SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I don't have a Speedmaster either. I'd look for a vintage one. I don't have any interest in innovations on a Speedy. Give me a plastic crystal, handwinding, etc.

Yeah. That's where I'm torn. I'm CERTAIN that I want the standard plastic dome. The sapphire changes the look of the dial in a very detrimental way on these. Where I'm torn is old (with tritium) or new. New can be had on the grey market quite inexpensively (compared to other premium watch chronographs).

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
And then I watched "First Man", and SHIT I want a Speedy now!!!!!!

Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Too funny. I watched First Man about a week after I got my Speedy.

My reaction was....different. Smile

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
And I need an intervention. I have an Omega addiction.

My latest:

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by furlough:
And I need an intervention. I have an Omega addiction.

It could be worse: I have a coworker with an Invicta addiction.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Omega is a great value among top-tier watches.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Back to the Speedmaster love, here is mine.

The great story behind it was my Dad, now deceased, probably wanted an Omega. So using my Confirmation as an excuse, took me to the local jewelry store and we both picked out our respective Speedmasters.

I went with the moon watch. The box and receipt are buried in the basement so purely off of memory from 44 years ago, the brand-new cost was $200-$250 at Jaccards jewelry store.

Here she is:

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Looky what I got today! Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
Looky what I got today! Big Grin

very nice

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Two good ones, SC.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
The fella that had the 6139 thought it was roached as it "wouldn't wind or set the date". Big Grin

Well you PUSH the stem to set the date and you can only shake it to wind it.

It's a 1972.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
The fella that had the 6139 thought it was roached as it "wouldn't wind or set the date". Big Grin

Well you PUSH the stem to set the date and you can only shake it to wind it.

It's a 1972.

Big Grin

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
SC, you just had to one up me Smile

Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
SC, you just had to one up me Smile

Big Grin

Yep!

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I wish I could say that when I was ~14 years of age that I had the foresight to pick the moon watch as an "ageless beauty" that it is.

I picked it because it was the 1st watch worn on the moon. Boy did I get lucky!

By the way SC, a friend took a Q-tip and tooth paste and took the scratches out of the plastic crystal for me. It looks great versus what it previously looked like for a watch worn by a young kid that I once was.

Shaman
posted Hide Post
I've polished the hesalite before, I just wear it with a little character now.
It's a 1971. I feel is should look like a well loved tool. Smile

The 6139 looks better in person than in the iPhone photo. It has a little character too. Perfect.

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Understood! Smile

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Nice Pogue and Speedie.

I don't know why, but I wanted a Samurai.

I need another watch like I need a hole in my head. The leather NATO was the first thing to go!!

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
So when I was buying that Seamaster I was wearing my Speedy moon watch.

The guy in the Omega shop was wearing one as well and was excited about the 50th Anniversary edition coming out this year. No release date or prices but now there is one more that I will be lusting after.

Plato