SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Right? I guess that settled that. Big Grin

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I wonder if Djarin will eventually grudgingly accept the title of Mandalore in the end, thus filling the role that Fett himself eventually occupied in the pre-Disney EU, since Fett is now not an official Mandalorian in the new canon.

He doesn't want it now, but neither did Fett in the beginning.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
“I am.”

Now that is the entrance we have been waiting for for so long.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
I definitely am not disappointed.

As far as Fett goes, my personal opinion is that he has enough right to call himself a mandalorian as anyone else. If he isn't it is by choice.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very interesting episode. A couple of thoughts:

- My first thought when Mando was getting out of the shuttle was that a little bit of hustle might help. Could have completely avoided that fight if he hadn’t just casually strolled through the bay.
- How strong is Beskar armor? It seems a little too invulnerable to me.
- Gun jam? Really? Last week too when one named on Mando, and he threw the gun like in the old cheap westerns. Except for these two episodes, I don’t think I’ve seen a blaster ever “jam”
- Pretty obvious who the mystery guest at the end was as soon as they came aboard
- Think the whole “rules” thing about the Darksabre was a bit silly, especially since they made fun of Mando for the not taking off the helmet thing.
- Loved the smack talk between Boba and the real Mandalorians. Could have watched that all day.
- Did the Dark Trooper project use up all of the budget? Can’t the Empire pony up for some color security camera monitors?
- Be interesting to see where the series goes from here.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
- How strong is Beskar armor? It seems a little too invulnerable to me.

Strongest metal in the universe, the only one able to stand up to lightsabers (for a time), and nigh-invulnerable to lasers.

quote:
- Gun jam? Really? Last week too when one named on Mando, and he threw the gun like in the old cheap westerns. Except for these two episodes, I don’t think I’ve seen a blaster ever “jam”

An excuse for Gina Carano to get physical, rather than just standing there and shooting.

quote:
- Pretty obvious who the mystery guest at the end was as soon as they came aboard

Yep. Didn't make it any less cool, though.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
- Think the whole “rules” thing about the Darksabre was a bit silly, especially since they made fun of Mando for the not taking off the helmet thing.

Depends on who you are. Just like they thought Mando was silly for his belief in never removing his helmet, he obviously didn't give a crap about their rule for the darksaber. He was just going to hand it over, and even after hearing it had to be won, he just said "I yield". All depend on what your belief system is as to whether the rules matter or not. But really all they have to do is hand it back to Moff Gideon and have Bo Katan and him go at it.

- Did the Dark Trooper project use up all of the budget? Can’t the Empire pony up for some color security camera monitors?

Remember this is the Imperial remnant, the Empire is scattered and not united. And the monitors and screens are always shitty 1980s Atari level in Star Wars

Yes it was obvious who it was who had arrived, but it was still freakin awesome.

And after the credits.... Sweet! The EE-3 carbine is back!

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Remember this is the Imperial remnant, the Empire is scattered and not united.

Right. Under the new Disney canon, the bulk of the Imperial forces surrendered under the Galactic Concordance peace treaty after their final stand at the disastrous Battle of Jakku, a year after the 2nd Death Star was destroyed at Endor, and 4 years before the events of The Mandalorian. So the "Galactic Empire" hasn't existed for 4 years by now.

All that's left of the Empire now are scattered Imperial Remnants, basically independent former-Imperial-officers-turned-warlords who ignored the official Imperial surrender and decided to try to keep control over whatever they can hold of their former forces and territory. But many of them will be like Moff Gideon: very weakened, with limited men, equipment, and resources. Hence why Gideon doesn't have fleets of Star Destroyers and legions of Stormtroopers like we saw under the Empire... Moff Gideon simply doesn't have the resource base to support a military of that size. Instead, he has just some small units of ground forces, a few ragged remaining outposts like the refinery from the last episode and the cliffside research base, a mere light cruiser as his flagship, and a smattering of smaller craft like the transport that the Mandalorian squad hijacked on the ocean planet and the shuttles and TIEs seen in a few episodes. That's all that remains of his forces, and all that he can supply/support with his limited resources.

There are at least a handful of other Remnants remaining in various places around the remote Outer Rim and the even further Unknown Regions, including one particular Imperial Remnant under Admiral Sloane that would develop over the next few decades into what became the First Order from the sequel trilogy. (Provided Disney doesn't de-canonize the events of the sequel trilogy, like they're rumored to possibly be considering.) But it remains to be seen exactly how many Imperial Remnants remain under the new canon. In addition to Moff Gideon's, and Admiral Sloane's that would become the First Order, it sounds like there's almost certainly one more out there under Admiral Thrawn. So at least 3, and likely more than that.

In the pre-Disney EU, there were about a dozen Imperial Remnants under control of various former Imperial warlords that continued to exist after the fall of the Empire proper. Some of these EU Imperial Remnants still held sizeable territories and had access to significant resources, and therefore had large fleets consisting of multiple Star Destroyers and even Super Star Detroyers and numerous smaller ships. (Clearly way better off than Moff Gideon...) These Remnants battled on against the Republic and among themselves for about 15 years after Endor, before they were all either outright defeated, or the final groups eventually signed a peace treaty with the Republic. The remaining final Imperials were then allowed to continue holding a small portion of their territory in the Outer Rim as just another political faction within the Republic as a whole, and even fought as part of the Republic military during the Yuuzhan Vong War about 5 years later.

But that's all non-canon now.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up bringing back some of the major warlords from the pre-Disney EU and incorporating them and their Remnants into canon with some changes, like they did with Thrawn. This would likely include the forces led by Admiral Pelleon, who has already made new canon appearances in the Rebels show alongside Thrawn, as well as probably the ones under Admiral Daala, perhaps in the upcoming new Rogue Squadron movie set for release in 2023. (Daala was the leader of the main Imperial Remnant antagonists in the Rogue Squadron pre-Disney EU book series.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
So the DarkSabre® is like the ElderWand™?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Holy shit!

And double holy shit after the credits!

Now that episode was some mother f%&$ing star wars!

The Book of Boba Fett coming December 2021....

So The Mandalorian is done?

Color me confused. Have pity as I possess no Star Wars knowledge base. Just an old man here who enjoys some of this stuff. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
not sure if the book of fett will be another series taking place at the same time as the mandalorian, or if season 3 is about fett while we take a break from Din.

or fett is a short series of episodes and season 3 is dealing with din and bokatan and the darksaber

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
not sure if the book of fett will be another series taking place at the same time as the mandalorian, or if season 3 is about fett while we take a break from Din.

or fett is a short series of episodes and season 3 is dealing with din and bokatan and the darksaber

I've been wondering this too, could be looked at either way.

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I am a bit concerned Season 3 will not feature Baby Yoda. I want to watch his show.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I am a bit concerned Season 3 will not feature Baby Yoda.

It most likely will not.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
May have been said before, but unless the Dark Sabre is won in combat the new posessor receives bad luck as a result.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Ya know...

If you carry the Baby Yoko story forward, doesn't her eventually get slaughtered by Ben Solo at Luke's Jedi Academy?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Damn.

That was awesome.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Ya know...

If you carry the Baby Yoko story forward, doesn't her eventually get slaughtered by Ben Solo at Luke's Jedi Academy?

Depends on a couple factors:

1) Whether Disney is keeping the sequel trilogy as canon. (I mentioned in my earlier post that they're rumored to be considering dropping it.)

2) Ben Solo's destruction of the Academy takes place 19 years after the events of The Mandalorian, so Grogu very well may have completed his training and left the academy over the intervening two decades, or even been sent to off with someone else (perhaps as Ahsoka's Padawan, for example).

posted Hide Post
Hold on....is that beskar spear retractable? That thing is flying around like its a lot smaller than when we saw it in ep.5 Eek

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
When he first acquires it, it's shown to be about a foot taller than Djarin.

But in this last episode, he carries it strapped to his back next to the jetpack, and when doing so, it doesn't seem to protrude very far downward below his jetpack nor very far over his head. Certainly didn't appear to be as long as a 7ish foot spear. So it somehow loses a few feet somewhere?

However, they never explicitly show it retracting or extending. So it may just wonky prop continuity between a full-sized version and a smaller stunt "moving around with it on his back" version (where they lopped some of it off to prevent it from impeding the actor's movements and getting caught on the scenery).