SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly> Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Huge fan... always have been.

BUt this one underwhelms me.

It is like they are TRYING too hard to be "garage metal" like they first started.

Metallica fans are some of the most self righteous, snobbish people on the planet. The original hipsters if you will. "I only like everything "the Black ALbum" and earlier" and the more "metal hipster" ones who say "well I only like Master of Puppets and earlier." Then you have the douchiest of metal hipsters who say they only like them when they practiced in a rented garage space and hadn't even played at the Whiskey A-go-go yet....

They are trying to cater too much to the metal douchbags who want to judge them for evolving as a band and making the "Load" and "Reload" albums, or playing with the symphony after that.

Ever since Metallica stopped trying to be themselves, right around St. Anger when they forced trying to go back to sounding like they did when they first came onto the scene, they became a cartoon...

I'll check the rest of the album out, but this screams of them trying to cater to the vision that their overweight, obnoxious fans who can't let the past go want.

(No offense intended to the the people in this thread, this is not directed at any of you.)

For the most part I agree with every word in your post, Kevin.

I'm a "everything pre-Master, sucks". With the caveat that I will admit to at least liking, and in some cases really liking some of the newer stuff.

For fans of Metallica's brand of music, you cannot blame them for being butt-hurt. The Black Album was rock, but metal?

Load and Reload? 27 songs between them and I'll tolerate Until it Sleeps, King Nothing, and Memory Remains. (Marylyn Faithful makes that song for me) Poor Jason Newsted, they made him cut his hair and put on makeup. No wonder he left!

St Anger...THIS was the album that pissed me off the most. It sounded like garbage, James' voice sounded like crap (for the first time much more noticeable than prior) and and the Metallica faithful ridiculed you if you didn't "get" how raw it sounded. Puh-leeeze.

Death Magnetic was actually okay...but I just cannot get past how different James' voice it. In fact after my last Metallica concert experience (so perfect...that story to follow later), that I swore off ever seeing another show. Nothing could top that experience. In the end, the fact that this is one of their only shows this year, the new Vikings stadium, and the chance of maybe them playing a few deeper cuts and new songs, I thought what the hell.

Really looking forward to tonight...hoping for an outstanding experience!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you enjoy the show too!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine, I get that stealing is stealing and I understand that there are many people that went too far. I am like dedguy, I would borrow someone's tape, make a copy, and if I liked it, buy a copy for myself. On the other hand, if it is a band I already know and enjoyed their previous releases, I would just buy the new album. There are not too many albums I instantly like, it takes a few sittings to fully get into it. I enjoy the album art and at the time, how else could you sing along with the lyrics printed on the jacket? There's a bathroom on the right, 'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy were no longer misheard lyrics and the real words were sung.

I remember Metallica opposing this when I was a teenager and money was tight. The very same way they got famous, they were now against it. In my eyes at the time, they were money hungry, greedy, hypocrite bastards. As a bass player and really getting into music of all genres, I could not afford to waste my money on crap music. How many albums have you bought that were pure shit? I would borrow someone's tape, copy it and return it to them the next day so I could see if I wanted to buy a copy of my own. I realize not everyone was doing this and just making copies and not pumping money into the system.

I'm sorry John for derailing this thread on you and causing a severe thread drift on a band you thoroughly enjoy.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sorry John for derailing this thread on you and causing a severe thread drift on a band you thoroughly enjoy.

No worries Petr! Difficult to have a Metallica discussion without this topic coming up, both sides being super passionate in their views.

I just like that we can have some good discussion about a band that at one time had (or still has) significant meaning to us, and not be asses about it.

I will be sure to post a few pictures tonight.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I think I have everything I need!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Volbeat!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
I like it! Has a "Ride the Lightning/And Justice For All" feel to it. His voice isn't what it once was, but this is a good song! Will look for the album. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
$10.25 for a 20 0z can of Miller Lite!!!
I don't think so.
Good thing I got my buzz on a few hours ago!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
The funny thing is I didn't think St. Anger was that bad. I'll fully admit it's their weakest album ever and there's nothing that can make "Invisible Kid" or "Dirty Windows" listenable, but a lot of the other songs are savable with a little editing, some polishing, and half assed recording/mixing techniques in an actual real studio.

I've never really understood why every Metallica album has to be mana delivered by the gods while most of the shit produced these days gets a pass.

Posts: 4165 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Avenged 7Fold!

Bring on fucking Metallica!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Hail to the King!

Love this tune!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Totally disagree. If it weren't for thieves illegally downloading content my house would be paid off, I'd have a nice 6 figure bank account and close to seven figures in my retirement. Got damn POS thieves. Stealing is stealing. If you like it and want it then pay for it. When you want a gun do you steal it from the LGS or pay for it legally?

The music industry made their own bed, they not only refused to embrace technological change, but illegally colluded to fix prices. The combination of those actions drove would be consumers to black markets.

Posts: 594 | Registered: November 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Random observation- the lead singer for Avenged has the Pit in his hands. He could say, "I want you fuckers to kick the ass if this dude in the red shirt!!!" And I really believe the dude in the read shirt would end up bloody. Scary if you think about it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Another random observation. When I saw Metallica in January of 2000, prior to the band coming out the cameraman was scanning the crowd and focusing on hot women. The crowd would chant "show us your tits!", and in nearly every case, they did.

No such luxury tonight. In today's age, it would be all over YouTube tomorrow and the cameraman would likely be fired be the end of the day.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I grew up on Metallica. Yes, I'm that fan.

I loved everything up until Black, hated the Load/Reload albums, and went against the grain with St. Anger. I actually like that album. It has the "garage" feel. I even like Death Magnetic for the most part, kind of soft though on some songs.

I remember when Cliff died. Jason did a good job filling in. I'm a big Suicidal fan, so I love Trujillo on bass.

I'll buy this album.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
And we're off!!!

Opening song Creeping Death!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
I saw them 20 years ago, they played nothing but the old school first 3 albums and it was an awesome show. Jerry Cantrell opened for them and literally got booed off the stage. So James came out and started talking to the crowd getting it under control and he said/asked "So I take it you guys don't wanna here any the Load album bullshit?" The crowd cheered.

They knew it was shit. They've admitted that over the years they changed style to adapt to younger audiences. I just stopped listening. I'll pop in my Live in Mexico city albums if I want to hear Live metallica.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
I listened to the audio stream of the concert. Not bad. I like that they added a couple little "doodles" or little individual parts in between a couple of songs.

And it was good to hear the new song played live. Though I'm pretty sure everyone pretty much expected that after it was released a couple days ago.

The thing that disappoints me (and their concert the night before the Superbowl was the same way) was the fact that they didn't play a single song from St. Anger or Death Magnetic. And I kinda get the St. Anger thing (though I think it's a decent album) but by pretty much all accounts, DM was a solid album.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
And it was good to hear the new song played live. Though I'm pretty sure everyone pretty much expected that after it was released a couple days ago.

In my opinion it was one of the best songs of the night.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ