SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Original Swiss Army Watch. It doesn't tell time ... but displays it remarkably well. Who the heck speaks Swiss anyway? The Volkswagen Beetle of watches. This "beetle" rides on a Hirsch Pure Rubber strap. What it should have come with IMO. Feeling Swiss-ish today.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs: Who the heck speaks Swiss anyway?

I don't know; I've never heard of a language called "Swiss." However I can tell you the predominant languages spoken in Switzerland, in order by number of native speakers: German, French, Italian, and Romansch.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by liner:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
The Omega turned out to be 18kt solid gold. BONUS DOUBLE SCORE!!!!!

It's getting a professional service, case polish and a new strap. The dial and hands will keep their well earned patina. I will proudly wear it.

Can`t wait to see it cleaned up!

Second that. What a score indeed!

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
It’s my understanding it a mashup of the languages as mentioned. To me it sounds more German-ish. When we were in Switzerland we visited Zurich, Bern, Interlaken, Lucerne, and the Rhine falls. Quite a lot speak English but we heard differing versions of Danke everywhere. I believe they write in German but I could be mistaken. I hope to go back and take my children one day. We visited the old Sig factory (now Swiss Arms). Next to we will hit Bahnhofstraße, B&T, and the B&T store, and maybe Fortis if we’re lucky.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
I don't know; I've never heard of a language called "Swiss." However I can tell you the predominant languages spoken in Switzerland, in order by number of native speakers: German, French, Italian, and Romansch.

Swiss German: Most people in Germany do not understand Swiss German. Therefore, when an interview with a Swiss German speaker is shown on German television, subtitles are required. Although Swiss German is the native language, from age 6, Swiss school students additionally learn Swiss Standard German at school and are thus capable of understanding, writing and speaking Standard German with varying abilities mainly based on the level of education. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_German

Call it what you will. Swiss German is a foreign language to most Germans.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
It’s my understanding it a mashup of the languages as mentioned. To me it sounds more German-ish.

It depends on where in Switzerland you are. In the west, people speak French; in the north and central, it's German, and in the south it's mostly Italian. (Romansch is spoken by fewer than 15% of the population in the southeast now, and fewer than 0.5% of the total Swiss population.)

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
That picture is huge. And as stated, most Germans don't understand Swiss German. It's a foreign language to them. ... got more maps?

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs: Call it what you will. Swiss German is a foreign language to most Germans.
Yep. It's similar to the Spanish in Mexico compared to the Spanish in Spain, or the Portuguese in Brazil compared to the Portuguese in Portugal.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
Yep. It's similar to the Spanish in Mexico compared to the Spanish in Spain, or the Portuguese in Brazil compared to the Portuguese in Portugal.

So maybe I should have said, "Who the heck speaks the Swiss German dialect anyway?" ... just for you Wink

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs: That picture is huge. ...got more maps?

Sorry, I thought it would resize for display. Here, try this on for size:

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
And please let me clarify. This is a black and white photo ... just been colorized. Great watch by the way. Thank you.

Original:

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
So maybe I should have said, "Who the heck speaks the Swiss German dialect anyway?" ... just for you Wink

Whole buncha people in the New York part of the Berkshires. My aunt (by marriage) is Swiss Catholic; most people in the area are. The Catholic Church still provides a priest to the local church that speaks Swiss German.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leeann:
Whole buncha people in the New York part of the Berkshires. My aunt (by marriage) is Swiss Catholic; most people in the area are. The Catholic Church still provides a priest to the local church that speaks Swiss German.

Cool Smile

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
What's with the upsides down strap?

quote:
Original Swiss Army Watch. It doesn't tell time ... but displays it remarkably well. Who the heck speaks Swiss anyway? The Volkswagen Beetle of watches. This "beetle" rides on a Hirsch Pure Rubber strap. What it should have come with IMO. Feeling Swiss-ish today.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:Original Swiss Army Watch.

I bought mine in 1990. I got the black bezel version. Still has the original strap. Mine has a dead battery (Don't wear quartz watches anymore).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Hirsch PURE Natural Rubber Watch Strap in BLACK
https://www.hirschstraps.com/c...rubber-hirsch-straps
The back side is slightly concave to allow air circulation so that unlike most cheap rubber straps, sweat doesn't accumulate between wrist and strap. One of the best designed and most comfortable straps I've ever worn.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
I bought mine in 1990. I got the black bezel version. Still has the original strap. Mine has a dead battery (Don't wear quartz watches anymore).

The original strap is 125mm/75mm. NO WAY I could wear that strap. HAD to come off for a smaller one. I don't usually wear quartz but made an exception for an icon. Not disappointed.

I do wish it came with a Ronda 700 series movement. 15 jewel and a low battery feature ... when low, pauses for 4 seconds and then advances. It comes with a Ronda 515 powertech. 1 jewel and no low battery feature. Good accuracy/timing though. Ronda says expected battery life in the 515 movement is 45 months (standard 371 battery). I'll just have to remember to replace the battery every 2-3 years. When not worn, pulling the stem out to stop the watch reduces battery drain by 70%, so that may lengthen time between changes a bit.

Original Swiss Army Watch movement: https://www.ronda.ch/en/moveme...ech-500/caliber/515/

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Wearing the Ancyent Marinere today. Riding on B&R Bands Navy Textured Calf Leather.

http://www.dfreemont.com/ancyent_marinere.htm

... my other watch was in the shop Wink (not my arm)

Picture of ScubaSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:

Hirsch PURE Natural Rubber Watch Strap in BLACK
https://www.hirschstraps.com/c...rubber-hirsch-straps
The back side is slightly concave to allow air circulation so that unlike most cheap rubber straps, sweat doesn't accumulate between wrist and strap. One of the best designed and most comfortable straps I've ever worn.

LOL I think he meant that the buckle side of the strap usually goes on the 12 side Wink

Posts: 723 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScubaSig:
LOL I think he meant that the buckle side of the strap usually goes on the 12 side Wink

AH-HA !!! Big Grin (good eye!) ... well, I just can't wear it that way ... I tried and tried. Just not natural to me. Kinda like when I was a baby and mama tried to make me right-handed ... wasn't gonna ever work.