SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm itching for a Gray Dawn. In fact, seeing pics of one of those, several years ago, is what attracted me to the Samurai to begin with. Now there are five in the box.

The Gray Dawn is out there, I just can't cough up the $750 or so it takes to get one.

And you're right -- orange makes a great summertime watch. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Oh, I'm itching for a Gray Dawn. In fact, seeing pics of one of those, several years ago, is what attracted me to the Samurai to begin with. Now there are five in the box.

The Gray Dawn is out there, I just can't cough up the $750 or so it takes to get one.

And you're right -- orange makes a great summertime watch. Cool

Awesome man!! Orange is one of my favorite colors for a watch dial especially during the summer. I’m so glad you’re enjoying that Samurai, it and the Blue Lagoon are my two favorite variants in the Samurai line.

This and the Christopher Ward with the orange sapphire dial been getting tons of wrist time this summer.

So much orange…. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Agree, orange is a great summer color, but this has been my summer watch the last couple of months.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38677 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've always really liked my orange Seiko SKX011J but sadly the 7S26 movement finally gave up the ghost after over 2 decades.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. The good news is a SKX's movement can be replaced fairly easily. Having a watch shop swap in a new NH36 movement would likely run you $150-$200, but there are guides and videos available for how to do it yourself if you're a bit handy, with the movement itself costing ~$40 plus about another ~$20 worth of tools.

(Or you can just get a new SRPD59 for ~$200, or less if used. I got mine lightly used for ~$120.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Or, ship it to Seiko-stickman with the parts & get a like new watch back Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Now you can upgrade it with a regulated NH36 and enjoy the addition of hacking! It’s not terrible news, that was a long run so we have to give credit when it is due.

Yes it sucks to have a movement die BUT Seiko movements are not expensive at all. Now you get to pick the second language to accompany English on the day wheel. My favs are Kanji, Roman numerals, German or Arabic. Smile

Shoot me an email if you have any questions. I’ll gladly help you get that gorgeous SKX011J up and running proper again. I have two of them myself, one is bone stock and the other is tastefully modded.

VThoky recently got to check out the SKX011J that I modded with a titanium case and crown while retaining all the other stock parts. It’s crazy light now. Cool That’s one of my favorite Seiko divers you have there. Don’t worry, it’s easy to fix and won’t be expensive at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Stickman... The Man. Cool

And yes, that Titanium build is crazy light. I'm tempted to look into a Ti case in the Samurai shape.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Someone probably makes them for the Samurai. I don’t recall ever seeing one on the aftermarket but I am heavily biased toward modding the SKX & Turtle so it easily could have flown under my radar. I’ll keep an eye out for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
In my old age I no longer have the hands to do anything about repairing the SKX011J.

The renowned local area watchmaker retired quite some time ago, so anything to be done would require sending it out somewhere.

The Seiko 5 Sports line doesn't appeal to me simply for the reduced water rating of 100M. I know...still....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I acquired my first Oris watch today. It's a limited edition (750 pieces) Big Crown ProPilot "TLP" (Tactical Leadership Programme) auto. Just the right size for me at 44mm, it's got a stainless steel case with DLC coating, good water resistance ("10 bar"), and a real nice looking dial. The "Tactical Leadership Programme" is a school for fighter and fighter-bomber pilots set up by NATO in 1978 to provide training on coordinated air to air and ground to air operations between participating nations.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10198 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bald1, shoot me an email. I can help you out. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Bald1, shoot me an email. I can help you out. Cool

Done

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Been rockin' the Helm titanium on an orange band lately.

Rotating it with my other Deep Blue diver.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
eTripper, That helm looks superb on the orange NATO. I don’t know why it never dawned on me to try that out.

That’s a very SKXy Deep Blue. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
The Seiko 5 Sports line doesn't appeal to me simply for the reduced water rating of 100M.

Do much ultra deep hydrox/trimix diving with your SKX lately? Big Grin

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The Seiko 5 sport is EASILY upgraded to a 200 or 300m WR with a simple case swap from Crystaltimes USA or Namoki mods. Cool

I was bummed out at first at the lower water rating but quickly realized for Seiko modders like myself they are throwing a ton of red meat our way to devour. Big Grin Nearly endless options and colorways to play with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Getting my orange itch scratched, Helm on the way

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Friends, I'm really enjoying this orange Samurai that stickman lent me. Cool

God bless America.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Friends, I'm really enjoying this orange Samurai that stickman lent me. Cool

Keep thee far from mine sight!

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post