SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I could totally see the 70's becoming "in" one day soon and stuff like that TV dial taking off in value.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
I could totally see the 70's becoming "in" one day soon and stuff like that TV dial taking off in value.

It may be starting already. I see '70s era watches poppping up on some FB groups I follow.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I love this black modded 6309 with an English/Roman day wheel combo (my favorite). I like the very slightly lower 4 o’clock crown position over the modern turtle which has a slightly higher crown. It’s very subtle but I prefer the 6309.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I'm hunting Seiko mod sources now.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Stickman438, the warm tone of the lume is nice. The all-black is cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
rOgue, these guys built the blacked out 6309.

Build your own Seiko Mod I also configured a mod SKX0007 from Mad Mod World which you can also see in that thread. I’d buy another Mod from them in a heart beat. I’ve got my eye on a throw back JDM Seiko or two right now and they are $$$$$ for a Seiko....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21100 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
These two have been on my radar.

1968 reissue

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Nice Stickman. I just sold this one this week. It's on it's way to NC now!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I liked that one a lot, Rogue. Just not quite as much as Seiko liked it. Very handsome and clean.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I liked that one a lot, Rogue. Just not quite as much as Seiko liked it. Very handsome and clean.

It actually went up in value. I wore it for a few years and pocketed a couple hundred bucks. Not Rolex inflation but damn good for a new Rolex. The only thing that caused me to kick her loose was the 19mm lugs. Just paralyzes the choices for NATO straps to only the cheaper variants. The good stuff (seatbelt nylon weave) isn't made in 19mm.

I'm afraid my Laco may be next. A slight purge period.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

May I ask, which model is that?

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:

May I ask, which model is that?

SLA017 which was a re-edition of the 62MAS. Limited edition. Released at Basel two years ago.

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
There's something I don't understand about automatic movements.

Ahead of my question, I'll say this: I both love and am annoyed by automatics. They're mechanical wonders, and the engineer in me just loves to watch them work. The annoying part is having to set one each time I wear it (because I've rotated others in and the auto has run down).

Something I've noticed with the Seiko SNZF17 (Sea Urchin) is that it won't even stay running overnight. If I wear it through the work day and take it off when I get home, I'll find the next morning that it conked out sometime between midnight and 3am. This seems unusual in that the other automatics I have (one Hamilton, one inexpensive Seiko5) don't have any issue continuing to run until I pick them up again around 12 hours later.

Is this simply a function of this particular Seiko movement (7S36)? As a reference, I looked at a couple of current Prospex-series watches on Seiko's web site... the SRPB51K1, for instance, lists a 4R35 movement and claims a "duration" of 41 hours.

Am I interpreting things incorrectly? Are my expectations unusual? Am I simply doing something wrong? Am I making unfair comparisons? I don't want to come off as if I'm complaining -- I'm simply curious.

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That doesn’t seem normal. You might not be shaking it enough. I’ve had a few citizen and Seiko automatics conk out randomly and it’s usually a sign that their movement is messed up. I am a bit OCD about shaking my autos and making sure they are powered up and proper. Two minutes of vigorous shaking before bed and then again when I wake up plus a gym session has my Seiko watches all running a bit on the fast side. I do have one exception, a Seiko Samurai that runs slightly slow.

It’s almost unfair how accurate this beaten to hell Seiko 7002 runs. For what I paid it’s too damn accurate...
It’s neat how a few new bands come in the mail and suddenly a boring beaten to hell Seiko seems interesting again. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Something I've noticed with the Seiko SNZF17 (Sea Urchin) is that it won't even stay running overnight. If I wear it through the work day and take it off when I get home, I'll find the next morning that it conked out sometime between midnight and 3am.

When was the last time it was serviced? You may need a new mainspring, or you may just need to have the barrel (the part the mainspring resides in) cleaned and lubed with the special grease that allows the spring to slip if overtightened (so it doesn't break) but not slip prematurely, which would result in a short power reserve.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
When was the last time it was serviced? You may need a new mainspring, or you may just need to have the barrel (the part the mainspring resides in) cleaned and lubed with the special grease that allows the spring to slip if overtightened (so it doesn't break) but not slip prematurely, which would result in a short power reserve.

Gee, I'm not sure about its service history, if there is one. Do automatics typically need routine/preventive servicing? Clearly, I've got some more learning to do.

God bless America.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: Do automatics typically need routine/preventive servicing? Clearly, I've got some more learning to do.

Yes; just as your car needs a lube and oil change every 5,000 miles or so, an automatic (or non-automatic mechanical, for that matter) needs to be cleaned and re-lubricated every few years. That's something the sellers of watches aren't doing a very good job of educating buyers about, in my opinion, and I think the reason is that they fear potential customers would go to less-expensive quartz watches if they knew that every five years or so they'd need to shell out another hundred bucks or more for maintenance. It used to be common knowledge, and in our parents' and grandparents' day there were watchmakers in most jewelry stores and even many department stores. But the quartz revolution changed that, and by the time I went to watchmaking school there were only three major schools left in the USA. (I think that's still the case: my alma mater in Seattle, the Rolex Watch Technicum in Pennsylvania, and Paris Community College in Texas.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Brian, I had no idea. (Maybe this is another reason my granddad was so annoyed with his automatics!)

You've also answered my other question: do the quartz watches need routine service too? My Seiko chrono (the one you've worked on) has never been open for anything other than battery changes.

Cool

God bless America.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky: You've also answered my other question: do the quartz watches need routine service too?

Because the parts move more slowly (once per second or less) quartz watches can go longer between services, and for cost:benefit reasons it's usually going to be toss-and-replace except for high-end quartz watches.