SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Mandalorian (Disney+)
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 34
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mandalorian (Disney+) Login/Join 
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm lucky to not know who Bill Burr is other than his performance in this show. I thought the role was well played. One of my problem's with the movie Solo was Woody Harrelson. I've watched Solo a few times and I can't get over that it's Woody Harrelson. I didn't have an issue with Paul Bettany because he played the same character he usually plays.

My question would be if Mando actually understood Boba Fett's reference to Fett's face being well known.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
I thought Burr was great last week. Not in a "comedian in a guest role" great, actually great. He managed to put on a nuanced performance that I didn't really expect him to be capable of. I hope we see him again, that character is too deep for just a couple of guest shots. There is also the issue of he's the only living person to have seen Mando's face...

He nailed the part due to his non-verbal reactions after Kara Dune brings him over to the Slave-1, has one reaction seeing Fett but, then see's Djarin and has a completely different reaction. His facial movement, eyes and shoulders were spot on. I think that nuance is something that comedians have an innate advantage which allows them to transition into acting easier than other entertainers.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by copaup:
I thought Burr was great last week. Not in a "comedian in a guest role" great, actually great.

I had no idea that actor was a 'comedian.' I was really impressed with his performance, though. Comedian or not, he really portrayed a great character. I hope we see him again.

And, if nobody seems to remember the Jedi anymore, I'm thinking even less people would remember Boba Fett. I mean, Palpatine and Vader literally ruled the galaxy; Luke was a rebel hero who helped defeat the empire and single-handedly destroyed a Death Star. Compared to those two, Fett was small potatoes, and likely entirely unknown outside the 'shady' bounty hunter circles. . .

Also, the flaw in the second Death Star was put there on purpose. Palpatine allowed the plans to get out. He WANTED the rebels to attack; hence the reason he hid the Imperial fleet. Were the Death Star so perfect that there was no chance to destroy it, why would the rebels attack it in the first place.

The plan fell apart by Palpatine failing to believe that the ground troops could succeed against "an entire LEGION of my best troops" and take down the shield generator. Once that happened, the legit flaw that had to be there to act as bait was a real threat.

Of course, by this point, Palps was already dead. . . Luke said it: "Your overconfidence will be your downfall." That was true in more than one way (Vader turning on him was the big one).

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
And, if nobody seems to remember the Jedi anymore, I'm thinking even less people would remember Boba Fett. I mean, Palpatine and Vader literally ruled the galaxy; Luke was a rebel hero who helped defeat the empire and single-handedly destroyed a Death Star. Compared to those two, Fett was small potatoes, and likely entirely unknown outside the 'shady' bounty hunter circles. . .

If you're talking about Boba Fett's line about his face again, I'll reiterate that it's not that Boba Fett the person is recognizable... It's that he literally looks just like every single one of the millions of Clone Troopers made alongside him.

If you're talking about Mayfield's reaction to Boba Fett when first he walked out of the ship, it's that he was a Mandalorian. Mayfield didn't necessarily recognize him as "Boba Fett" in particular, but Mandalorians in general would be well-known among mercenaries like Mayfield, and Mayfield specifically has had a previous traumatic encounter with one Mandalorian in particular (as he immediately points out).

But who knows... As a criminal/mercenary, Mayfield very well could know of Boba Fett. It's certainly more likely than a random upstanding citizen knowing who Boba Fett is.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

If you're talking about Mayfield's reaction to Boba Fett when first he walked out of the ship, it's that he was a Mandalorian.

Not to be obtuse, argumentative, or anything, but is Boba Fett a Mandalorian? My son and I were talking about it on the way to school this morning and my son thinks there's more to being a Mandalorian than being raised by one for 10 years.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Well, we don't really know.

(And that's not really pertinent to the scene with Mayfield specifically, because he looked like a Mandalorian, and that's all that matters there. If it was Marshall Vanth who walked down the ramp in Boba Fett's scavenged armor, Mayfield would have reacted the same.)

In the pre-Disney and pre-prequel Star Wars Extended Universe, Boba Fett was a Mandalorian, with no questions asked. He was recognized as such by other Mandalorians, and even went on to rule the Mandalorian people for a period.

After the prequel trilogy and the new twist on his backstory, this question emerged about whether he was truly an official Mandalorian. His father was, and he clearly raised Boba as a Mandalorian and taught him to fight with Mandalorian equipment. But you're correct that he was only under the care of his Mandalorian father for ~10 years before Jango was killed. From there, he bounced around between foster families and various gangs until setting out on his own to be a bounty hunter.

And now, post-Disney, they've thrown out all the pre-Disney EU stuff as "non-canon", so we know even less about Boba Fett's official backstory and how he fits into the Mandalorian culture or is viewed by other Mandalorians in the "official" Star Wars Universe.

Djarin doesn't seem to have any quibbles with Boba's claims to the armor and to being a Mandalorian, especially after Boba showed him his clan lineage or pedigree papers or Official Mandalorian Club Member Certificate or whatever that schematic was in the earlier episode. But we don't yet really know how the whole Mandalorian culture works anyway. Is there some ritual or test that has to be passed before someone can be considered an official Mandalorian, especially if they weren't even born a Mandalorian like Djarin himself? If so, has Boba undergone the same ritual/test? How does one official Mandalorian tell another official Mandalorian from someone who's just doing a really good job of pretending to be a Mandalorian?

These are all questions that Disney has yet to flesh out in their "new Star Wars canon".

But Star Wars aside, let's say that you were adopted as a brand new newborn by a German family. You were raised German, taught the German language and customs, and then your German adopted family was killed at the age of 10. From then on, you were raised in a variety of foster homes in different cultures for a few years before you ran away and struck out on your own. Are you considered German? Do you consider yourself German?

For purposes of passports, you'd probably still qualify as German thanks to the adoption paperwork. And you'd know much of the German language and culture, even with just 10 years experience.

But are you really German?

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that being born on Mandalore made someone a Mandalorian and then there are people who belong to groups or clans that abide by various Mandalorian codes or adhere to different Mandalorian cultures. I wonder if non humanoid species have ever been Mandalorian? Imagine that armor made for a wookie.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it explained in one of the early episodes that what makes one a Mandalorian is a creed, not necessarily a race?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. They're a culture, not a race, hence how Foundlings like Djarin can become Mandalorians. (But as Djarin himself discovered when he met Bo Katan, what he thought was an overarching Mandalorian creed and way of life turned out to be just one small splinter sect of a much larger overall Mandalorian culture.)

Still, I don't see them being as egalitarian as "Anyone who wants to be can claim to be a Mandalorian and we'll accept them".

They're much too militaristic and insular for that. Hence my speculation that there's some way that someone has to "earn their stripes" through something like a ritual, test, or quest in order to be considered an official Mandalorian.

It remains to be seen what exactly that is, and whether Boba Fett has met that requirement (which I suspect he almost certainly has), or if he's just mimicking what he learned from his father plus whatever else he picked up along the way and is just doing a really good job of passing himself off as a Mandalorian.

Between The Mandalorian and the upcoming Boba Fett series that's currently shooting, I expect we'll know a lot more about Mandalorian culture and Boba Fett's new official history before too long.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. There has to be more to being a Mandalorian than wearing a set of armor and saying "This is the way." I took the return of the armor to Boba Fett as Djarin's acceptance that Fett had a valid claim to it rather than that Djarin believed Fett was a Mandalorian.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
10/10 Laughs.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/VEKCaWkwXb4

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mandalorian culture was largely a tribal-martial culture. Its a clan hierarchy that was defined by martial competence and colonization which included assimilating different worlds into the culture. Internal points of friction was exacerbated by the tribal-nature of the culture which resulted in two civil wars in a 20-year period prior to A New Hope or, Battle of Yaven. Some parts of the culture wanted to pursue a more pacifist direction and other parts continued to pursue its long-time martial culture, all to varying degrees.

Djarin is from Aq Vetina and raised as an adopted member of the Death Watch (according to Bo-Katan), which is the more extreme of the martial sub-types within Mandalorian culture. Given their overall size, terrorism and subversion is their main tactic against the mainstream Mandalorian culture. Death Watch resembles a cult given their deep reverence towards their weapons, armor, its usage and strict and inflexible adherence to specific morays and beliefs such as the Creed.

Remains to be seen of Djarin's path to becoming a bounty hunter, his connections to Death Watch and now his interactions with non-Death Watch Mandalorian's like Bo-Katan and her group.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Holy shit!

And double holy shit after the credits!

Now that episode was some mother f%&$ing star wars!

Even a mcklunky reference! Excellent season finale.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’m nerding out. I’m going to carry that lightsaber all day today.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me, I have to wait for the wife and kids to get home to watch it tonight. Unless...

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The original Fett, Jeremy Bulloch just died two days ago

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Holy shit!!!! What an episode!!! What a way to end the season.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was an awesome episode, what a way to wrap up the season!

Posts: 760 | Location: Athol, ID | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Holy shit!

Pay attention, J. J. Abrams/Kathleen Kennedy... School is now in session, and Dr. Jon Favreau is laying down a masterclass on how you do fan service right. Not that sequel trilogy milk-drinking curmudgeon/Space Mary Poppins bullshit.

And definitely stick around for the post-credits scene.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
but is Boba Fett a Mandalorian?

Turns out we didn't have to wait long for an answer.

[Very minor episode spoilers ahead...]

"You are not a Mandalorian."
"... I never claimed to be."

So in the new Disney canon, Boba Fett isn't considered a Mandalorian, and doesn't consider himself to be one.

Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pay attention, J. J. Abrams/Kathleen Kennedy... School is now in session, and Dr. Jon Favreau is laying down a masterclass on how you do fan service right. Not that sequel trilogy milk-drinking curmudgeon/Space Mary Poppins bullshit.

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Add in True Disciple Dave Filoni!

I am so happy, I am walking around the house with my stunt lightsaber (sometimes in kendo class we do lightsaber night...really).......I won't say what color the blade is. Wink Big Grin

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post