SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:

Got my first Alpina last year, the Seastrong 300. There was a deal running on red bezels so I jumped but now sort of wishing I’d gotten a black or grey bezel. Would love to figure out how to do that without paying for an entire watch. The Alpiner 4 is very clean and appealing. Would also like one of those.

Congrats on your first Alpina. Generally speaking, Alpina doesn't seem to get as much love as I think they should, but then again I don't pretend to know enough about movements, etc. to speak to why they should or shouldn't...I just know that more often than not I really like their designs (that Alpiner 4, for example, among others) and have been very pleased with the performance and accuracy of the two examples I own...Alpina's style seems clean but not sparse, classic but not stuffy, and that's a fine balancing act which can be tough to find among Swiss makers at that lower price point.

That said, Hamilton is another Swiss brand with a similar price point and design sense that has some attractive watches...their Jazzmaster chrono automatic has caught my eye much than (much more than) once:

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Alpina uses some in-house movements, some Valjoux, Stellita, and ETA movements.

Solid Swiss watches, whatever movement is in them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Dig my new way of mocking up strap options! Here's how I did it. I took the photos of the strap, scaled them on my computer to 19mm, and then overlaid the watch head right on top of the screen to get the look. Then I photographed with my phone.

I mocked up many options, but these were my final three. I selected the brown side-stitched chromexel.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
That said, Hamilton is another Swiss brand with a similar price point and design sense that has some attractive watches

I do like the Hamilton line, too. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago I bought my first automatic (a Tag Carerra) and two years ago, I jumped the shark and bought a 2001 Rolex Submariner (Date). I loved the blue face of the Carerra, but I don't think I've worn it once since the Sub came into my life. Today, I let them both go in order to buy a watch that's been tempting me since I first saw one. No! Tiger's choice and come back had nothing to do with it!!! Rolex "James Cameron" Deepsea Sea-Dweller:

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Ten years ago I bought my first automatic (a Tag Carerra) and two years ago, I jumped the shark and bought a 2001 Rolex Submariner (Date). I loved the blue face of the Carerra, but I don't think I've worn it once since the Sub came into my life. Today, I let them both go in order to buy a watch that's been tempting me since I first saw one. No! Tiger's choice and come back had nothing to do with it!!! Rolex "James Cameron" Deepsea Sea-Dweller

Congrats! Looks great.

Michael

Posts: 1099 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
That Rolex is absolutely " STUNNING ".

Posts: 2873 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Rolex pullicords. I’m wearing the slightly smaller brother to that right now, the 43mm Sea Dweller 126600, although I still kept my Submariner. A James Cameron is on my list too though. Wear it in good health. Is it the 116660 or the 126660 with the new movement? Happy Easter!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I just ordered this Ball Skindiver first edition today.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
Beautiful Rolex pullicords. I’m wearing the slightly smaller brother to that right now, the 43mm Sea Dweller 126600, although I still kept my Submariner. A James Cameron is on my list too though. Wear it in good health. Is it the 116660 or the 126660 with the new movement? Happy Easter!

Thanks! It's the 126660 with the new movement! in addition to the increased power reserve (70 hours now), there's a few changes to the case/bracelet and font that I like too. I'm really happy with this watch!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I just ordered this Ball Skindiver first edition today.

Beautiful watch Mars! Congrats!!!

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
Ten years ago I bought my first automatic (a Tag Carerra) and two years ago, I jumped the shark and bought a 2001 Rolex Submariner (Date). I loved the blue face of the Carerra, but I don't think I've worn it once since the Sub came into my life. Today, I let them both go in order to buy a watch that's been tempting me since I first saw one. No! Tiger's choice and come back had nothing to do with it!!! Rolex "James Cameron" Deepsea Sea-Dweller:

Beautiful watch. Love the color mix. Just too big for my skinny wrist.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I love the Deep Sea.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34106 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Certainly no where near as nice as what y’all are posting up but I love this watch. A vintage 6309 movement in a very unique case. This is quite different from the divers I’ve been hooked on lately. The dial is reflective like the Seiko PADI dive watches. Cool

It is so comfortable.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I love the DeepSea, great looking watch and doesn't wear as big as you think it does.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Certainly no where near as nice as what y’all are posting up but I love this watch. A vintage 6309 movement in a very unique case. This is quite different from the divers I’ve been hooked on lately. The dial is reflective like the Seiko PADI dive watches. Cool

It is so comfortable.

It's called a TV dial.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39744 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
The Ball arrived today. It's MUCH heavier than I thought. Nothing like my Omega.

It came with the Ball rubber dive strap and I modified a Seiko oyster bracelet for it. I have a shark mesh on the way, but I think I will rotate what is on it.

I didn't realize it had a tritium illuminated sapphire bezel. This thing glows like a nuclear meltdown.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks: I didn't realize it had a tritium illuminated sapphire bezel.

It doesn't. The new Ball Skindiver Heritage does, and can be quickly recognized by the curved bezel insert with "windows" through which the tritium gas tubes shine, and by the lack of markings at every minute.

See: https://shop.ballwatch.ch/en/sh

Yours has applied luminous markings on a ceramic bezel, if I'm not mistaken.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

It is so comfortable.

It's called a TV dial.

First thing that came to mind was the old tube television screen.

Interesting find, stickman!

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Mars, that's very nice! The photo taken from the side is neat. Interesting to see how all the design lines interact.

The detail on the second hand is amazing.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post