SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
“Big” and “bold” are definitely the words that came to mind, looking at those Helms. Very nice.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Helm definitely has mastered the utilitarian aesthetic. They are well built tool watches.

I would go so far as to say Helm is one of THE best dive watches money can buy you right now. That is of course if you are lucky enough to be able to buy one from Helm and not have to deal with the inflated price on the used market.

I’m willing to bet Helm regulates their watches or sources regulated NH35 movements. It cannot be a coincidence that in regards to time keeping in my experience my two Helm watches out perform my vast Seiko collection which basically uses the same dang movement.

I have a ton of Seiko watches and only one has been as accurate out of the box as my two Helm watches.

Helm is quietly making one of the most compelling arguments against buying a new Seiko. Dollar for dollar and especially when you look at materials and build quality Helm is beating the absolute shit out of Seiko right now. This is coming from a pretty big fan of Seiko (they are my favorite watch company).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I am getting closer to the top of the Helm list, but not super-close.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
My lovely lady brought me a gift yesterday: Seiko SRPH11. Cool

(Apologies for the quickie cell phone pic.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Very cool VThoky! She might be a keeper. Cool

I would like to thank whoever it was that praised Christopher Ward previously in this enormous thread. Your comment got the wheels turning and increased the curiosity I already had for the brand.

What a cool brand they are! The look, the feel, the quality they ooze, the straps they offer that are made from up-cycled ocean plastic and oh by the way happen to be incredibly comfortable on the wrist...there is a lot to love.

Christopher Ward is a truly exciting and interesting micro brand. The closer I look at them the more I like them and the things they are doing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Very cool VThoky! She might be a keeper.

She definitely is!

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Christopher Ward

I'm liking the looks of that C63 Sealander.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I love the Christopher Wards. I currently have 4 and plan on picking up the Super Compressor next year.

If you are interested in the brand, they often run promotions for $125 off and every January and July they have a sale for 30-50% off on nearly new watches. They have a very generous return policy and they sell off these LNIB watches in these sales.

Here are some photos:

C60 Trident 600 in 42mm:

C60 Sapphire in 40mm:

C60 Trident Bronze 600 in 43mm:

C63 Sealander GMT in 39mm:

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
VERY nice collection of Christopher Ward watches Green Highlander!

I like that Christopher Ward draws inspiration from Omega and Rolex but still very much manages to do their own thing. Some of their earliest dive watches really skirted the line close to the older Omega Seamaster with that wavy dial and overall appearance.

These days however they seem to have drawn inspiration from a far more interesting source, the silhouette of an Aston Martin DB9.

A visual exploration of Christopher Ward’s light–catcher™ case

What has driven or influenced my collection of watches more than anything is case shape. I am fascinated with the various materials and design elements manufacturers utilize when they tackle the task of designing the shape of a watch case. This is followed VERY closely by a genuine fascination with watch movements.

In these two areas of focus (case shape & movements) when I look at Christopher Ward’s newest offerings I would say they are nothing short of spectacular.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I like those Wards. I've got a Trident Automatic and a Trident Vintage manual wind. Both are very nice and strike me as bargains at the price I paid.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think Christopher Ward definitely provides a damn good watch for the money.

My first impression of the brand had been incredibly positive.

This watch will never leave my collection. (And that’s not just because my name is engraved on the back) Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
Santa scored a limited run collaboration between Ares Watches and Triple Aught Design. This is the DIVER-1 GMT. The case back is more bronze than what the pictures show.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
For fun, I picked up one of the new Omega velcro straps, with the NASA "meatball", for my Moonwatch. It is, by far, the most comfortable strap I've ever worn.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pcshooter:
This is the DIVER-1 GMT

That is nice. Reminds me of a Sinn.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Tag is retired now.

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
That is a hell of a thick chunk-o-watch! Love the colors and design.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Thank you r0gue, I’m going to hope you were commenting to me.

Here’s the Helson Sharkdiver titanium next to my Tag. I use to think the Tag was a big watch.

I really can’t wait to wear the tintanuim bracelet with it. Unfortunately, even with the right tools I’ve been unable to get the link screws out. It also needs the bar in the pic put in the correct hole. There’s three and the rod is in the top hole on one-side and the middle hole on the other.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Underdog,

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:

Thank you r0gue, I’m going to hope you were commenting to me.

I was!
quote:
I really can’t wait to wear the titanium bracelet with it. Unfortunately, even with the right tools I’ve been unable to get the link screws out.

What's the problem? It would seem you could push it in through the hole with a pin and slide it up to the right hole.?? If screws are stuck, perhaps try putting it in VERY hot water for a while and that might soften thee locktite.

posted Hide Post
Correct- the screw(a) are not budging.

Thanks for the hot water tip, I will give it a try!

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Correct- the screw(a) are not budging.

Thanks for the hot water tip, I will give it a try!

Basically, boiling. Or close to it.