SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
AH-HA !!! Big Grin (good eye!) ... well, I just can't wear it that way ... I tried and tried. Just not natural to me. Kinda like when I was a baby and mama tried to make me right-handed ... wasn't gonna ever work.

I'm lefty and that's just not right to me. I even took off my Seiko to look at it, then the pic, then the Seiko....and shook my head.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
quote:
AH-HA !!! Big Grin (good eye!) ... well, I just can't wear it that way ... I tried and tried. Just not natural to me. Kinda like when I was a baby and mama tried to make me right-handed ... wasn't gonna ever work.

I'm lefty and that's just not right to me. I even took off my Seiko to look at it, then the pic, then the Seiko....and shook my head.

Big Grin ... i do wear watches on my left wrist but the strap HAS TO BE "upside down" LOL
EDIT:
Left Handed ... eat, write, shoot, kick left footed, tennis, catch, use scissors (upside down I guess, maybe backwards).
Right Handed ... throw, bat, open a can.
Stuff I can do with either hand ... dunno, sleep?
EDIT No.2 sorry: I even have to turn metal watch bands upside down / backwards when possible. The only watch I have with a metal band that I have to keep oriented "normally" is my Casio Lineage. It just doesn't sit right on my wrist when turned around. So I put the Lineage on a Marathon nylon strap LOL ... "upside down".

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

After two weeks, it is running about 2 seconds a day fast. That is very good for a mechanical watch. It has an ETA handwound movement. They come in four grades, and this one is next to the bottom grade, although I think it has a couple of other tweaks. It is very good accuracy.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin ... i do wear watches on my left wrist but the strap HAS TO BE "upside down" LOL
EDIT:
Left Handed ... eat, write, shoot, kick left footed, tennis, catch, use scissors (upside down I guess, maybe backwards).
Right Handed ... throw, bat, open a can.
Stuff I can do with either hand ... dunno, sleep?
EDIT No.2 sorry: I even have to turn metal watch bands upside down / backwards when possible. The only watch I have with a metal band that I have to keep oriented "normally" is my Casio Lineage. It just doesn't sit right on my wrist when turned around. So I put the Lineage on a Marathon nylon strap LOL ... "upside down".

Only thing I can do righty is kick a soccer ball - and that's only because I broke my left kneecap when I was 11. Everything else, I'm lefty. Including left-eye dominant.

Watches live on my right wrist except for the 6 months after I destroyed my right humerus. I just couldn't wear a watch because I never looked at my left wrist, so there was no point.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only thing I can do righty is kick a soccer ball - and that's only because I broke my left kneecap when I was 11. Everything else, I'm lefty. Including left-eye dominant.

Watches live on my right wrist except for the 6 months after I destroyed my right humerus. I just couldn't wear a watch because I never looked at my left wrist, so there was no point.

Interesting Leeann. What's weird is that I'm right eye dominant (most of the time).

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's weird is that I'm right eye dominant (most of the time).

That is not weird at all. My optometrist told me that only something like 20% of people - even lefties - are left-eye dominant.

I'm the weird one.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is not weird at all. My optometrist told me that only something like 20% of people - even lefties - are left-eye dominant.

I'm the weird one.

HA !!!... and i thought it was just me Wink ... mama messed me up for sure Smile LOL. Thanks Leeann

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Jhe, I love that Fleiger.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mars_Attacks,

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do wish it came with a Ronda 700 series movement.

Is it possible to swap the movement to the Ronda? They're pretty inexpensive.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Is it possible to swap the movement to the Ronda? They're pretty inexpensive.

RMD

Anything is possible. I found a thread about doing just that, on a watch forum. It was explained that it pretty much only required different little white spacer thingies. Forget the name of the dang things LOL.

At the end of the day, the gist of it was ... why bother. Accuracy would still be essentially the same. Gain would be in the battery EOL indicator (pause, 4sec jump) and battery life of up to 10 years. Just stick with the Ronda 515 and change the battery on a schedule.

OH ... and the prevailing opinion was that in modern quartz movements, the number of jewels makes little difference in the grand scheme of things. (Ronda 700 series: 15 jewel, Ronda 515: 1 jewel).

I guess it's all about what one would rather have and would feel comfortable with, maybe much more than anything to do with large performance differences.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Old school watch making:

https://gearpatrol.com/2014/01...tch-factory-1936/#10

Although, I think that higher-end mechanical watches are still made in much the same way with the addition of some CNC machining for some manufacturing operations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Old school watch making:

Interesting photographs, but the introduction got one thing wrong, I think: the manufactures, like artists' studios, had NORTH-facing windows. South-facing windows would have light that was too harsh, with strong shadows from direct sunlight. Northlight is soft and even.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Less talk, more watches!

Bought a Speedmaster from a friend and changed out the bracelet for the long band.

I like it.

That should be the correct picture!

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Love speedies!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
quote:
Old school watch making:

Interesting photographs, but the introduction got one thing wrong, I think: the manufactures, like artists' studios, had NORTH-facing windows. South-facing windows would have light that was too harsh, with strong shadows from direct sunlight. Northlight is soft and even.

Amazing how little things have changed even in this age of CNC machines and computers. Looking at pictures of the Swiss big three, watchmakers still work in much the same ways.

Great post thanks for sharing.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Less talk, more watches!

Bought a Speedmaster from a friend and changed out the bracelet for the long band.

I like it.

That should be the correct picture!

Beautiful.

RMD

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
Less talk, more watches!

Hesalite. As it should be! Congrats!

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Every watch collector should have a Speedy!

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
As a watch guy currently Speedy-less, I have to agree. I miss mine.

Posts: 11355 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Speedmaster either. I'd look for a vintage one. I don't have any interest in innovations on a Speedy. Give me a plastic crystal, handwinding, etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,