SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, I think that bezel insert is going to look damn good. Glycine made some decent bezel inserts but they scratch fairly easily. Your new insert certainly won’t have that issue.

I’ll be interested to see how well your adhesive dissolver works. I saw that video Mark from Long Island Watch posted and if it works as good as he says it does it is probably going to become my new go to method for bezel insert removal. I like that it doesn’t require you remove the bezel, on watches like Steinhart where you cannot just pry pff the bezel like it’s a Seiko this little trick should be quite helpful.

I have to warn those considering dipping their toe into the watch modification world....it is an expensive and highly addictive endeavor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21057 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stickman!
Our friend has the Ice Diver Turtle.

#JustSayin... Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13420 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This Seiko has a pretty cool back story. It was designed by a fan during a contest Seiko held where they encouraged people to build a Seiko mod. This one beat 48,000 other Seiko mods to win after receiving over 50% of the 16,000,000 total votes. It is now a production watch from Seiko. Cool

Link to article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21057 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
I like, it's definitely an improvement

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
P220 Smudge, I think that bezel insert is going to look damn good. Glycine made some decent bezel inserts but they scratch fairly easily. Your new insert certainly won’t have that issue.

I’ll be interested to see how well your adhesive dissolver works. I saw that video Mark from Long Island Watch posted and if it works as good as he says it does it is probably going to become my new go to method for bezel insert removal. I like that it doesn’t require you remove the bezel, on watches like Steinhart where you cannot just pry pff the bezel like it’s a Seiko this little trick should be quite helpful.

I have to warn those considering dipping their toe into the watch modification world....it is an expensive and highly addictive endeavor.

Thanks, guys, I’m looking forward to installing it. I like the stock bezel insert, but yes, being aluminum, it scratches easily. Sapphire won’t, and I’m a sucker for lume, so this should be a big improvement.

I’ll be sure and post some feedback on how the grip solvent works. It seems pretty simple and straightforward. A little added time to help avoiding scratching the bejesus out of the bezel and case is a decent trade off, to my mind. Figure I’ll soak it for 48 hours and see how I end up. Hopefully, the insert slides right out and I can clean up the residue with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. The part that honestly has me nervous is getting the new insert perfectly aligned. LCBI included two 3m adhesive rings, but I’m hoping I get it perfect in one shot.

Speaking of lume… I followed up with Bes Luga at Lum Tec, and the B45, B46, and B47 got finished up Friday and should be shipping Monday. I’m going to order a B47 from Long Island Watch as soon as they get them in stock.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, as the Aussies say, no worries mate. Getting the bezel insert properly aligned will likely be one of the easiest parts of your project. I was super nervous the first time I aligned one but it was pretty darn easy and hella satisfying to get it aligned better than it was from the factory. Cool you’ll do fine at that part.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stickman: Have you seen the Rowing Blazers?

Definitely not my style, but interesting nonetheless.

God bless America.

Posts: 13420 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
That second hand is gonna be great for the Seiko mod fans. One of those bezel inserts is kinda interesting.

While the rainbow color scheme isn’t exactly my fav it is an interesting watch for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Are any of you fellow watch nuts members at Watchuseek?

God bless America.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I did a little digging into this Rowing Blazers company and they certainly are unique. They seem to be trying to revive a classic style of clothing. Some of their stuff is interesting while others seem to be trying to revive the British red coat military uniform. I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone attempted such a bold stylistic move. Big Grin

I’m not sure I could match any of my current watches with it but this outfit seems pretty legit. I’d totally wear this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Are any of you fellow watch nuts members at Watchuseek?

Yes.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got something VERY SPECIAL from Sydney Australia today. I can’t believe how fast it got here! I’m still very much in the honeymoon phase but I gotta say I am LOVING this new Seiko Stargate II. The case shape, polishing and that bezel are all so neat! It’s also got one of my favorite dials.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Not a big fan of a cyclops on just about any watch, though.
Same with the 12:00 bit on the bezel.

Good thing about watches, there's something for everyone.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15148 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m with you on the cyclops. They suck, are ugly and don’t belong on a Seiko diver in my opinion. Thankfully it’s a problem that is easily corrected when/if I upgrade it to a sapphire crystal. I am probably going to keep this one stock. The slightly misaligned cyclops is annoying but for now I have too many mods and mod ideas ahead in the cue.

The English and Roman day wheel is pretty cool. Next to a English/Kanji wheel it’s one of my favorites.

The dial on this watch is spectacular. The chrome indices ghost out and vanish from some angles only to shine brilliantly when the light catches them. Part of the indices are angled towards the hands do it makes for a neat effect as light moves across the dial. I’m surprised this watch didn’t enjoy more success. I really like it.

The black and white hands are a pretty neat touch too.

As far as the bezel....it wouldn’t be known as the Seiko Stargate if it didn’t have that interesting bezel that pays homage to one of my favorite films. There are aftermarket options if I wanted to swap to a coin edge bezel but I’d never do that. I’m glad Seiko didn’t put the other raised parts on the bezel, it looks similar without being an obvious copy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vthoky:
Are any of you fellow watch nuts members at Watchuseek?[/QUOTE

Yes.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20301 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Stickman, what’s the model number on that Seiko? I think I finally found one I have to have.

Posts: 17050 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, the reference number is srp491k1. If you search “Seiko Stargate II” you can check out all the other color options. The black bezel version and even the black and gold version look good too. This was a heck of a lot more affordable than the Black Bay with a similar color way that was tempting me mightily. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I did some poking around and found model SKZ323K1. I like this.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There is an antique shop about an hour from me that had that exact model (full kit) for sale for $425 firm. My aunt sent me a pic of it and another interesting Seiko because she knows I love Seiko watches.

That’s a Gen 1 Stargate in one of the coolest colors it came in. I love the little bit of red on the crown and the second hand.

This is the pic she sent me. I was like next time call me I might buy one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Both of my Ice Seiko watches. Trouble getting pics to post .... links a bit easier. My photo skills = Terrible. John.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xi48AZH

https://i.imgur.com/gAMATPY.jpg

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got ya. Smile

And a close up of that gorgeous dial.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~