SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly>
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Metallica - Post up your reviews of the new album - <The Good the Bad, and the Ugly> Login/Join 
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Never seen Avenged Sevenfold though I like a lot of their songs. This would have been a good show to see.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Fuck ya, I'll have to crank it tomorrow. I guess I'm a weird fan in the sense that I never decided they were sell outs or shit after any album. I favor the RTL, MOP, and AJFA as the golden age, but I like all their stuff for different reasons. I do tend to skip stuff from load, reload and St anger on the iPod more often than the other stuff.

How's the show ronin? I still have yet to see them live, never was much of a concert guy but always wanted to go to see Metallica.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Review and setlist...

http://www.startribune.com/met...m-concert/390825651/

http://www.twincities.com/2016...s-bank-stadium-show/

Here’s the full Metallica set list from Saturday’s concert:

Creeping Death

For Whom the Bell Tolls

Fuel

King Nothing

The Memory Remains

The Unforgiven

Leper Messiah

Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

Sad But True

Wherever I May Roam

One

Master of Puppets

Battery

Fade to Black

Seek & Destroy

ENCORE:

Hardwired

Whiskey in the Jar

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stopped listening after Justice but it's good to see they are still going. They kinda went country there for a while but the new track sounds alright.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Meh.

I've been a fan since day one. Seen them several times over the years.

I guess I just don't like anything post Reload / post Newstead / post S&M.

Frankly, these days I'd rather hear the Bluegrass covers of their music most of the time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
Huge fan... always have been.

BUt this one underwhelms me.

It is like they are TRYING too hard to be "garage metal" like they first started.

Metallica fans are some of the most self righteous, snobbish people on the planet. The original hipsters if you will. "I only like everything "the Black ALbum" and earlier" and the more "metal hipster" ones who say "well I only like Master of Puppets and earlier." Then you have the douchiest of metal hipsters who say they only like them when they practiced in a rented garage space and hadn't even played at the Whiskey A-go-go yet....

They are trying to cater too much to the metal douchbags who want to judge them for evolving as a band and making the "Load" and "Reload" albums, or playing with the symphony after that.

Ever since Metallica stopped trying to be themselves, right around St. Anger when they forced trying to go back to sounding like they did when they first came onto the scene, they became a cartoon...

I'll check the rest of the album out, but this screams of them trying to cater to the vision that their overweight, obnoxious fans who can't let the past go want.

(No offense intended to the the people in this thread, this is not directed at any of you.)

For the most part I agree with every word in your post, Kevin.

I'm a "everything pre-Master, sucks". With the caveat that I will admit to at least liking, and in some cases really liking some of the newer stuff.

For fans of Metallica's brand of music, you cannot blame them for being butt-hurt. The Black Album was rock, but metal?

Load and Reload? 27 songs between them and I'll tolerate Until it Sleeps, King Nothing, and Memory Remains. (Marylyn Faithful makes that song for me) Poor Jason Newsted, they made him cut his hair and put on makeup. No wonder he left!

St Anger...THIS was the album that pissed me off the most. It sounded like garbage, James' voice sounded like crap (for the first time much more noticeable than prior) and and the Metallica faithful ridiculed you if you didn't "get" how raw it sounded. Puh-leeeze.

Death Magnetic was actually okay...but I just cannot get past how different James' voice it. In fact after my last Metallica concert experience (so perfect...that story to follow later), that I swore off ever seeing another show. Nothing could top that experience. In the end, the fact that this is one of their only shows this year, the new Vikings stadium, and the chance of maybe them playing a few deeper cuts and new songs, I thought what the hell.

Really looking forward to tonight...hoping for an outstanding experience!

See, I actually LIKE their evolution, and the evolution of "Metal."

Looking at the first album, "Kill 'Em All" which was very raw, growling, screaming, and in a way "new" and then moving forward is an experience. Moving on to Ride the Lightening and Master of Puppets has some of the raw elements, yet some of the longer almost pre ballad type songs and some instrumentals. The solos got better, the actual MUSIC got better. Less garage band screaming and more melody and gosh, singing...

Then Justice, and the Black album.... Each one more evolved. Not necessarily better or worse, just different in sequence of changes. Then to Load and Reload which further made them what some call less "Metal" but more "musical" IMO.

More technical, more melodic, more... well everything...

But with St Anger, Death Magnetic and this new single, it sounds like they are contracting their song writing to teenagers in a garage. I imagine them writing a while album worth of songs, producing them, and then listening to them over and over and then throwing them in the trash. I picture them saying to themselves "Oh crap, people are gonna think we are sellouts, how do we change this to make us sound like crap and like we just started making music with cheap equipment and poor acoustics (while using the most expensive equipment and professional studios.)

It seems to me the music equivalent of the smart kid who tries to appear stupid so he doesn't get made fun of for being a "nerd" by the other kids in class.

But, I've only listened to the new song twice and will check the album out anyway. Maybe I'm wrong and it will grow on me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Okay...one more Metallica post. Was looking around the net for additional reviews of last night show and found this list by Spin. For the most part I agree with the writer's list.

I'm still bitter that they never play Disposable Heroes live, (#40 on the list), but maybe I connect with the song because it is the first Metallica song I ever heard, and was played for me by a now gone friend in the Marine Corps.

Spin ranks all 151 Metallica songs

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you had a good time, good cigar and cervesa as well!

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
http://www.startribune.com/met...m-concert/390825651/

So this is kinda cool -

If you open the review I posted above, and click the links of the setlist, it gives you some pretty cool trivia about each song.

For example, Master of Puppets:

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/so...ng=Master+of+Puppets

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Hardwired played live for the first time ever last night...my random observations:

- Drops the F-Bomb a few times so NSFW
- They look like they are having a lot of fun
- It really rocks, easily top-3 of last night's songs
- You can tell they have not played it much yet, all of them (especially James) spend a lot of time watching their fingers on the neck and frets of the guitar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
I stopped listening after Justice but it's good to see they are still going. They kinda went country there for a while but the new track sounds alright.

Anyone that quit after Justice or Black album should give Death Magnetic a try. This new song sounds pretty much like Death Magnetic. Honestly after a few listens I think it's the best album since Justice. Not a bad song on it. The Black Album isn't bad. It was way overproduced by Bob Rock compared to everything before it. At the time I thought Metallica sold out. But I recently started listening to it again and I do kinda like it.

The only thing in this new song that bothers me is the forced vulgarity. I'm fine with saying fuck or shit but usually that's just a word of emphasis, not a major part of a lyric. Okay, "So What" is the exception but only because it's so over the top. Big Grin

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like watching some of the reaction videos on youtube. The ones with people trying to disect the song and tell you everything they know about an artist I don't really care for. I like watching some of the ones from just normal people. Just the everyday fans.

I liked this one Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke8qZXtdaHQ

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I like the live version more, as usual:

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by STS:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Totally disagree. If it weren't for thieves illegally downloading content my house would be paid off, I'd have a nice 6 figure bank account and close to seven figures in my retirement. Got damn POS thieves. Stealing is stealing. If you like it and want it then pay for it. When you want a gun do you steal it from the LGS or pay for it legally?

The music industry made their own bed, they not only refused to embrace technological change, but illegally colluded to fix prices. The combination of those actions drove would be consumers to black markets.

But yet that's a blanket statement on all of us musicians and record label personnel. What if you rolled on your own label? I ran my own record label and people I worked for had their own label. None of us had anything to do with the corporate labels doing dumb shit.

Instead, whether the music is corporate or INDEPENDENT, everyone gets fucked. Because people don't think it's stealing when they do it from their tablet at home. You download things illegally, then you are a thief. Records, albums, etc, were never that expensive to begin with.

You're wrong. Those are excuses for people to justify thievery.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12637 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gong Show
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough to be at the show in Minneapolis last night as well with Mr. Gong Show. Ronin, I think we were a couple of sections over from you.

Everything north of my hips is still recovering from headbanging for about five straight hours. As mentioned prior, beer was the approximate cost of one's right arm. Not for the first time, I was glad I don't drink. There were cheese curds that looked amazing, but for $17, naaahh. I was incredibly glad I wore very stout hearing protection all night.

I've been a die hard Metallica fan since I heard the Black Album. It was 1993 and I was 10. (Late to the party, I know!) I remember it being the first time I legitimately argued with my mom over music choice. She didn't think it was appropriate and tried to confiscate it. I just kept buying new copies. I wasn't as much of a fan of anything from Load through St. Anger (ugh!), but I loved the S&M collaboration with Michael Kamen and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra. It was my two passions coming together - Metallica and symphonies. Definitely looking forward to the new album.

I thought the show itself was great, though I have to admit that James' voice isn't nearly what it was when I saw Metallica when I was in high school. But after 35 years of punishing his vocal chords with how he sings, I'm surprised he still sounds as good as he does. Volbeat was great as well. I enjoy how they always open Sad Man's Tongue with Ring of Fire. It was kind of shame for Volbeat that they started their set at 6:15. The sun was coming straight in through the glass roof and side of the stadium which made it way too bright. I'm not a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan, but I do love the opening guitar solo of Buried Alive. Either way, I think they all did a great job.

Plus, it was kind of nice to see what $1.3 billion buys us in a football stadium. I think we can officially consider US Bank Stadium broken in.

View from our seats during One:

------
Weird is a side effect of awesome.

Posts: 70 | Location: The Armpit of the Frozen North, USA | Registered: January 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A few more pics from my vantage point...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I heard it on the radio for the first time. Huge Metallica fan! The last 2 "albums" were so terrible that I literally made myself forget they existed after hearing them. Two years later I heard St. Anger play and realized I had blanked it out of my memory.

The new single is pretty awesome and reminded me of a mix of Metallica and Megadeth.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Look at all those cellphone screens.

People watching Metallica live...on their phones.

There's been a bunch of clips from the concert make its way to various social media sites by now. Was anybody headbanging because I'm not seeing it in the clips? Mosh Pit? Or was everybody just looking at their phones?

Sad.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
But yet that's a blanket statement on all of us musicians and record label personnel. What if you rolled on your own label? I ran my own record label and people I worked for had their own label. None of us had anything to do with the corporate labels doing dumb shit.

Instead, whether the music is corporate or INDEPENDENT, everyone gets fucked. Because people don't think it's stealing when they do it from their tablet at home. You download things illegally, then you are a thief. Records, albums, etc, were never that expensive to begin with.

You're wrong. Those are excuses for people to justify thievery.

Prefontaine,

As someone involved in the industry, I'm curious as to your opinion of used record and CD sales. The vast majority of my music collection is used CDs. I don't copy them and resell, but I do rip them to my music server and store the discs in a closet. Obviously, the the artist or record label receives no benefit. As such, the end result is the same as an illegal download. Am I stealing? I'm not looking for an argument, just your insightful opinion.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:

Prefontaine,

As someone involved in the industry, I'm curious as to your opinion of used record and CD sales. The vast majority of my music collection is used CDs. I don't copy them and resell, but I do rip them to my music server and store the discs in a closet. Obviously, the the artist or record label receives no benefit. As such, the end result is the same as an illegal download. Am I stealing? I'm not looking for an argument, just your insightful opinion.

There's a pawn shop here in town that sells used CD's 3 for $1.00. I'm all over it.

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post