SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Damn Stickman, that Christopher Ward is NICE!
That finish almost looks titanium.

I understand why the others feel jealous

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s a sweet finish for sure. It’s got me wondering if a great watch purge might be on the horizon. I haven’t worn another watch since getting it.

Holy smokes. That video I made for this forum 2 days ago to show the C60 Abyss’s gunmetal DLC finish has over 4,000 views. Maybe I should consider making a watch channel. Hmmmm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Holy smokes. That video I made for this forum 2 days ago to show the C60 Abyss’s gunmetal DLC finish has over 4,000 views. Maybe I should consider making a watch channel. Hmmmm

Being totally honest- there's a million YouTube channels out there where people spout off with just enough knowledge to get themselves (and those that watch) into trouble...

Then there's the people that know what they're doing!
Stickman, you're building watches, modding them... reading your posts- you're articulate and you have a pretty vast knowledge about time pieces! (And for the few things you don't know- ya got US! The Sig Forum!!! Wink)
I say DO IT!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8338 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Abyss, Stickman. I know exactly what you mean about the indices catching the light. It is really stunning on my C60s and C63 Sealander. You now have me officially intrigued by the Abyss. Do you have any difficulty reading the time in lower light?

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
CPD SIG, Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. I suppose I’ll give it a try. Like that saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words so why not look at other ways I can share my love of watches. I certainly have a few unique Seiko mods that I’ve built. It should make for some fun videos. I don’t like the negativity on social media and find myself worrying about getting pulled back by the troll/negative comments on YouTube. I believe so long as I am honest and keep it upbeat and positive it should be fun. I’ll just go by a rule of not responding to anything that pisses me off. That will be a heck of a test. Smile

Green Highlander, Unfortunately yes, it’s not easy to read in very low light. Your concern is a valid one and is probably the only issue I can find with the watch other than the bi-directional bezel, which has taken some time to get used to.

Steinhart offers (or offered I should say) stealth watches with what I would guess is identical black lume paint. This lume will offer some illumination but it does not glow very bright for very long. If you’re used to Seiko’s lume you will find this lume to be disappointing.

To me it is not a deal breaker for two reasons. #1 if they used brighter lume it would probably ruin its stealthy, understated look and contrasting black, gunmetal and silver components which all compliment each other beautifully on this watch. #2 more often than not I can read it if there is any light to catch the hands, the lume doesn’t really help at all in low light.

There is a Steinhart ehh well three actually that have a DLC case and stealth aesthetic similar to the C60 Abyss. One of the Steinhart watches corrected all of the above concerns and it’s less expensive than the C60 while using the same movement and a few things I like more than the Abyss. There are also areas where the Abyss does things better than Steinhart.

I’ll post up a video comparison as it is an idea I was already considering and almost made yesterday. You bring up excellent concerns (which I had myself prior to purchasing) that would be a good video to make. Both Christopher Ward and Steinhart have aspects and features that I like more than the other so it would be neat to point them out and it would really make for an excellent comparison. Especially considering these are two of my favorites and get a ton of wrist time. One of them even went surfing and was the watch in the pic I posted that was covered in sand at the beach this past summer.

Thanks again for recommending the brand. It was your posts that encouraged me to try Christopher Ward and they are quickly becoming one of my favorite watch brands.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick,
Don't pay attention to the haters on social media.
Find some honest feedback and critique to make it better. Then it's nothing but "kicking ass and taking names".

Watch reviews
Company reviews
Building watches
Explain the pros and cons of different movements

Get a (scantily clad) supermodel or two to help... Hey! We need to see how that 36mm vs the 42mm is going to look on my wife's wrist! Wink

Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Anyone have experience ordering from PrestigeTime.com? They have a pretty decent price plus an extra 3% off on the Oris I want.

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Get a (scantily clad) supermodel or two to help... Hey! We need to see how that 36mm vs the 42mm is going to look on my wife's wrist! Wink

Your wife's a scantily clad supermodel?! Lucky you! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:

Your wife's a scantily clad supermodel?! Lucky you! Big Grin

Yup!
I lead a rough life! Wink

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This thread is pretty sleepy. This pic is pretty lousy. This watch is pretty.

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Damn that's a beauty!

I haven't been able to view many photos posted lately, but I'm glad I could see this one!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38673 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
r0gue never disappoints. The black/green makes a nice contrast.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
For comparison. My long ago, now long-gone five-digit LV.

women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
You're the man r0gue! All the pretties.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

They come and they go. For the most part, I've been spending the same money over-and-over again for decades! But while I've sold them, nearly all, I will always have them locked away in my Photos library!

Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
Came across this one recently, and couldn't pass it up...

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I like that Speedmaster. Very nice.

Pulled out the timegrapher and gave the Combat Sub another little tweak. It's been losing about a minute a week, even after the last time I messed with it when it was almost thirty seconds a day slow. Timegrapher said it was damn near dead on in six positions, and now six to seven seconds fast. Flying out to Boston tonight, and I'll be there a week. We'll see how it does. Bringing a selection of NATO straps just because.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:

They come and they go. For the most part, I've been spending the same money over-and-over again for decades! But while I've sold them, nearly all, I will always have them locked away in my Photos library!

As an owner of a 41mm green bezeled Submariner, what your thoughts on the nicknames? To me, Kermit doesn't fit due to the name being given to the 40mm aluminum bezeled model of the 2000s. I've heard Cermit, due to the ceramic bezel and I've heard Starbucks due to the color combination. Not sure I have a preference of the two, so it'll be interesting to see if either sticks or if something else will stick.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Haha! I honestly don't pay much attention to that stuff, but I suspect Cermit will probably stick, as it ties to the old one so well. By the time we are certain, this will be long gone, and I'll be playing with something else.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: r0gue,

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
On the cheaper end of the spectrum, I recall saying last year that if Marc at Long Island Watch made this one without the date window, but all the same specs, I would buy one. So I guess I’m buying one. I also just happen to have a whole bunch of 22mm straps.

https://longislandwatch.com/is...-pilot-watch-isl-48/

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post