, is about 20 per square mile. That overall “average” for the county, however, ignores the fact that no one lives on the mountainsides or other large areas of Forest Service land. The population density in our one real town is about the same as it would be in similar towns anywhere across America.

In fact, because of its history as a boom/bust mining town, in many neighborhoods lots and houses are so close together it’s literally possible to stand between two houses and touch both with one’s outstretched hands. The population density of our town itself (that has some fairly large open areas) is about 2500 per square mile. That is far less than the density of urban areas, but far more than the average for the county.

Averages don’t always tell the tale.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47466 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Yeah, these are all rational actions. Roll Eyes What should be happening is that the elderly and those vulnerable to a cold like the Wuhan should be self isolating and practicing social distancing. Not the whole damn planet!

I'm flabbergasted by people's selfish attitudes. As person who could be affected more than most, with parents that are in the worst bracket, I wouldn't demand anybody else modify their behavior outside of my home for my benefit. This is the crap the race baiters, LGTABC, gun control proponents, etc. pull.

You, Oddball, jljones, Rhino, I can't find anything you folks have said that I disagree with. Thank you, Doc H for your reasoned and informed opinions. Thanks maladat for the boobie graphs, although I prefer something in between the flat one and the really tall one. And Para, as always you are a beacon of clarity.

Posts: 11166 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
And not to be outdone, the asshole Governor in New Jersey, Murphy, just announced a curfew between 8pm and 5am. My God.

Here we go. The totalitarians are loving this crap.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30557 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
When DeBlazio opens DaPieHole, I know we should pretty much do the opposite of what he is saying.

Nationalize medical companies / factories? Because the federal government is soooooo efficient and has so much experience running them???

Fucking facsist moron.

Maybe we should nationalize the NYC mayors office and then shut it down.

Posts: 6954 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
CDC has called for an EIGHT WEEK hiatus on gatherings of more than 50 people.

Foxnews is the source

Exactly how will you make this work in our modern massive grocery stores?

I've been in my local Wegman's at 0600 and 2300 and there were way more than 50 shoppers in the store, plus an unknown number of staff, but there too I'd guess more than 50.

< top men my ass >

I may start carrying my SIG P556xi pistol.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31554 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Michigan just pulled the plug on all restaurants and bars.

Interesting but long read on the decline of COVID spread.

https://m.calcalistech.com/Article.aspx?guid=3800632

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38052 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Just saw on FoxNews that they are looking into harvesting antibodies from people who have recovered from COVID-19 to give to front-line health care workers to help protect them and also as a possible treatment for patients. That sounds logical and interesting. I'm sure it would be a very slow process, though.

Posts: 2341 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
CDC has called for an EIGHT WEEK hiatus on gatherings of more than 50 people.

I think it is about time for the CDC, Dr. Fauci and others to cede some of their TV time to economists, sociologists and others who can now explain how the economy is going to falter, how social order is going to break down, etc.

Posts: 2322 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Michigan just pulled the plug on all restaurants and bars.

Interesting but long read on the decline of COVID spread.

https://m.calcalistech.com/Article.aspx?guid=3800632

The article overall presents Levitt's remarks as a positive message that things are getting better all by themselves now, but the interpretation seems misleading if you read what Levitt actually said.

The only actual statistics Levitt references in this article and others I have seen on Levitt's work are about China and the Diamond Princess.

The subtitle:

quote:

Nobel laureate and Stanford professor Michael Levitt unexpectedly became a reassuring figure in China at the peak of the coronavirus pandemic. Now he assures Israelis: statistics show the virus is on a downturn

In the article:

quote:

Israel currently does not have enough cases to provide the data needed to make estimates, Levitt said, but from what he can tell, the Ministry of Health is dealing with the pandemic in a correct, positive way. “The more severe the defensive measures taken, the more they will buy time to prepare for needed treatment and develop a vaccine.”

Then there's this little gem:

quote:
China did great work and managed to gain complete control of the virus, Levitt said. “Currently, I am most worried about the U.S. It must isolate as many people as possible to buy time for preparations. Otherwise, it can end up in a situation where 20,000 infected people will descend on the nearest hospital at the same time and the healthcare system will collapse.”

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
KYs idiot governor closing all bars and eateries.

Won’t be outdone by the other commies. I mean, China is a champion of hunan Rights and did such great work fighting the virus you are going to likely survive anyway and whatnot.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37132 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Just saw on FoxNews that they are looking into harvesting antibodies from people who have recovered from COVID-19 to give to front-line health care workers to help protect them and also as a possible treatment for patients. That sounds logical and interesting. I'm sure it would be a very slow process, though.

Isn't that how vaccines started out in the 19th century?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11005 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

DARPA has been working on that for over a month, theoretical shield to buy time for a vaccine or antiviral.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

Guaranteed Cure!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24268 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Does this constitute Bio/economic warfare by the Chinese? They let it propagate around the world crippling everything and they are suddenly on the back end of the crisis.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38052 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post