SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Rolex ADs always sell for MSRP? If so, I never knew that.

If it's new merchandise, Rolex requires their authorized dealers to sell their watches at RRP. If the Rolex watches are used (ie: Trade-ins), they can sell those for whatever they want.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
And beyond that, many Rolex ADs have apparently adopted a policy of "We'll only sell new Rolexes to established customers" (sometimes most/all models, and sometimes just specific in-demand models). To the point where some have specific set amounts that a customer has to hit before they're considered "established" and the AD will consider selling to them.

As in, you walk in as a new customer looking for a less common Rolex Model XYZ. The Rolex AD tells you "You'll have to have spent $50k with us before we'll put you on the list for a Model XYZ". So you then have to buy a bunch of other watches that you don't really want over the subsequent months/years, just to get the privilege of them possibly selling you the watch you do want at full retail price, whenever they eventually have one available to sell to you.

That $16k Model XYZ ends up costing you $66k total.

Some folks think that adds to Rolex's "prestige" or "exclusivity". I just think that way of doing business is ridiculous.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Helm is one of the few micro brands that has acquired a similar following to Rolex in such a way that has created a situation where if you are lucky enough to buy a watch from Helm you can sell it used for more than you paid.

Because Helm (& Rolex) have people on the wait list those fortunate enough to be able to buy one can often sell their “used” watch for more than they paid. Helm has about 2-4K people in line for certain models. Eek But they do a lottery to keep things interesting.

It’s a bit aggravating but in the case of Helm I can say the wait was well worth it. Rolex basically IMO does the bare minimum as far as innovation and more or less relies on their brand recognition.

It’s one of the reasons I went with Omega over Rolex. The empty cases and hoops you jump through is one of the main reasons why I don’t have a Submariner in my humble watch collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
humble watch collection

You're too modest, stick.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

humble watch collection.

God bless America.

Posts: 13495 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
357Fuzz,

Thanks!! Smile It turned out better than I expected and has been getting a ton of wrist time.

Super thin and 39mm makes for the ideal watch size.

I was planning on flipping this watch but like an idiot I accidentally knocked it off my bathroom counter and onto a tile floor. Ouch.

One of the lugs took the brunt of the impact. So it’s been reluctantly admitted into the heavy rotation summer beater watch group and has been on my wrist 90% of the time with the occasional Seiko & Sinn 203 Ti & 206 getting occasional love.

I’ve already had to demagnetize the watch thanks to my son wanting to magnet fish. Demagnetizing it actually made it one of the most accurate autos in my collection.

Ouch!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Bummer, but a minor thing for an EDC piece. I'm fairly rough on some of mine, already put a decent scratch in the crystal of my CZ Smart Mad

I'm more cautious on the Monster, but it's had a few knows (without blemish, luckily).

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
And beyond that, many Rolex ADs have apparently adopted a policy of "We'll only sell new Rolexes to established customers" (sometimes most/all models, and sometimes just specific in-demand models). To the point where some have specific set amounts that a customer has to hit before they're considered "established" and the AD will consider selling to them.

As in, you walk in as a new customer looking for a less common Rolex Model XYZ. The Rolex AD tells you "You'll have to have spent $50k with us before we'll put you on the list for a Model XYZ". So you then have to buy a bunch of other watches that you don't really want over the subsequent months/years, just to get the privilege of them possibly selling you the watch you do want at full retail price, whenever they eventually have one available to sell to you.

That $16k Model XYZ ends up costing you $66k total.

Some folks think that adds to Rolex's "prestige" or "exclusivity". I just think that way of doing business is ridiculous.

I've dealt with quite a few authorized Rolex dealers (ADs) since I got into watch collecting, and though I've heard these things before, from experience I think much is simply urban legend. From personal incidents (I'm not a "high roller"), I think that with a few exceptions, it comes down to simply this:demand outstripping available supply. In my case with the Explorer II, someone else could/would have bought it IF the AD/SA wanted to sell it to them. In this case, I think they were actually serious about having it go to a real customer vs a "flipper" and I'm glad they did! Smile

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
It’s a bit aggravating but in the case of Helm I can say the wait was well worth it. Rolex basically IMO does the bare minimum as far as innovation and more or less relies on their brand recognition.

It’s one of the reasons I went with Omega over Rolex. The empty cases and hoops you jump through is one of the main reasons why I don’t have a Submariner in my humble watch collection.

Rolex has the name recognition and cache that sell more of their product than most of those (high value) competitors selling similar products. "Innovation"? A few of their most "innovative" new products (ie: certain "fun" colored dials) have been met with shall we say "mixed results", from their consumer base. Why mess with winning recipes? The latest movements and dials certainly provide advantages over older models in terms of resilience and power reserves, but I don't think you want a new Submariner that differs substantially from offered decades ago. There are Rolex enthusiasts that object to the up-sizing of the Explorer II and it's red (now orange) GMT hand, while personally the 42mm dial of the 216570/225670 versions hit my "sweet-spot", over the previous 40mm offering.

My personal advice to you stickman428 is to hang in there and keep trying to find your new Submariner or other Rolex (maybe a Sea-dweller 43?) at an AD vs the grey-market. Persistence does pay off and I'd love to see you fall into the new watch and "Rolex Experience" at an AD, it can and will happen if you're serious about finding one!

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Don’t get me wrong, there are a few Rolex models I adore. The funky Turn-O-Graph/ Thunderbird, the even funkier reissue, the green crystal Milgauss the GMT Masters from the 1980’s & Subs that were skinny and smaller than todays version all tempt me.

The models that tempt me most are unfortunately mostly out of production.

I could see myself owning a Rolex one day.

My Sinn 203 Ti Ar has shocked me with its nearly perfect looks and feel. I really don’t see my watch collection growing much. If anything I’ll probably continue to whittle down the collection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Rolex's refusal to increase production to, I presume, keep prices and exclusivity high is a turn off. Rolex could easily ramp up production. They are not a little mom and pop shop.

I got one when the sports models were just getting hard to lay your hands on, and before prices went through the roof. Mine is now worth a multiple of what I paid for it, and it wasn't that long ago. It is kind of silly.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
357Fuzz,

Thanks!! Smile It turned out better than I expected and has been getting a ton of wrist time.

Super thin and 39mm makes for the ideal watch size.

I was planning on flipping this watch but like an idiot I accidentally knocked it off my bathroom counter and onto a tile floor. Ouch.

One of the lugs took the brunt of the impact. So it’s been reluctantly admitted into the heavy rotation summer beater watch group and has been on my wrist 90% of the time with the occasional Seiko & Sinn 203 Ti & 206 getting occasional love.

I’ve already had to demagnetize the watch thanks to my son wanting to magnet fish. Demagnetizing it actually made it one of the most accurate autos in my collection.

Ouch!

A little battle damage gives it some character!!! I had a line on a nice used Steinhart w/ black and red opposed to your blue and red when it “vanished” from under me. I hope this doesn’t sound out of line but, I would buy that one from you in a heartbeat.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've been wanting a red/white/blue watch, and managed to snag a lightly used Islander ISL-19 for $170. (Basically an upgraded copy of the now-discontinued Seiko SKX009, just with a better movement, sapphire crystal, ceramic bezel, applied indices, brighter lume, and nicer bracelet.)

https://longislandwatch.com/is...c-dive-watch-isl-19/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice score Rogue.
I'm not a huge fan of the Pepsi bezel, but that looks nice.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Posted by 357Fuzz,
quote:
A little battle damage gives it some character!!! I had a line on a nice used Steinhart w/ black and red opposed to your blue and red when it “vanished” from under me. I hope this doesn’t sound out of line but, I would buy that one from you in a heartbeat.

Those red & black bezel inserts are sharp!! I almost went that route. I actually ordered an aluminum one because I prefer how it fades/patinas in the sun but I was upgraded to ceramic.

Not out of line at all, I got one of my grail motorcycles from a fellow member by making a similar post. If I ever decide to sell this Steinhart I’ll let you know first. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted by 357Fuzz,
quote:

Those red & black bezel inserts are sharp!! I almost went that route. I actually ordered an aluminum one because I prefer how it fades/patinas in the sun but I was upgraded to ceramic.

Not out of line at all, I got one of my grail motorcycles from a fellow member by making a similar post. If I ever decide to sell this Steinhart I’ll let you know first. Smile

Cool!!! Thank you!!!

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Rolex's refusal to increase production to, I presume, keep prices and exclusivity high is a turn off. Rolex could easily ramp up production. They are not a little mom and pop shop.

I got one when the sports models were just getting hard to lay your hands on, and before prices went through the roof. Mine is now worth a multiple of what I paid for it, and it wasn't that long ago. It is kind of silly.

Supposedly, Rolex has at least one more factory online to increase production, but who knows how long it will take before more watches become available. I don't think there's anything nefarious about their marketing and their RRP isn't particularly high in comparison to their competition. IMHO it's simply a matter of supply and demand. Rolex has the name recognition, cache, and reputation that earned them the #1 spot in sales volume. There's other high horology watches out there, but look at their production numbers and prices. Is anyone suggesting they increase quantity to lower prices? Nope.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Owing to having the ability and no adult supervision, I did this:

2003 vintage UN Maxi Marine Diver Blue Max LE.

300 m WR, sapphire case back, UN26 movement specially finished in blue titanium. Came with the optional deployant bracelet, did not come with the original blue rubber strap.
Almost got a version with the carbon burgundy dial @ 6 months ago, but the deal fell through.
The lume is outstanding, and I really like the styling. Being the first generation of these, it has a screw down crown, but no crown guards.

Found it in Japan, unfortunately the shipper used ups, so it got hopelessly fubar'd. ups charged me twice for import taxes, driver was difficult and would not acknowledge the paid receipt.

Oh well, I am already in touch with ups international to get a refund.

So, like the rest of you, the addiction continues.

I'm still wearing the Blancpain, but this is a nice change of pace.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Nice score! That Ulysee Nardin is something else, but man, the dial on the Blancpain is amazing. I know the Submariner is considered the classic diver, but for me, it's the Fifty Fathoms.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I swore I wouldn’t buy another watch until I sold about a dozen of what I already had… however Razz , out of nowhere, I get an email from Matt Helm telling me it’s my turn to buy a Helm Miyako watch. To be honest, I totally forgot about putting my name on the wait list, it must have been quite a while ago. At first, I wasn’t sure I wanted to exercise my option, seeing as I already have a number of Helms, but looking at how different the Miyako is from the others, I decided to go for it.

It is a departure from all the previous Helms, the case isn’t square and chunky with a brushed finish, but rounded and high polished. Both bezel and crystal are domed sapphire. And, the movement changed from the Seiko NH35 to the Miyota 9015. As usual, the quality and finish lives up to the Helm standard, which is excellent.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tooky13,

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1311 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post