SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Nice Rolex rOgue. Did you find it locally? I agree they are kinda undervalued, but sweet watches. I originally wanted that model until I saw the BLNR. Then I had to have one of those. I love my Sub a lot. I wear it the most. I like the clean face without the date.

I agree the glide lock clasp is a keeper. I appreciate the quick micro adjustments.

If they didn’t cost so dang much I’ve have 3 or 4 more!

Beautiful Rolies coloradohunter44!!! Did you just acquire the "Batman"? People are going crazy trying to find those now that the model has been discontinued (the new BLDR features a "Jubilee" bracelet and new movement). Enjoy yours!!!

I bought the BLNR before they went insane on the prices. I'm sure if times get tough I can make a tidy sum, but for now I shall keep it and enjoy wearing it. I like the colors, some do not. I did steal my glide lock bracelet off my Sub and put it on the BLNR. I then dropped my Sub off at Rolex in Dallas with a rubber b strap and had them replace the bracelet with a new one from Rolex. Not cheap, but what I really wanted. Thx.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I visited a local jewelry store to pick up something for my wife and I walked away with this neat watch at a great deal. This Kinetic Seiko Dive watch is sort of a hybrid between quartz and automatic watches. It feels similar to an automatic with its rotor that spins and charges a capacitor/battery which powers the quartz movement.

The accuracy, being a quartz movement is a bit better than Seiko automatics in the same price range that I am used to. I set it sometime last week and when I checked it today it was running around 1 second fast from atomic time.

The only drawback is the weight. It is a VERY HEAVY watch. It is also on the large side but I’ve gotten used to it pretty quickly. With a good Nato strap it looks and feels great on the wrist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21078 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Case press recommendations?

For those of you who regularly take apart your watches for various reasons, do you use a case press for reinstalling the case back? What model do you use/recommend? I've searched Esslinger and Otto Frei, and find they range in price from ~$20 to over $1000.

I would need dies to handle up to a 42mm case, with the crystal being only 35mm. For me, this would be for very occasional use replacing batteries in quartz watches.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I bought this cheap one off of Amazon. I have only used it three times, works great. I only do battery changes on mine and the wife's watches

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone on the forum own a Fortis B-42 Cosmonauts Chronograph?

Posts: 1546 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Time to get one in time for the 50th Apollo 11 anniversary!
Or even better an Omega Speedmaster 50th!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Put my deposit down on an Omega Speedmaster 50th. Smile

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

AWESOME! Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:

WOW! That's the new one with gold elements?

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Yes that is the one.

I'll find out in July sometime if I'm actually getting it and which serial number it is.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I visited a local jewelry store to pick up something for my wife and I walked away with this neat watch at a great deal. This Kinetic Seiko Dive watch is sort of a hybrid between quartz and automatic watches. It feels similar to an automatic with its rotor that spins and charges a capacitor/battery which powers the quartz movement.

The accuracy, being a quartz movement is a bit better than Seiko automatics in the same price range that I am used to. I set it sometime last week and when I checked it today it was running around 1 second fast from atomic time.

The only drawback is the weight. It is a VERY HEAVY watch. It is also on the large side but I’ve gotten used to it pretty quickly. With a good Nato strap it looks and feels great on the wrist.

i got the all stainless steel version one today love the watch been wanting one for a long time

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

New watch, and a crappy cell phone pic, I know.

After seeing at-home-daddy's pic 2 months ago of the new Certina DS-8 HAQ watch, I felt it was time to spend a little of my tax return (j/k jhe888, tax refund). The blue dial version comes with a metal bracelet, which I don't care for, so I replaced it with a Buffalo hide strap from Euro Watch Straps. I am a big fan of the HAQ quartzes. My Seiko Dolce has kept time within 1 second for over two years now. The additional complications on the Certina make it a very attractive watch, IMO.

The pins are internally drilled only. What a pain to remove the metal bracelet. It's a lot easier to deal with them with a strap.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: henryaz,

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Just picked up this Squale 1521 limited edition for my BeachWatch2019.

Secretly I'm hoping nobody realizes this is an LE from a YouTuber! But I can't argue with the design choices he's made. They definitely appeal to me. If this were an LE from Hodinkee, I think it'd be resoundingly embraced. He's deleted the date, added a dark red bezel and used a unique grey/blue color for the radiant dial.

I swapped out the strap for a C&B Supreme NATO and I'm ready for the waves.

Can anyone help me come up with a made-up, B.S. explanation for what TGV stands for?! Smile You know!, something along the lines of a COMEX Submariner, but for Squale? HAHA! "Taucher" is German for diver! Are there any German words for nautical or ocean, dive terms that could be subbed in for G an V?!

Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Close call this week. Either the lever set is broken or a screw is loose. There are only 5 or 6 of these watches known to exist. 1/2 don't have the correct crown, with the extension removed and a shorter stem and crown fitted. The search for a new set lever begins, the stem and crown are irreplacable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
YIKES!

The Constable
posted Hide Post
Unaware of this thread! And I have been here for many years.

Need to post a few pics. Have a good weekend everyone.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Unaware of this thread! And I have been here for many years. ...Need to post a few pics.

Welcome to the horology side of the forum.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Close call this week. Either the lever set is broken or a screw is loose. There are only 5 or 6 of these watches known to exist. 1/2 don't have the correct crown, with the extension removed and a shorter stem and crown fitted. The search for a new set lever begins, the stem and crown are irreplacable.

Are you comfortable opening the case to work on the movement? It's possible that the set lever screw only needs to be tightened. However, given the age, it's likely that the setting lever is either broken or the tiny retention "nub" is work out.

Good luck finding what you need. Good resources for part on the web.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you comfortable opening the case to work on the movement? It's possible that the set lever screw only needs to be tightened. However, given the age, it's likely that the setting lever is either broken or the tiny retention "nub" is work out.

Good luck finding what you need. Good resources for part on the web.

RMD

I'm all thumbs. My watch guy lives close, letting him do it. It's due a service anyway. Already have feelers out for the part. Thanks for the info.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
Unaware of this thread! And I have been here for many years. ...Need to post a few pics.

Welcome to the horology side of the forum.

STAY AWAY!!!!
Much like the "You will buy a Glock" thread, this one is going to cost you some $! Wink

I've already got my eye on a few if I can't get my old Citizen Divemaster up and running.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post