SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly> Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Picked up the album this morning and listening to it while driving around for work. I'm liking the songs even more now that I can hear them on a proper stereo.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
Looks like they made a Metallica font - type in whatever and download the image;

http://metallica.alwaysdata.net/

Posts: 6030 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Halo on fire is amazing. Same basic structure as fade to black with a modern twist. The last line "Hello darkness, say goodbye" just drips with yummy awesomeness.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:

This song rocks too. Dudes(s) this is a TOTAL Load/Reload vibe and I LOVE IT.

They are back to making MUSIC and I am a HUGE fan.

They may be some old Matlock watching, Denny's Early Bird Special Eating Motherfuckers.... but THIS is good rock and roll music.

I don't care, I love it.

Thank god for good Metallica again.

I've got my buddy hooked on metal again, he texted me "new Metallica is just like in high school riding in your truck & blasting Load/Reload, except I'm more likely to remember what happened."

My only complaint is why do all the songs have to be 7minuts+? Most have a 1+ minute intro. ADD kicks in & I space out. I'll have to go through this album 10 times before I listen to every song. Same with new A7x (except there are other issues with that one).

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
For you Metallica "haters", here you go. A primarily negative review of the new album.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...20161118-column.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
They do Slayer wayyyyy better than Slayer ever did.
Way to breathe new fire into the thrash genre!

I grew up on both of them, and unfortunately don't follow them as closely as I use too. But I don't see the comparison between Slayer and Metallica. Of course any band who can survive ~30yrs with the same members, for the most part, deserves a lot of credit.

For the record, I actually enjoyed their last 2 albums. I liked the "dirty" sound of St. Anger, and Death Magnetic had some good songs.

I'm sure I will buy this album, just because I have bought every thing else they have made.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
For you Metallica "haters", here you go. A primarily negative review of the new album.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...20161118-column.html

As usual if the Tribune hates it, I love it. No surprise here. Those guys could fuck up a supermodel orgy.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
The last two were posted after I went to bed;

Spit Out The Bone

Lords of Summer

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zaZswCtNmEg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Spit out the Bone - Trying to hard to be metal. Another one I just dont get. Metallica is synonymous with "metal" I don't get why they feel they have to try so hard to be metal. Ok, you are trying to do speed metal and play power chords as fast as you can, doing the same drum notes with no rhythm just same drums as fast as you can and using just a pattern.... Kirk's solo is good though...

ETA, I wrote this as the song was playing, and the second half of the song is much stronger than the first. The video, is also totally Metallica. I actually like it better if i watch the video with it, as opposed to just listen to it. (I'm trying to just listen to the song, and ignore the videos until at least teh second or third listen.)

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Well, after listening to them all again, and the ones i liked a lot a few times, I'm gonna say this is easily their best album since S and M, or Garage Inc.

I don't like it as much a Load/Reload, or of course, ANY of their stuff before that, this is FAR superious to the previous 2 albums.

Odds are good, I'm actually going to go out and buy a CD. I don't think I have bought a CD since Death Magnetic. In fact, I'm certain of that. In the past 12 years I haven't bought a CD, just gotten my music off the internet and burned CD's.

I will buy this one despite my critique.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Random observation -

After listening to the new album for the eleventhty-billionth time, I would actually be excited if Metallica's upcoming tour was primarily tracks of new music.

How often can you say that about a band that has been around 30+ years?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think this album is among their finest.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I've listened to the new album only a half-dozen times. I like it. Probably my favorite album of theirs since AJFA.
Metallica lost me as a fan after the black album. I couldn't for the life of me get into any of their stuff since then. This album finally got me to listen again.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still digging the new album. Now that we're dead, Halo and Moth are probably my favorites. Now that we're dead is just so easy to head-bang to (OK, lets be real, more like head-bob to)

Like the little intro they are doing for Halo when playing live:

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I've noticed in recent years they have begun to refer to themselves as "Tallica.".

I do not approve.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I've been listening to this album since it came out and I can't get enough of it. I got the three disc edition, very happy with it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
..huh...

Was not expecting this. I don't know if I think they are all that similar though...

http://loudwire.com/metallica-...-metal-band-incubus]Metallica Issued Cease-And-Desist for Allegedly Ripping Off ’80s Metal Band Incubus

Metallica have reportedly been issued a cease-and-desist letter after being accused of plagiarism by ‘80s death metal band Incubus. According to Exclaim, a legal document states Metallica’s “Moth Into Flame” was lifted from Incubus’ “Hunger for Power” from the band’s 1988 album, Serpent Temptation.
Incubus changed their name to Opprobrium in 1999 after finding that the famous hard rock band Incubus had secured a copyright of the name. Opprobrium would release Discerning Forces via Nuclear Blast in 2000 followed by another full-length, Mandatory Evac, in 2008. Opprobrium unveiled a remastered version of Serpent Temptation, now under the Opprobrium name, in 2016.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
The band formally known as Incubus (now Opprobrium) has released a statement saying this letter is fake, and they did not authorize any such event.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/ne...-metal-band-incubus/

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I got tickets for their June 18th show at Soldier Field in Chicago with Avenged Sevenfold. Been a Metallica fan forever and decided I need to see them live before they get too old. Also looking forward to seeing Trujillo's crab walk in person, lol.

But I do agree with some of the comments here. Hetfield's voice has gotten bad over the years. It sounded great in the early 90's but he hit the bottle far too much since then. St. Anger sucked and this was around the time he was in rehab.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
The band formally known as Incubus (now Opprobrium) has released a statement saying this letter is fake, and they did not authorize any such event.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/ne...-metal-band-incubus/

Thanks for posting. Loud wire he is supposedly pretty reputable source, I never thought they would be passing along "fake news".

Sorry!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
I got tickets for their June 18th show at Soldier Field in Chicago with Avenged Sevenfold. Been a Metallica fan forever and decided I need to see them live before they get too old. Also looking forward to seeing Trujillo's crab walk in person, lol.

But I do agree with some of the comments here. Hetfield's voice has gotten bad over the years. It sounded great in the early 90's but he hit the bottle far too much since then. St. Anger sucked and this was around the time he was in rehab.

Yeah, I have tickets to the Baltimore show in about a month. I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping they don't disappoint. Looking forward to Avenege Sevenfold too.

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post