SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
It takes months to see a difference of two or three seconds, and since there is only a second hand, that is the smallest increment you can observe.

6 weeks into my HAQ Seiko Dolce, and I am still within 1 second of UTC.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
OK, think I've got it! Using Postimage.org, here's my new Seiko 5 SRP241:
(snip)

Very cool. Cool

Thank you!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
It takes months to see a difference of two or three seconds, and since there is only a second hand, that is the smallest increment you can observe.

6 weeks into my HAQ Seiko Dolce, and I am still within 1 second of UTC.

You'll hit that +/-20 seconds easily. I am fascinated by that level of accuracy.

I check my GS at the changes from Daylight Savings to Standard time - on this last change, which is over five months, I saw a two (or three) second error. It is hard to be more precise than that with just a second hand to go by.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am fascinated by that level of accuracy.

Then you should build youself a GPS clock using your computer's built-in oscillator. It is not hard. Microsecond accuracy is easy, with a standard motherboard. Upgrade the crystal, and you can achieve nanosecond accuracy. Windows OS is only capable of about 1ms accuracy. You need a unix variant to get the nanosecond level.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
here's my new Seiko 5 SRP241:

Very nice! Congratulations on your purchase.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks! So far, I really like it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then you should build youself a GPS clock using your computer's built-in oscillator. It is not hard. Microsecond accuracy is easy, with a standard motherboard. Upgrade the crystal, and you can achieve nanosecond accuracy. Windows OS is only capable of about 1ms accuracy. You need a unix variant to get the nanosecond level.

Can you point me to a good thumbnail sketch about this? Thanks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Can you point me to a good thumbnail sketch about this? Thanks.

If you are good with old fashioned newsgroups, you can subscribe your rss reader to comp.protocols.time.ntp, which is the old newsgroup, supported by David L. Mills, the author/creator of NTP (since 1970). More recently, you might want to consider a more recent incarnation, like a Google group called https://groups.google.com/foru....protocols.time.ntp, They share the same info. With a unix system, a bit of understanding of unix, and a GPS receiver it is ridiculously easy to create your own atomic clock.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A plain old Orange Monster. This is the version just before the one they sell now. This is the one with the movement that hacks and can be wound by hand. A great watch, especially in light of the price. Decent accuracy, very usable waterproofness, and amazing lume. I got this one for under $200 on an Amazon special, but they are $300 all day long.

It's my way or the Highway
Picture of piedrarc
posted Hide Post
Sinn U1

Semper Fidelis

RIP 17843

Operation Specific Training

Bang, bang, Click

Posts: 4911 | Location: surrounded by liberals. | Registered: September 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
A plain old Orange Monster. This is the version just before the one they sell now. This is the one with the movement that hacks and can be wound by hand. A great watch, especially in light of the price. Decent accuracy, very usable waterproofness, and amazing lume. I got this one for under $200 on an Amazon special, but they are $300 all day long.

Very nice. I have a 1st Gen. Orange Monster that gets more wrist time than all of my other watches combined...accurate, versatile, and I love the color.

As I'm sure you know, the shark-style face of the 2nd Gen. above gave way to the current 3rd Gen, which harkens back largely to the 1st Gen. face (with a few small differences (i.e. loss of the small marker digits, loss of day indicator, and inclusion of a date cyclops)..but the new pricing of the 3rd Gen. w/ the new upgrade movement sure does away with the budget-minded appeal of the first couple of generations. A Monster for $500'ish just seems wrong.

If the folks/rumors on WUS are to be believed, apparently the Monster line is going away.

A couple months ago I picked up a Seiko SRP637, alternately called a Baby Tuna and a Tuna Monster, as it has the 1st Gen. Black Monster look in a stainless shroud. Love that watch.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I do like the dial of the 3d generation Monster (although I am not a fan of a cyclops). But I also like the shark tooth markers, and I wasn't going to buy a 3d gen when I have one already. Especially not when the new is $500. It is a better movement, but part of the charm was the low price/high function ratio.

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Well, this just happened...

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Cool

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice, Shnea. I like that dial color. Which size is that one?

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys! That's the Datejust II, so it's a 41mm.

I've wanted a blue dial for a while now, and I love the Datejust line, so I didn't need much more convincing than the discount the dealer offered since this model is being phased out in favor of the "Datejust 41."

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by piedrarc:
Sinn U1

Nice! I just got my U1 Professional on Wednesday. Need to get some pics as she is still in the box.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VANQUISH,

Posts: 814 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Sinn and Rolex. I used to have a Gen I black Monster as well.

I have this incoming ( the one on the left)

Florijn, a Dutch micro. PVD with a very unique dial and indices structure.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Rduckwor. How'd you find that manufacturer?

-ShneaSIG

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Very cool, Rduckwor. How'd you find that manufacturer?

Ha! I spend far too much to time on Watchuseek!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post