SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What have you been reading?
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 41
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What have you been reading? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
"Sunk Without a Sound" by Brad Dimock. Story of a couple that go on a rafting honeymoon trip in the Grand Canyon but are never seen again. I knew of the story but not the book, it was good if you have an interest in this sort of story. Lots of ideas, lots of characters, all real people. This was mentioned in the PBS series "America's Best Idea - National Parks".

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Finished Babylon's Ashes earlier this month.
That's books 1-6 of The Expanse in about 3 months.

Currently about 1/2 through Dave Grohl's The Storyteller

Finished Grohl's book, good read.
About to start boxing up all the books in anticipation of the impending move.
Once that's sorted, going to try to pick up the last 3 Expanse books & the novella compilation.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Guns of John Moses Browning by Nathan Gorenstein. Very interesting and well researched book on JMB.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Currently, I'm reading Elmore Leonard's Hombre, the book upon which the 1967 film is based. I find Leonard to be an excellent writer; such a straightforward style, a pleasure to read, and tales always well-told.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Almost done with Into Thin Air.
Have seen the recent movie a few times, much more informative about the whole series of events from the book.

Hoping to finish up The Expanse soon.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Currently, I'm reading Elmore Leonard's Hombre, the book upon which the 1967 film is based. I find Leonard to be an excellent writer; such a straightforward style, a pleasure to read, and tales always well-told.

I agree about his style. I have not read nearly all of his work, but enjoyed what I have. It is amazing that his short story Fire in the Hole was stretched out on the screen to six seasons of Justified.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m about 100 pages into an Easton Press edition of Jules Verne’s The Mysterious Island. I loved the movie growing up, so I just had to read it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17245 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A Farewell to Arms. Hemingway. He’s probably my favorite author, and I’ve read most of his work. The Barnes and Noble Bookstore lost its lease to a health food store. B&N is not gone forever, but will move to another location. They plan to be down for the better part of a year, and are in the process of a major inventory reduction; accordingly, books are half off or better. The store was pretty well picked over when we were there, but I was shopping for “classics” and walked out with 7 that will keep me busy for quite awhile.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Every Tool’s a Hammer - Adam Savage

Kind of inspiring.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Ben Sasse’s Them: Why We Hate Each Other--and How to Heal . Interesting book.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Started Bad Blood, about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos, and how they bilked investors out of over a billion dollars by faking the results of a revolutionary product they were trying to bring to market. Very interesting so far.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just started a re read of "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand.

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Just ordered Fierce Valor. Book about Ronald Speirs.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Just finished "The Kings of Texas", by Don Graham, the history of the King Ranch and that area of Texas. I thought it was pretty good, the really wild west!!

Also, " the Pueblo Revolt", in 1680 the Indians in New Mexico revolted and threw out the Spanish, it was quite a story. I've read a lot of Dave Roberts' books and he tells a good story, well researched.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Going to reread Isaac Asimov‘s foundation series at least original three and the four prequels.

I bought all the double day hardbound book club editions issues off of eBay. That was kind of fun. Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Started Bad Blood, about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos, and how they bilked investors out of over a billion dollars by faking the results of a revolutionary product they were trying to bring to market. Very interesting so far.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Over the years, reporters for the WSJ have uncovered all kinds of nefarious activites. The trial has been interesting. She deserves 20 years.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Just finished The Secret Sentry - a good history on the NSA. Eye opening about its successes and its failures and gives a lot of detail on just how dysfunctional it really is.

Recommend it to anyone with an interest in history.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The Scorpion's Tale by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
The Flying Tigers by Sam Kleiner

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been reading (again) my copy of "The Art of War".

It's principles can be applied to just about anything, it is a great learning tool!

"People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf."

Posts: 6 | Location: Penna. | Registered: May 24, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post